1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Warner Archive Animation Releases News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Checkerboard, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I thought this would be worthy of bringing up. I've asked Warner Archive through Twitter last week when will we get Swat Kats, Fish Police, 1992 Addams Family and The What A Cartoon Show on DVD...

The guy replied:

Patience, my fellow! I can tell you today, that one of the titles you mentioned should be available before Xmas. Stay tuned!

So, there you have it. :sweat:

I for one know that Swat Kats are relatively high on WBA's list of "to do" releases. Swat Kats will definetely be out within 12 months on DVD. As for Fish Police, they know about the show and haven't forgotten about it. Since it is just 6 episodes, it shouldn't be a bigger problem at some point. 1992 Addams Family was highly popular and since the 70's version was recently released, it is only logical that the newer one will follow at some point. As for What A Cartoon Show...that one is in the air at the moment and I wouldn't hold my breath on it yet. Chances are it will come later than sooner.

Which of those four cartoons will be out before Christmas do you think?
    Which one would you like to come out the most?

WBA has also mentioned there will be many classic animated series coming out in 2011, which is good to hear.

My personal opinion is that the one show released before Christmas will be either Fish Police or 1992 Addams Family.

Share your thoughts.

2. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Fish Police? That show was a massive flop (even the Simpsons made reference to its failure in a Halloween special) and I don't think there's too many die-hard fans of it out. With the incredible amount of cartoons that Time-Warner, seeing Fish Police as one the earlier animated offerings from the Warner Archive would quite frankly be scraping the bottom of barrel (with all due respect with anyone out there who liked Fish Police).
    I'd order What A Cartoon! in a heartbeat, but I've heard strong rumors that the rights to some if not the vast majority of episodes/shorts from that show that were never made into their own series reverted back to their creators, so who knows?
    SWAT Kats seems most likely, especially considering its cult following. Addams Family '92 also seems like a strong possibilty.

3. Leviathan

Leviathan "It's against nature!"
    Staff Member Moderator

Swat Kats and The 1992 Addams Family are probably equally likely. I personally hope it's the latter.

Were the WAC cartoons subject to the same contractual clause of Random Cartoons? IIRC, most of the shorts have Turner/Hanna Barbera copyrights and were made by people who were on staff on H-B at the time.

4. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Definitely want SWAT Kats! They need to release "Galtar and the Golden Lance" as a companion piece of sorts to Thundarr. "Centurions" is another one they need to get out on dvd.

As much as I would hate it, I'd want "Herculoids" out soon. I would only hate it because much like Thundarr it seems like it would be a great seller in retail.

5. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

Wow, the 90's Addams Family cartoon...I'm sure I watched every episode, but I barely remember it.

I was beginning to think SWAT Kats had been completely forgotten. Great to hear its DVD release potential is so high now.

6. spongebob03

spongebob03 Member

Has Warner ever released every episode of a cartoon show on DVD? :(

7. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Yes. Powerpuff Girls, Batman, Superman, Justice League, Batman Beyond, and more I'm sure.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yes they have. Though some have not. The only animated series which has not seen finished up has been Animaniacs, Tiny Toons, Static Shock, and a few others. Time is always a factor. For instance there was a four year gap between Season 1 and Season 2 of Night Court. The show has nine seasons, and this yr they gave us two more. So I think WHV at least comes through in some cases.

9. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

I'm gonna say SWAT Kats is what they have planned. In fact, I'd be almost willing to guarantee that, of the shows you mentioned, it is the most likely to get a DVD release before Christmas (the others just feel either too obscure, or have too many hurdles to jump over).

10. dth1971

dth1971 Active Member

Warner Archive should release the DVD of Popeye and Son episodes that Warner Bros. planned but cancelled.

11. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

Of those, the only one I remember fondly is the What A Cartoon! show.

12. Toonatic

Toonatic Active Member

That would be a good idea.

13. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I'll bet it's Swat Kats as well, then the 90's Addams Family will probably be released around next Halloween, like the 60's one was released around that time this year.

I'd love to see the HB Popeye episodes. Yes, yes, they're not Fleischer quality, but they were still decent.

14. Angilasman

Angilasman Active Member

Yeah, the HB Popeye cartoons would be great for the Archive - I'm holding out hope that we'll get volumes 4,5, and 6 of the theatrical toons when (and if) Paramount makes their new Popeye movie.

15. Darklordavaitor

Darklordavaitor Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Personally, I want 2 Stupid Dogs to come out from the Archive. I even tagged Warner Archive's Twitter stating this on my board's account, and they retweeted my post.

16. Ioz

Ioz Master of Mer

Based on some answers Warner Archive has given me and a couple others, I'd say there is a 90% chance the Pac Man animated series from the 80s gets released this coming February. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Christmas Comes to Pac-Land released in some form before the end of the year.

17. SpongeJosh

SpongeJosh A Bold Kid

Now that's an archive release I'd pick up. Swat Kats is nice too though, I guess.

18. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

I wonder if this is the route WB's going to take with anything that's not Scooby Doo or Cartoon Network related properties now.

It'd be nice if they actually got back to releasing Smurfs in season form instead of those volume releases.

19. Kiddington

Kiddington tut tut

Heh... don't be surprised to see many, if not all, of the "older" CN properties eventually fall down this road as well (this pretty much includes every series that isn't currently running new episodes, at the moment).

If they ever get around to finishing up some of those CN shows that they've already started, but abandoned shortly afterwards (Ed Edd 'n Eddy, Foster's, Billy and Mandy, etc.), you'll probably see them released through this medium. Given that these aforementioned series didn't sell up to Warner's expectations the first time around, they'll more than likely go about releasing them "on the cheap" through this Archive system the next time (if and when they ever get around to it).

20. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

Funny you say that, since Speed Buggy should be released in January...

There are dozens of shows which should have already been on DVD, but it's getting better. I hardly can wait to know which show out of the 4 will make it for Christmas. I'd love Swat Kats personally, but I'm afraid they won't release the whole show at once and if they do, there won't be any bonuses *hint unfinished episodes hint*. Let's wait and see...