1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

W.I.T.C.H. vs. Winx Club - The Battle Truly Begins

Discussion in 'Disney/Pixar Forum' started by Tommy Lawson, Dec 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Member

Hey, if Fry can do it... why can't she?

2. Darcy

Darcy Takey takey! Wipey outey!

Everyone else, huh? That's strange. This is the first I've heard of anyone thinking it's ripped off that show.

I really wish people would stop comparing everything to everything else. Apples and oranges, man. Or apples and cucumbers even.

Still find it funny so many people don't like the animation when I know several animators that do. Are any of you who are bashing the animation actually animators?

But regardless of this silly debate, I'm going to keep on enjoying Winx. I'm looking forward to seeing what the next season brings. New characters, new villains, new plots, hopefully more characterization and definitely more witch action.

3. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

4. lostrune

lostrune Detective Rachel

Well, I've been hanging around animators enough that I've developed an "animator's eye" for these things, if that counts. Read animation books too (film studies course).

5. Darcy

I have a feeling that makes you a lot more knowledgable than most of the animation critics. (Not that I'm saying you're an animation critic, but that's the only way I can think of to word that sentence. It's 4 AM, after all.)

My primary point is that the Winx animation can't be all bad if more than just a few animators like it.

6. lostrune

lostrune Detective Rachel

I wouldn't say a lot, and I'm not really much of a critic. Just that I notice these things. :)

7. Martin

Martin The unseen lover of Irma

At first W.I.T.C.H. is an acronym. You may know that already, but you have to keep it in mind. The girls call themselves witches wrongfully. They are GUARDIANS! Guardians in the service of Kandrakar, Which I never heard about in this forum yet (Why? Is there nothing about the Fortress of Kandrakar?).

In the comics they are well respected by the civil inhabitants and enemies by the bad guys.

On Earth they keep their secret very well, though they sometimes take high risks.

8. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Member

Well, I think I was talking about rec.arts.animation. There were a few posts on there talking about WINX being a Spies! ripoff.

9. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Member

A cool acronym... like MST3K or SatAM. :p

10. Conan-san

Conan-san Active Member

I never quite got SatAm in realtion to sonic, myself. I meen it's well known but still..

11. Hordesman

Hordesman slashor

Animation student here, and about the only one at school who digs TV toons.

Right now I want to talk about the actual frame-by-frame animated movement. Ok, the thing is that television animation can't make money if it's produced on Disney feature scale here. Filmation was one of the last tv houses to do actual animation in the US, and their stuff is full of walk cycles and closeups used in episode after episode. The fact is that outsourced animation can look better at a fraction of the union costs of US animators. That said, WINX was probably budgeted to make money in Europe. (This might be why Pokemon's production values increased after its US launch. US market's bigger) What's that mean? W.I.T.C.H. was designed to be aired internationally- including in the US. That means a bigger investment was made. WITCH is undoubtably a slicker production than Winx. If 4Kids is interested in season 2, however, Winx might get a higher budget.

Personally I like the design, characterization, dolls and lesyay of Winx. When I was a little girl, there was only She-Ra and now there's Winx and Atomic Betty and DC Barbies and Kim Possible and Witch

12. Viper

Viper I'll Never Forget You Two!

I'm kinda looking forward to it too.;)

13. RayChuang

RayChuang Active Member

I believe that they've starting showing Season 2 of Winx Club on RAI Due and France 3 in Europe already. Expect 4KidsTV to show the Season 2, probably starting this coming summer (more or less).

14. LordTerminal

LordTerminal The old-school DK is back!

But that's ridiculous! If they have the rights to dub Tokyo Mew Mew (which reminds me, what's taking them so long to air that?) and why do they still need Winx? No need for 4Kids to have two "magical girl" cartoons. It's kinda of pointless and a bit redundant.

As for this show some of you enjoy called W.I.T.C.H., well I know they have nothing to do with each other and all but I swear the art style reminds me of C:L. I'm not touching this show. 1. It comes on during One Piece and while the dub to that is indeed lousy, it's only thing I'll ever get to watch regarding that. 2. Even if it does rerun on Sundays, ABC Family is always doing this promotional crap that interrupts everything else. And 3. I'm just not touching it with a 40-ft. pole. I have a policy on "magical girl anime" (Okay so it's not an anime but just hear me out.) not to touch it if looks like something that'll get you ridiculed. I made an exception with Card Captor Sakura and I have no regrets towards that, (although I only saw the butchered dub) but that's it, end of discussion.

