1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

About 30 minutes left in "The Rise of Voltron", coming into the final stretch. This is occupied by the gang actually going out and getting the lions after all that talking.

Normally you'd expect challenges and character-defining action all over the place in a pilot or first episode. But instead, to my amusement, Pidge and Shiro get the world's easiest fetch quest while Lance and Hunk are getting themselves endlessly shot at - a good chance for Hunk to show some courage and ingenuity to get at Yellow Lion amid his complaining.

But, I actually like what goes on with Shiro and Pidge actually. They may not have to really do much of anything, but we do get them bonding over Shiro knowing Pidge's lost family from the expedition. Pidge, who did not come on as a pilot like Lance, is worried about handling Green Lion. But Shiro's there to encourage him and has a great, great line about too much worry will stop you from making the effort to be great. He's practically a big brother figure to Pidge, it's great stuff.

Notice how Hunk takes the hits for Lance and then literally belly flops with Yellow Lion to kill off the fighters? Fun little bit.

With Green and Yellow back, it's time to go after Red.....which is already captured. Fortunately, Shiro is good at planning and we soon have the team on a space mission. Before that though you have Sendak showing up and demanding surrender, which soon provokes Keith and Pidge vs Lance and Hunk on the debate of staying to fight or running away. Lance and Hunk are basically being rational - and embracing the path of least resistance, though they're right they're being pressed before having Voltron like planned. On the other side, Pidge is basically making a moral case (and no doubt thinking of others going through what his family did) while Keith is being practical and seeing no reason to think the bad guys will stop short for any reason. Then there's Shiro in between, who sees the argument going nowhere fast + the fact it's not actually their call by right anyway. It's Allura.

Allura says she's not sure what to do, though that's not quite right. She acknowledges to King Alfor's AI that she does want to fight, but there are understandable doubts. But Alfor basically makes Keith's point: the Galra have gone this long conquering (ten thousand years!) and have done so without Voltron, and it'll only get worse if nothing is done. And so, the die is cast. Allura uniforms up and grasps her resolve tightly.

She gives the best speeches when she wants to.

As the boys get ready, Coran remarks that the boys are not really the best the galaxy has to offer.....not sure you're one to talk, man. ;) Anyway, as Allura says you go to war with the army you've got.

There's no Black Paladin weapon for Shiro. Now, why would that be......? Fortunately, we know from clips already that Shiro's got a perfectly good weapon built into him to compensate, and a perfectly good head for plotting their plan of attack.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #81 GWOtaku, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm glad that the bad guys don't seem incompetent.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Harley

On episode 3. Oh, they have me intrigued now. Things I like so far:

• Like Like x 2
  4. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Final episode 1 commentary......

As the Voltron boys (now "the Paladins") infiltrate Sendak's ship for the Red Lion, Sendak remarks on them lying to him about surrendering. Hey Sendak, as a bad guy, shouldn't you expect some treachery?

It's Keith, Shiro and Pidge aboard the ship. Check out Pidge here: outright defying Shiro with a big "NO!" against putting the mission before looking for his family. Shiro's fortunately not so hard that he's above adapting and helping him out, and he's boosting Keith's confidence to boot when he's worried about going it alone.

Keith runs about blindly before finally taking Shiro's advice to use the force - I mean, to focus and listen. He finds Red, soon discovers talking to it does no good...even when you do it loudly and slowly, big shocker. When discovered he puts up a good fight, doesn't exactly win, but it's enough for Red to wake up and bail him out. This is what I was talking about, the good guys really have to *fight* and aren't overpowered guys taking on mooks.

Pidge and Shiro save lots of aliens, but no family. Poor Pidge. Shiro is addressed as "the champion" and seems to have a reputation, but he still can't remember a thing about why that would be. Clearly a lot happened during the year he was gone.

Everyone gets away safely and regroups at the castle, setting the stage for our final fight where the castle finally gets to show its stuff.

Furthering the idea that the way the Lions work is pretty mysterious, it dawns on the pilots that there's no user's manual on forming Voltron. Just going through the motions doesn't do it. It takes resolve, fighting spirit, the heart of the cards, the power of friendship.....hey guys, believe in the Allura that believes in you. Pierce the heavens with your blazing sword. Etc. ;)

But seriously, I like how just as things are going south and it seems like they'll all be caught, it's just Shiro's stubborn will that inspires the team to save the day. Voltron doesn't do much and doesn't need to, it's showing off vs one cruiser. Good enough to fight individual lions, but not the Defender of the Universe. It doesn't even need a weapon, it just plows right through. Meaning battles in our future where the Paladins will need to figure out weapons and test what Voltron can really do.

