1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

With animated shows and other series with larger episode counts, I believe they release one batch earlier in the year and another batch later.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I finished watching the first season and overall I enjoyed it. I admit I'm not a huge fan of giant robot shows, and don't know much about Voltron in particular. I'm sure I watched the original show when I was younger but don't really recall much other than the basic premise. I tried out Voltron Force when it premiered a few years ago and thought it was neat but I dropped it eventually.

Legendary Defender was fun, it had a pretty intriguing story and some decent character arcs for some of the cast members, especially Shiro and Pidge. But I would like to see the others get developed some more in future episodes as well. Or at least a bit more background information about them. The interactions between the heroes were probably the best parts of this show so I'm hoping that won't change as the show progresses.

The villains were pretty generic, it would be nice if they get some more characteristics when the show continues. Considering the revelations in the final episode, things could get a lot more interesting in the next season. Other than that I don't really have any complaints. The animation looks nice, the action scenes were great, the humor worked just about every time, and like I mentioned the character interactions were very enjoyable. I am looking forward to the next season, whenever it will be released.

• Like Like x 3
  3. bwrosas

bwrosas Member

So Pidge being a girl, does it count as the reason why Allura is not piloting one of the lions, like she did in the original and it's sequels, or are they holding off till Season 2 for that.

4. Media Man

Media Man Member

I noticed that the show's format is quite similar to Vehicle Team Voltron in that the cast is traveling space, exploring worlds and interacting with their inhabitants.

The original Lion Voltron didn't do that- as much; they were primarily based on Arus with occasional off world travel.

Could a vehicle team Voltron reboot in the works?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think part of the reason Keith gets, arguably, the least development, depth, and focus out of all the Paladins is partially related to Shiro being as well-rounded and seasoned as he is by the time the series begins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

Keith probably will get more development next season because throughout the series there seem to be hints that

• Like Like x 2
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

General final thoughts (having finished the current season):

#127 Frontier, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  8. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

@Frontier
    If Keith becomes more apathetic then I wish he becomes like Mikazuki from Gundam IBO

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wel, I expect they'll likely go in the opposite direction for Keith's character development :sweat:.

10. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I wonder what Season 2 will bring.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mike JD Silva

Mike JD Silva Active Member

Just to note that for the Green Lion the shield was not due to the bayard.

Take heart. The

Regarding the bayards and what they may do I'm gonna post what I did to another board here:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Ah, yeah. It's basically just the equivalent of the shields all the Paladins have, and they just accessed it accidentally :sweat:.

13. LDEJRuff

LDEJRuff Wish-making dog lover

I'd be surprised that if it were dubbed for Japanese audiences, they'd imagine it as a reboot of Beast King GoLion.

• Like Like x 1
  14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Overall I liked it. I think if you can get past that it's basically Avatar, except with Voltron, it's not so bad.

I don't really have a problem with the Pidge gender change. Then again, I never was that devout a follower of Voltron to begin with.

I think my main problem with the show was Coran. I hated his characterization here and found him more obnoxious than funny.

I thought the ending was a bit too abrupt.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

This show makes me wish we can continue watching the 2011 Thundercats show.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It did remind me of the 2011 Thundercats in many ways. Andrea Romano did voice direct both shows there is that. Not sure if there is any crossover crew there too.

The animation and designs did at times remind me of Thundercats, and its more modern voice and dialogue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I was definitely pleasantly surprised to see Andrea Romano was part of the crew for the show. Glad to see she hasn't completely retired :).

Voltron: Legendary Defender and Thundercats 2011 do have a lot in common. Both are anime-esque remakes of popular, classic, cartoons from back in the day with all-star casts and crew, seeking to update the franchise for a modern generation while retaining the core elements (with some alterations here and there) :cool:.

Though I will say that I think Studio Mir's animation and action scenes are much more fluid then Studio 4C's work on Thundercats generall was, and the CG is better integrated.

18. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So I finally got a chance to see this series. Admittedly, I should have tried to watch the premiere for the watch party, but I've gotten into binge watching shows lately, especially ones that I watch online since that makes it even easier to just jump right into the episode. For some more context, I've never seen the original Voltron series. I think I saw the first couple of episodes of one Voltron series that aired on Nickelodeon a few years ago, but that would be the extent of my previous Voltron history and even that, I only vaguely remember that series.

I watched this entire season in just two days, so needless to say, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I really liked the flow of the episodes. That sense of progress with each episode really made it easy to binge watch the season. It's also why the first three episodes worked so well as a long premiere. It felt much more like a long episode rather than three individual episodes because of how seemingly they flow into each other.

