1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wang

Discussion in 'The Warner Bros. Club' started by iptumcea, Aug 5, 2013.

1. iptumcea

iptumcea Member

Does anyone have favorite or unique episodes done by Wang?

I bring this up because there seems to be, like TMS, different groups handling different cartoons. For example, De-Zanitized barely looks like Wang at all and many points of No Pain, No Painting look like that style.

As for the favorite episodes done by them, mine would have to be either DZ (De-Zanitized) for its strange, higher-quality and fluidness feeling or Panama Canal for its quick pace.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Philmister978

Philmister978 Alvight, you vin

I personally would go with Toy Shop Terror for its quick pace and the ambitious roller skating scene and any of their Pinky & The Brain shorts if only for their expressions on Brain.

3. rajzfilm

rajzfilm Member

I'm suprised some people dislike Wang's early Tiny Toons. The lines may be thick, but it's not distracting, I kinda enjoy it. "You Asked for It", "Rock n Roar" and "Career Oppor-Toon-ities" are all very funny episodes. Wang also did my favourite TTA episode: "Prom-ise Her Anything".

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Those early Wang episodes are benefited by great comic timing and good poses, but I still don't care for the thick outlines, especially after we were spoiled by TMS's thin line work. I'm glad they got it out of their system around the time of "Dating, ACME Acres Style".

5. wiley207

wiley207 Well-Known Member

I remember two of the "Ren and Stimpy" episodes Wang animated, "It's a Dog's Life" and "Egg Yolkeo," had that same thick outline problem. It resulted in a very strange, un-R&S -like look at times.

Also, one has to keep in mind, Wang originally started out mostly working for Hanna-Barbera when they opened in 1978. They continued to be a loyal overseas animation supplier for H-B during the 1980s (and occasionally in the 1990s, as by then H-B opened their own satellite studio in the Philippines.) Though Wang's animation sucked on the 1994 "Arabian Nights" TV movie; there were no thick lines, as it was inked and colored by H-B's outdated computer system, but Wang was trying to go for full animation (as this movie was meant to imitate "Animaniacs" and Disney's stuff), and at times it still turned out rather limited! The existing characters were even drawn startlingly off-model, but that might be because there were almost no H-B veterans left at the studio by this point:
    [​IMG]
    I'm just glad "Animaniacs" didn't actually look like this when Wang animated...

6. Andrew Steiner

I have to agree with you. My favorite Wang episodes for "Animaniacs" (and "Pinky and the Brain") are "De-Zanitized", "Win Big", "Hearts of Twilight", "Space Probed", "Battle for the Planet", "Just Say Narf", and "Variety Speak" (because Hello Nurse looks hot in this one). Other than that, I love Wang Film Productions much more than TMS, and I even love to compare Wang to Chuck Jones and Don Bluth as well.

I love that Wang handled "The Brave Little Toaster", the "Shnookums and Meat" and "Pith Possum", and "Timon and Pumbaa" cartoons, too. :)

#6 Andrew Steiner, Dec 15, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  7. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

To answer the thread question, my favorite Wang animation in any WBA show has to be TTA's "Toon TV".