This show takes so many chances at making fleeting side jokes, this is where it's most like Avatar: The Last Airbender. It's little things here and there that keep the show light and fun and not too serious for its own good.

.....and I think that's it for me tonight! Episode 2 is all about training, and incredibly this does not suck. More on that later. Know that this is all really just the beginning. As much as I liked the premiere, what comes after I like even better.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Finished the last thirty minutes of the episode and dang, it's good. The whole premiere episode was good. It takes a lot of the familiar stories of unsung heroes, alien princesses, giant robots, and a universe to defend and gives it a fresh coat of paint. This show is a great example of taking timeless concepts and story ideas and molding it into something genuinely entertaining and competent.

Specifically, I love the idea of the show expressing individuality as much as teamwork. Each of the lions are different (and from what I can gather, have distinct designs while keeping a central unifying them), have some kind of sentience, and their own specific abilities. I hope we see more of this in future episodes (I can understand why they they couldn't here.)

Importantly, it also extends to the human casts. What a lively bunch of misfits. This is a very talky show - much more than I expected. In fact, the whole show is big, long series of action, action, action with very little moments to breath, yet I never felt overwhelmed or bored. I think a lot of this is owed to the tremendously exciting characters. I just mentioned in a previous post a bit back that they carry well-worn tropes, but I like that we're already seeing signs of depth or a break from their usual character archetype. Pidge is smart, but he's also snarky, confident, and determined; things you don't see in Hollywood Nerds. Hunk is big and strong, but a huge worrywart instead of a titanic, muscle-bound jerk (though his vomiting running gag got old), Keith is a loner, but willing to work with the team, and so forth. There's a goldmine to tap here and seeing where these characters go is what interest me most of all. Kudos on Princess Allura's character, too. She's equal parts vulnerable, unsure, determined, useful, courageous, hopeful, and intelligent.

Another thing I really liked was the different interactions. Lance, Hunk, and Pidge at the start, Keith briefly with Shiro, Shiro with Pidge, etc. I love it when the cast mingle and communicate with others and I want to see more of this. I think it strengthens the idea of teamwork and friendship.

I'm probably going to binge this show now because I want to see what happens next. I feel like eleven episodes is just too short for a series that looks like it can deliver more. VLD looks like the kind of show that starts off with a simple plot, but can grow more complex as it goes along. Premature talking though, so I'll see how I feel afterward, but the potential is strong.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Harley

Well, that first episode is basically 3 episodes. That makes it feel like standard season length to me.

I just finished episode 5. I want to keep watching more tonight, but I really have to get an early start tomorrow. Looking at the episode descriptions, I'm looking forward to watching Return to Balmera.

Looking forward to reading this thread as others get to watch. Night, guys!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Oh, right. I forgot to mention the ending credits score is amazing. So, um, future soundtrack release? Please?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Harley

Yeah, I like that they actually serve the plot. They're not just there for cuteness. And they don't Snarfer up the whole thing.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I really enjoyed the premier! Admittedly I'm biased because I grew up with Voltron and was already pretty pumped from what I was seeing in interviews and clips, but I think the creators did a great job in updating the property for a newer, modern, audience while still keeping true to the source material and creating a solid, entertaining, beautifully animated and anime-esque action-packed show that I definitely want to see more of. Certainly to be expected from creators who worked on Avatar :).

I thought the CG and Mecha animation so far was pretty solid. Maybe not on the level of something from Sunrise, or Satelight, but certainly much better then the usual integrated CG in western animation and maybe on the same level as a series from studio 8-Bit (but with less quality animation). The action scenes were pretty good, both with the Paladins on the ground and what we saw from the Lions, and I can't wait to see more from Voltron in action :cool:.

I kinda wish they hadn't shown us Voltron completely combined before we saw it fully-formed at the end, to make the eventual combining sequence and debut of Voltron a little more impactful. It was still an awesome scene, especially as Voltron tore through Sendak's ship, but I think they tipped their hand at showing us the main robot before if makes its true first appearance. Granted, they also show Voltron in the Dreamworks logo, so there probably wouldn't be much point :sweat:.

Was anyone else doing the Voltron transformation speech/chant in their head during the combining sequence?

I remember looking closely at the guy Lance was glancing at while he was sneaking around, and thinking "hey, is that Roy Fokker!?" Given the noted influences from Macross/Robotech, it would not surprise me if that were a direct shout-out :D.

