1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I managed to binge through it pretty quickly and I'll probably be re-watching as I wait for more. This was some much needed fresh air for me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Watched a little on Friday and the rest on Saturday.
    This feels so much like Avatar/Korra it's not even funny. It's strange, it was really enjoyable but I don't feel as invested in it as I was in the aforementioned series. However, I like how each episode leads on straight into another. It's the perfect animated series to binge watch, as I always wanted to see what happens next. And that cliffhanger!
    I don't know how they're breaking the episodes up between season, but if we're lucky we'll get season 2 before the end of the year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Fall of the Castle of Lions:

4. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

This is nearly everything I've looked for in an action cartoon feels great to finally have something like this since the genre feels completely dead right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tears of the Balmera:

Taking Flight:

• Like Like x 1
  6. KaleRylan

KaleRylan New Member

Very good show, will watch second season.

That said, I don't like Shiro much at all.

He's like a fan-fiction character. Literally. One of the most common fan-fiction tropes is replacing the traditional leader of a property with a new (or in this case so close to new it doesn't matter since he's built on a character that barely exists) and then essentially giving him all of the power, respect, and plot; oh, and JUST IN CASE IT WASN'T OBVIOUS that he's a creator's pet, give him amnesia and a dark, but heroic, past to boot.

That is Shiro. He's perfect in every way, and that makes him boring. Honestly his whole blandness, combined with the fact that his very existence robs half of Keith's plot and development, meant that Pidge and Hunk were the most interesting characters to me since they each got their own (non-mary sue-ish) arcs that were very well done. Lance was fun but basically just comic relief with a cool moment here and there.

Keith got a very fun personality update that went nowhere because he and Shiro were constantly fighting over the 'hero' role (and Shiro generally won that battle) and Keith ended up just sort of left in the dust with (like Lance) a cool moment here and there.

Allura is a weird case. She's, for all intents and purposes, a new character. And it's generally speaking a very well-done update. But at the same time, the decision to "make" Shiro means that the one traditional female Voltron pilot got kicked down to support duty and periodic damsel in distress. She's exceedingly well-done and the update makes her a great supporting character, but it's a very weird choice.

Long story short, if this is all a long-game to put us in the more traditional roles next season then what's been done with Shiro could be great, but I have a hard time believing a children's cartoon would harm a character after that long. It's too painful. Adult shows do that. Kids' shows do it faster to avoid the trauma. And if that means Shiro is sticking around, then he will continue to be a fairly obvious perfect Mary Sue, Keith will continue to get massively short-changed, and Allura will stay a very well-written Zordon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. zoombie

zoombie Well-Known Member

Well finished the whole season, I liked it, it was an all right show, too early to really judge.

I don't know who I like better, Lance or Hunk, they are both hilarious. Since Pidge is a girl in this version, I hope we see some Pidge and Allura bonding.

Who is the Galra soldier that helped them? Was that Allura's dad, is he somehow still alive? I am hoping it is a real Galran, So far the Galra race are just evil people, and I don't like that, an whole race just be evil? I rather it be like the Fire Nation in Avatar: The Last Airbender in as a whole it is not an evil race, just the leadership is bad, or Homeworld in Steven Universe, which is also evil leadership, but the species is capable of good if giving the right circumstances. Example Peridot when first introduced she had a very robotic emotionless personality, and later we find out she is capable of having feelings. I like to think they are members of the Galra race that is capable of having feels beyond just hatred and lust for power.

8. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

I want them to show more robot vs monsters fights that's one of the reasons the first voltron was a hit
    seriously 11 episodes and only 2 ro-beast battles

9. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

I sort of agree with KaleRyan that the addition with Shiro sort of makes Keith look pointlss, Keith is supposed to be this competent warrior with a rebellious streak but that was downplayed as all hell that sometimes I forgot his existence. The series not taking place on Earth was a huge mistake because 1 the early episodes felt like bottle episodes and 2 they missed so many plots or themes I mean look at Symbionic Titan and what they did when humans have to experiance aliens and robot fights.

There are some things I like but all in all this series is just generic

• Like Like x 2
  10. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

My theory on that..... (episode 13 spoiler)

• Like Like x 1
  11. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought episode 2 was pretty good. Looking back, the first episode was in such a rush, having a breather, character-heavy episode was very refreshing.

I was concerned that Coran wasn't going to have any depth beyond comic relief. Nice to see that there's more to him than that.

Speaking of depth, what's going on with Pidge? Those staticky screens and what not go beyond a mere lack of self-confidence...

Social Darwinist and Dark Oracle are pretty boring so far. I can't think of anything else to say about them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dijei Zasin

Dijei Zasin New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Dreamworks Animation produced 26 episodes right, and Netflix has only aired the first 13?

I loved it. It was gripping, brisk paced and refreshingly thought out. I think the villains need more fleshing out in the next run, but they've created characters I care about, so it was worth focusing on the heroes.

They've also established so much lore in just 11 episodes. Great storytelling.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

They did make 26, they just wait for a different time to air the rest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

That does explain why the first 11 (or 13 if you want to count the premiere episode as three separate ones) feels like half a season. There are definitely stuff that's being built up, a lot of lore yet to be explained, and characters begging for development (maybe make the villains a bit more interesting, too, please? So far, they're Generic Evil is doing nothing for me.) I imagine if there are future episodes, they'll expand on these, so it's just a matter of waiting.

Some stuff don't work well as other based on the limited episode count like...

I finished the series and overall, found it to be pretty okay. As a whole, it's really paint-by-numbers, but it's competent paint-by-numbers and that's not a bad thing. Nothing (outside of Pidge's awesome plot twist reveal and the incredibly fun character interaction/chemistry) really sticks out for me. Again, it might be the consequences of being only thirteen episodes. Presumably with patience and more episodes, Voltron can become something exceptional. I'm certainly invested enough to keep going.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dijei Zasin

Dijei Zasin New Member

To me, it feels like they had to cut back on some of the smaller plot points to get to Episode 13 and have it act as a pseudo-finale. It's fine but means we missed out on some emotional beats.

• Like Like x 1
  16. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

That was one hell of a season, can't wait for season 2. Hopefully this news of there already being 26 episodes is true as it means the wait won't be as long as I originally thought.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Dijei Zasin

Dijei Zasin New Member

Hopefully! But I think Netflix is generally 1-season-a-year.

• Like Like x 2
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Alright, through Tears of Balmera and I think things are starting to pick up. The mice aren't doing anything for me and Keith has the depth of a kiddie pool, but the rest of the cast is starting to develop nicely. I gotta say, I'm ready for the team to leave Arus. There's just not a whole lot going on there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

*sigh* you're probably right, best to just focus on trollhunters for now instead of setting myself up for disappointment hoping for season 2 of Voltron this year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. jak d ripr

jak d ripr Member

*sigh* you're probably right, best to just focus on trollhunters for now instead of setting myself up for disappointment hoping for season 2 of Voltron this year.