1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Bros. CEO Says DC Film Series Announcement Is Coming

Discussion in 'DC Live-Action Movies and Television' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2014.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

In a recent profile of Kevin Tsujihara, Warner Bros. CEO, in The New York Times, the executive suggested that the studio will take a more "aggressive" approach to bringing the DC Comics universe to the screen.

2. Goldstar Neo

Goldstar Neo Good Morning!

In other words, Warner Brothers and DC want their own equivalent of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but who can blame them? Marvel is on a hot streak right now with their live action movies.

WB is taking a risk by hoping that fans are willing to wait another 2 years for the Man of Steel sequel, which likely means that the Justice League movie might not happen until around 2020.

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'll believe it when I see it happen. They've got one movie lined up.

4. reflection01

reflection01 Well-Known Member

No doubt they want to build their own cinematic universe.

The key questions are (1) What took them so long? and (2) Will the movies be any good?

5. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

At this point I've gotten used to the way DC films seem like graphic novel takes on their characters. It means not being tied to other character arcs and what happened to them in their movie. Nolan created a dark complex Batman universe with minimal characters and specific rules. I enjoyed this aspect of those films. I would like to see a filmmakers take on other individual characters be it Superman or Flash family whatever. To copy MARVEL with the MCU is ambitious and all but for DC they have a convoluted massive universe involving heroes from multiple time periods with the same name and powers. Not that non comic fans would know or care, but it is kinda tricky. Stuff like Watchmen and V for Vendetta seemed more up their alley.

6. Daikun

Daikun Long Live the Fighter!

I've lost interest in a DC Cinematic Universe by this point. As the disappointing Man of Steel has shown, they just want to Batmanify everything.

The reason Marvel's movies do so well is because they focus on FUN. Seeing darker versions of the Justice League characters would be boring.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Rock the Dragon

This. SO MUCH this.

If DC really wants in on some of that sweet, sweet box office candy, they need to concentrate on making their superhero movies fun. That's what makes Marvel's movies so great; they're never overly dark and while they deal with serious stories, they always find room for some fun and humor in them. The Nolan Batman films and Man of Steel had none of those things; they were all so grim and joyless that they were actually a turn-off. DC needs to learn that Batman isn't the be-all, end-all of their company's existence, and not every DC hero should be like Batman. Heck, even Batman doesn't have to be grimdark all the time.

8. Kindness King

Kindness King Active Member

Problem is, The Dark Knight Trilogy was a box-office powerhouse by the end. It may have been grimdark, but audiences didn't care because of the effects and action which was fun enough to make up for the dark tone. Man of Steel would have probably done better had they just let Nolan direct it instead of producing it, because he knows how to make a comic book movie fun even if it's gloomy. Why they feel it MUST be Zack Snyder in charge of Superman I have no idea.

9. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

I didn't find TDK grimdark at all. Now Batman Returns, on the other hand...

10. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

10 bucks says the new TV shows won't be actually tied with the new movies.

11. Stu

Stu Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
    Staff Member Administrator

This movie reeks of being made in a board room, with their attempts to shoe horn every viable franchise.

Putting their faith in Goyer after his terrible Man of Steel screenplay is further proof they don't -still know how to utilise their DC franchises.

I would expect more poor DC movies, if they ever get passed pre-production.

12. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

It's hard to make movies fun when the villains rack up genocide-tier body counts and leave cities looking like post-God Sodom and Gomorrah. (I didn't like Man of Steel, either).

I had no problem with Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze. Why can't we get a villian like that again?

13. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

One that's pure camp?

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Honestly, I think they'd do best doubling down on television, which I guess they are doing to a fair extent because of Arrow. I just would have liked to have seen them greenlight that "Amazon" thing and pioneering even more stuff for heroes too (yeah, heroes...we really have a show about freaking Constantine and nothing for Wonder Woman? Blargh). Last I checked Syfy was developing a Booster Gold show and, more recently, came around to the idea that a lot of their viewers might actually like to watch good sci-fi on their channel - crazy thought, huh? If that works, there's more that could and should happen along that line. Etc, etc.

That said, I don't discount the possibility Batman / Superman will both do well and actually lay good groundwork for related stuff. But yeah, they can't differentiate themselves from the "MCU" with a somber tone. Better to be seen as aping Marvel's approach than drawing criticism for being "joyless". Even Simpsons took a shot at Man of Steel last Sunday. I stood up for that movie in some ways back when it was in theaters, but I get where that comes from and it's a serious problem they need to recognize and deal with.

15. rggkjg1

rggkjg1 Batman v Superman

Not sure if this will end up being related to any upcoming announcements, but David Goyer is interested in Green Lantern:
    'Man of Steel's' David Goyer Would Like a Shot at 'Green Lantern' - Spinoff Online - TV, Film, and Entertainment News DailySpinoff Online – TV, Film, and Entertainment News Daily

As far as I'm concerned at this particular moment in time, I think it's obvious previous experience with different super hero/comic book films doesn't guarantee automatic success. Lets go down the list: Bryan Singer, X-Men to Superman. Nolan & Goyer, Batman to Superman. Zack Snyder, 300 to Watchmen to Superman. Hmmm, and ALL these examples involve a DC property (not sure if Mark Steven Johnson, Daredevil to Ghost Rider and Edgar Wright, Scott Pilgrim to Ant-Man are "relevant" enough to mention regarding this situation). Bring in new people. Don't have David Goyer write every movie and don't have Christopher Nolan "godfather" everything (because that worked out so well, whatever "godfathering" even means regarding production of Man Of Steel). If the ultimate goal is a Justice League film, coordinate efforts with potential separate groups of filmmakers. Joss Whedon's name isn't on every shared universe Marvel movie, and they seem to be doing OK.

#15 rggkjg1, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  16. WickedChild

WickedChild Kissing the shadows

Even if DC's movies were "joyless" (they're not), I'd still prefer joyless over soulless. Which is how I see Marvel's movies. They barely even qualify as movies. They're more like feature length trailers that only serve to promote the next upcoming movie-sode. Nothing of consequence ever happens in them. The villains are completely forgettable, other than maybe Loki. The stories, if you can call them that, basically serve as excuses to have the heroes show off their powers.

DC (and of course I'm really talking about Nolan's Batmans + Man of Steel) while certainly dark, at least feel like watching an actual movie with a beginning, middle, and end. The character arcs in each of those movies is far beyond anything we see in any Marvel movie, save for maybe the first Iron Man. I hate this new idea in Hollywood where everything has to tie in to everything else, and not just with superheros. It was cool at first, but now it's just obnoxious.

Also, let's stop acting like DC is desperate to shift gears after Man of Steel - no matter how much internet geeks hate to admit it, it was a massive international hit. Unlike Superman Returns, which they couldn't forget about fast enough, they're quite happy to get more like MoS, hence the continued employment of Goyer, Snyder, and Nolan. Sorry, MoS haters. The only thing they're eager to copy from Marvel apparently is a team-up movie. Just be happy Brian Singer is no longer there. He's the true definition of joyless. I have a feeling Days of Future Past is gonna be a masters class in how NOT to do a large-scale superhero teamup.