The best aspect about the series is easily the characters. Everyone in the main cast is characterized quite nicely and the group dynamics are pretty good too. Even though this is only thirteen episodes, you do see a nice progression among the group. They're still inexperienced by the end, but they do feel more like a team in episode thirteen than in episode four. There are some nice relationships being formed throughout the series.

Shiro is easily my favorite out of the group. He's such a likable experienced leader for the group. He also gives off an older brother/fatherly kind of vibe with how he interacts with the other characters, which probably due to how he's the oldest of the group. Plus, I like how they're setting up his mysterious past, his internal conflict and his connection to Pidge. Plus, I really like his voice and design. Apparently, this is different from how he's been handled in previous Voltron series, but I like it, even though I was expecting Keith to be the leader due to the Power Rangers logic of red equals leader.

Pidge was quite a surprise herself. That twist was pretty unexpected and entirely welcomed so that there would be more female characters in the cast. Her backstory was really good and it makes me wonder more how the Earth could be involved with the disappearance of her family. Not only were they trying to cover up that there wasn't a crash, but Pidge and her mother didn't find out about this supposed crash until it was put on the news. Shouldn't they have been the first people to be informed about their family members' supposed deaths? She did get some good development and I like that she's such a great tech expert for the team.

Lance is pretty fun. Once I got used to how much he looked like Sokka, I started to like him. He's mainly comedy relief, but he does have some funny bits and I do like how his rivalry with Keith cools down a bit as the season progresses. It's still there, but there's less constant yelling and more playful teasing on both sides. I also kind of liked how even though he was all excited about finding his Lion and getting in battle, he was the first one to feel homesickness. I kind of hope that they'll address their families more in the future. They're universes away from their homes, their families have no idea where they could be and there's no guarantee that they'll get back home anytime soon.

I was expecting more focus on Keith not only because of being the red member of the team, but also because I've seen quite a bit of fanart for him, Lance and Shiro. He is characterized pretty well. He's a bit of a lone wolf, but perhaps a hot-headed fighter would be a more fitting way to describe him. Plus, it does seem like they're setting up some things for him in the future, from how he was burned only to be quickly healed and there are quite a few telling moments/lines in the thirteenth episode too. He's generally okay.

Out of the Paladins, Hunk would be my least favorite. While not all of Lance's jokes land for me, they are generally better than what Hunk gets, which generally focus on vomiting and especially food/weight related jokes. Because fat jokes are apparently funny to some people, most likely those who didn't grow up being overweight themselves. To be fair, he does get some nice development around the middle of the show, so he does improve a bit, but man, I hope that they drop his food/weight jokes like a bad habit.

Allura really surprised me. Given her situation, you would think she'd be more emotionally distraught or unable to fight back, but she is a surprisingly fleshed out character. She longs for a home and a life she can never have again, but she still is able to fight back, to basically become the leader of the team and makes tough decisions as their leader. Coran is kind of funny, mainly due to his expressions more than his lines, but he's generally okay as Allura's right hand man.

As for the villains, while they aren't too interesting until the last episode or so, they are pretty competent. I think that helps to make up for their lack of characterization. They've been taking over the universe for ten thousand years and it does show in their tactics and strength. There were quite a few good fights and I think that their take over of the castle were some of my favorite episodes because of how much tension it created.

Another aspect about the series that I really liked was how they're clearly setting up so much throughout every episode. From the premiere to the thirteenth episode, there are details, both small and big, that feel like they're planting and building up to more significant story progression and character moments. It helps to make the series more engaging with foreshadowing sprinkled throughout its run.

And man, that cliffhanger ending. I really hope that we'll get news about when more episodes will air soon. It was a fun ride to go through the season in a short amount of time, but getting to that cliffhanger ending was so jarring. It really made me wish that we had news of new episodes at least.

Overall, it seemed like a really fun series. The fact that this modern reboot can appeal to both long time fans and new ones is also a good sign. The characters are likable, fleshed out and have great chemistry, the battles are intense, the animation is all around good, the music is wonderful and the writing is quite solid. It's a rarity to see a good western action series and I do hope that the success of this series will lead to more new episodes, as well as potentially other action series being developed for Netflix in the future.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I picked a good week to start watching the series. I would have been much more anxious for news about a second season if I had watched the series back in June. Hopefully we'll get a more specific release date soon, but at least we know that we're getting more episodes this year. That's fantastic.

• Agree Agree x 1