Of course, I've seen the final 2-3 min. of some episodes while waiting for those Digimon reruns to come on and I don't think I'll make an exception for this either. But the more I see those commercials, the more it feels like they're hypnotising me. :)eek: Oh my god it's my Sailor Moon experience all over again!:eek: )

#154 LordTerminal, Feb 11, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2005
  15. Gokou Ruri

Gokou Ruri Wielder of the dark arts.

I'm a twenty year old college student and I don't care if people ridicule me for what I like. I'll probably still be playing video games when I'm 70 and whipping all the younger whipper-snapper's butts.

As far as magical girl series go, W.I.T.C.H is probably my favorite, since it doesn't have any of those things that make it mediocre like Sailor Moon or other Japanese renderings of magical girl shows.

16. Darcy

Girls need female driven cartoons, you know. A lot of anime stuff seems to appeal to both sexes, but say back in the 80s, they would be termed boy cartoons. I think it's great that there will be more shows aimed at girls. Boys aren't the only ones that watch cartoons! You may think it's "pointless and redundant," but I'm willing to bet a lot of girls will love it.

17. Freedom Fighter

Freedom Fighter Active Member

About this time last year, 4Kids / FoxBox decided that they had enough of a footing in the SatAM gauntlet with boys that they began planning a strategy to attract girls. While Kids' WB may hold the kids' and boys' demos among the broadcast networks, ABCKids holds the girls'. And besides, girls are viewers, so they'd add to the network's viewership.

Thus came the plan to dedicate one hour of the Fox Box strictly to girls' programming. 'Winx Club' and 'Tokyo Mew Mew' (when it was first announced, it was given the US title 'Hollywood Mew Mew') were chosen as the two shows, and although not officially announced, the intention was to stick the block in the lead-off hour (8 - 9 am EST).

Well, 'Winx' debuted in June and 'Mew Mew' was to debut last fall, but despite a name change to 'Mew Mew Power,' it didn't happen. A week from tomorrow, US fans finally get a sneak peek of the show, though there is still no officially word on when it actually premieres for real. Meanwhile, 'Winx' provides the 1 hour of girls' programming for 4KidsTV, even if it's at 8:30 and 11 instead of 8 and 8:30.

As for the 4Kids doesn't need two 'magical girl' shows... this is the company that brought us 'Pokémon' and 'Yu-Gi-Oh,' two 'monster collection' shows. It's 4Kids reputation to pull out their themed shows in pairs, not singles! :anime:

18. Terrence Briggs

Terrence Briggs Noble Einherjar

Two quick things that I feel are worth noting, for the reaminder of this thread:

Yet another of my beefs with Winx: Most of the characters are just boring humanoids. It really doesn't matter that they have superhuman powers, since they don't make the characters any more interesting.

There are countless TV shows that feature humanoid and nonhumanoid characters far more interesting than Winx's all-stars.

Over these three paragraphs, you attack me for not seeing more of Winx, then admit that I've seen more of Winx than you have seen of WITCH. In other words, I've seen the finished product of Winx, and you haven't seen ANY of WITCH. I'm no more qualified to talk about the WITCH comics than you are qualified to talk about the WITCH TV show.

There is nowhere for the arugment to go from here, since you have no idea what I'm talking about when I observe WITCH TV's content. Yet, I know EXACTLY what you've seen in Winx, because I've seen enough of the series (70+ minutes) to know how it presents its chracters and tells its stories.

How much of Winx should I subject myself to before you are convinced that I have a legitimate reason to hate it? I gave it THREE CHANCES (three episodes to convince me that it could tell a competent story, and it failed FOUR TIMES (I saw half of a fourth episode, just for good measure).

19. Terrence Briggs

Terrence Briggs Noble Einherjar

Darcy got on my good side, so I'll address two more points:

I'll say it:
    The ART in Winx is mediocre, at best. The ANIMATION is terrible, at best. Anyone who would call Winx's sloppy sense of motion "good" is about as talented an animator as I am. Winx's animators can't do squash and stretch with any degree of comeptence, and they're certainly no good at staying in-model. What aesthetic are they attempting, exactly?

There is no shortage of quality limited animation out there, which does the job with very little movement. Winx's incompentent animation is DISTRACTING, made even worse by the camera tricks, gimmicks, and special effects.

Oh, it can't get much worse :)

What worries me is that any attempt to improve the series will alienate Winx's current fans. I wouldn't mind seeing more of the witches, so long as the production is cleaned up all around.

20. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Member

I've been waiting since August to see Mew Mew Power and it STILL hasn't aired.
    The clips I saw of it were really cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.