1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

Whoot whoot, I'm so happy right now.

2. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Pretty sure this is new key art. Looking forward to going back through season 1 episodes leading up to season 2, now that I feel like enough time has passed to not worry about spoilers too much. ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  3. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

From what I've heard, the trailer shown at Comic-Con was pretty cool and intense.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

I hope we get the comic con trailer or a release date(or both) soon. But honestly I'm just so happy we got official confirmation of a second season.

5. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they're pulling a Steven Universe by splitting an order of 26 episodes and splitting it into two seasons. A second season especially one within the same year as the first one was a given.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Uncreative Hack

So I finally started watching this two weeks ago off and on (between rounds of that overrated garbage Stranger Things) and finally took the opportunity to finish season 1 after season 2 was announced. Overall: its an incredible reboot, well written, slightly tongue-in-cheek, and very well animated. What's even more remarkable is its taken from an abysmal joke of an anime that coasts on nostalgia and offers nothing in return, seriously old Voltron has not aged well.

Also... Judging from that key art, it seems even the production team knows who is best Voltron.

• Like Like x 1
    #146 Lord Dalek, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  7. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

That would explain a lot and I've heard that mentioned a few times, but I don't know if there was any official confirmation of that theory. It would make sense given that they wouldn't have a new season ordered and made so soon after the first season ended.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

While I don't think they will kill off Shiro. What they could do, and I envision is something when Shiro seemingly dies and separated from everyone, so they can't get a look at the corpse. So he will be gone for a few episode, in the mean time Princess Alura takes over the black lion, and than it returns and turns out to be alive.

Weather or not they will let the viewers know right away he survive or let us think with the rest of the main cast, that is dead, could go either way depending on what kind of a story they want to tell.

9. HellCat

HellCat Lesser spotted Brit
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Finally watched this. For the most part I liked it but think round about the castle two parter it starts to feel heavily like Korra with the character dynamics and group splitting up. The early episodes had got me pumped for a show that seemed to balance strong mecha action with equally strong characters so it's a shame after that it starts to feel like the team just repeating their previous show.

Jeremy Shada was good casting for Lance. The character could have easily been an annoying cliche but Shada makes it work, although maybe because I'm so used to him as Finn in Adventure Time. The twist with Pidge was fun though it was obvious leading up to it they were referencing the photo so much you knew it was coming. I've heard apparently some fans are trying to insist she's transgender but the creators have denied it and I think it's twisting something that works pretty well. Neither of the two prominent females in the cast are written as token girly girl which has value in its own right.

I've seen some theories we're getting time travel, primarily because the female officer Lance noticed in the premier would seem to line up with what we know about Allura's powers. I enjoyed it enough that right now I don't need a continuation but I hope with the next batch of episodes they step up their game. It's a fun show but...well, if I wanted Avatar/Korra, I'd go watch those again.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I know it's jumping to conclusions, but I have a feeling Pidge might... might be a lesbian, or at least bisexual. But again it's too early to suspect that

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Aside from the visuals, I'm not really reminded of Avatar/Korra when watching the show. I can see a bit of where you're coming from with the character dynamics, but it doesn't strike me as that noticeable to the point of being Avatar/Korra in space. I actually liked that they were splitting up around the castle two parter since it helped to make the situation more intense and we got to see how they were able to work as a team doing their own missions. Plus, we see them working together a bit more afterwards, so it's not like they're always split up.

To be honest, I'd take this over Korra any day of the week. I'm not sure about Avatar since I still like that show, but Voltron is fun, has a good group chemistry among the main cast and isn't trying to tackle big issues that are well beyond their writing abilities. It's basically everything that Korra isn't in my opinion. There are still plenty of good things about Korra, but the more I reflect on it, the more it comes off as a deeply flawed show. Neither Avatar or Voltron are perfect either, but Voltron shows some nice promise as an entertaining show. A good fun action show is hard to come by and especially a reboot, so I'm pretty excited for a continuation later this year.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

It's not necessarily easy to make direct comparisons, @HellCat and @Light Lucario, but more than once I felt like a lot of the Voltron cast would fit right in alongside some of Korra's goofier characters like Bolin and Varrick (Lance and Cortan for sure. Seriously, come on! "You say Vol and I'll say Tron!"). Voltron's in a place where it definitely wants to tell a leveled up version of the original story, but also clearly doesn't want to take itself too seriously.

This may not be an entirely bad thing - compare and contrast vs the relatively self-serious ThunderCats 2011 and He-Man 2002. I think, perhaps, this maybe stands out less compared to Korra because Korra had biggest shoes in the world to fill while Voltron gets to expand on mecha anime camp circa the 1980s courtesy of people that actually understand it. It's perhaps natural that its shifts in tone would be substantially less jarring in comparison.

I can see how Legendary Defender might seem to be a bit of a slow roller. However, I think there's another side to it, in that every encounter Voltron does get is pretty significant to the team's growth and where the story is going. In contrast, the traditional robot anime formula where some monster gets trashed as a routine becomes, well, a routine without much tension or weight behind it. You know it's going to work out and that things will get tied up in a bow. But Legendary Defender is a lot less like that, to the point that no two battles have been alike. You're never really sure exactly how the team will be challenged next. The split is just more of the same. The reaction we have is "geez, NOW what do they do?" That's a good thing to have.

• Like Like x 2
    #152 GWOtaku, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  13. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Lance did make me think of Sokka for the longest time, but that's mainly due to the designs and comedy relief role they share. I don't get much of a Varrick impression from Cortan though. I can see some similarities to Avatar/Korra, but just not to where it's distracting or makes me think that they're just remaking their old shows in space.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Lance made me think of Sokka from moment 1. Outside of some similar humor, it never really made me think of the Avatar shows.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

16. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Will do. I've been a fan of Dos Santos and Montgomery since their DC work and it's great seeing them get to EP a good series of their own.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

The only thing I would ask get changed in season 2 dramatically is Coran.

18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

On the horizon: Voltron season 2. An episode will be screened at NYCC during an hour-long panel on October 7 with the creative staff. Right now I'm aiming to make it in there and you can bet I'll be reporting back (no worries, overt spoilers will be averted).

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm kind of surprised they still haven't released the teaser they showed at the last convention...

20. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

A comic con exclusive that was actually an exclusive? My God. :p

As the premiere date draws closer, I imagine they'll put that and / or another trailer out along with some other clips. Ditto for Trollhunters, another Netflix / DWA show people should definitely have an eye on.

• Like Like x 1