Shiro earns points for being voiced by Josh Keaton alone, but even in spite of that he established himself well as a cool and strong character. For one, it's nice to have an actual Japanese lead for a western-made Mecha show, let alone as the main character. And a main character and leader who's seasoned, wise, compassionate, and fun to be around with his teammates. You get a real sense of how he's the perfect person to take this ragtag bunch of misfits and form them into a strong, cohesive, team and bring out the best in the whole group. Voltron's nothing without it's head :proud:.

Keith feels like a classic anime Mecha lead (which is fitting) . Character design? Check. Ace pilot? Check. Primary color is red? Check. Main weapon is a sword? Check. Hot-blooded (in-spite of his cool demeanor) and relies on his instincts? Check. Has a rival (non-serious and non-antagonistic as it may be)? Check. Looking forward to seeing how the show develops his character and more interaction between him and Shiro, Lance, and definitely the rest of the pilots. I'm really curious to know more about his relationship with Shiro and why they're so close.

Once I got over hearing Jeremy Shada not sound like Finn, I liked what we got from Lance here. He's obviously the comedy relief, but he is that way with such enthusiasm and determination that he's very endearing (much in the same way Sokka was in Avatar). I'm looking forward to more of his continued failures to prove himself cooler then Keith and hit on Allura :p.

Hunk...voice-wise, he sounds perfect, but I'm used to him being more enthusiastic and fun (at least from what I can remember of the original) that it was kind of weird seeing his new characterization here. And I think they kinda overdid it on the barf jokes. Still, looking forward to seeing more of where they take his character going forward ;).

Pidge was fun with his technical prowess, snark, banter with the rest of the team, and insecurities, and while I figured it out fairly quickly, the angle with him looking for his family looks like it'll make an interesting arc. Bex Taylor-Klaus also did a good job voicing a young boy character. I'm also assuming that the person with the girl that Hunk assumed was him was really his brother...I wonder if we'll ever meet Pidge's older brothers girlfriend?

Allura was really cool. Definitely a nice update of her character, and while I was unsure about it at first because of the accent, Kimberly Brooks did a great job voicing her. The show did a good job conveying the level of loss Allura was dealing with and her strength for keeping on in-spite of it, and that she's definitely more then a cute face. Also was nice to see her get some fun moments, especially with Coran. Looking forward to seeing more of how the show develops her and her future interactions with the rest of the Paladins :anime:.

I was a little disappointed that, in the handing out of weapons for the Paladins, Hunk and Lance both got blasters or rifles of some sort. I was hoping each Paladin would get their own unique weapon :sad:.

Not much to the Galra Empire beyond the fact that they're evil, cruel, have a lot of red shirts, and have already conquered most of the known universe at this point without Voltron there to stop them. Though I did find it interesting that Zarkon and Haggar seemed to view the Lions and Voltron as theirs, implying some connection and that they feel they rightfully deserve Voltron somehow o_O.

Y'know, with all the talk about the Lions choosing their pilots and how their attributes match their chosen paladin, I'm curious (for more then one reason) to see what happens in the case of the Lion losing their Paladin and having to quickly choose another user :ack:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I was! A part of me was a bit disappointed not to hear that, but it is pretty cheesy in retrospect. Maybe they can do it at least once just for kicks? As a sorta tongue-in-cheek reference? XD

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Man, all I can say is... hearing Neil Kaplan as Zarkon makes me want him as Darkseid or Thanos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I.R Joey

I.R Joey Yep my face got stuck this way

It's off to an interesting start. Hopefully, it continues to get better!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Media Man

Media Man Member

I am one of the five people on the planet that liked the Vehicle Team Voltron more than the Lion Voltron. I noticed that in the premiere, Pidge had a brother.

In the 1984 Voltron (Well the US version) Pidge also had a brother Chip who flew an air vehicle that formed the left arm of Vehicle Voltron like the green lion on Lion Voltron.

Could the show runners possibly be considering rebooting the OTHER Voltron too? Perhaps making it a hybrid Star Trek -Star Wars series with a big non-lion robot? Hmm...

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

The voice was very feminine to me then I looked up the VA and saw it was Bex. This reminded me of watching videos about the old Voltron series months ago that suggested Pidge might have been a girl before the original version was westernized, and I started thinking Pidge might be a girl (and also the girl from the picture). It's probably a crazy theory but stranger things have happened.

So far, so good though. I enjoyed it a lot. This will probably be the first Netflix exclusive animation that might get me to stick around for the long haul.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 1
    #94 Rick Jones, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  15. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

I'm not sorry. ;)

(meme context here)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Some Assembly Required:

#96 Frontier, Jun 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  17. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Just finished episode three ("Return of the Gladiator") and I will say...

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

I almost didn't think they would even with the casting. Haven't seen the episode yet, but I had a sinking suspicion from the start. The end of ep 2 sort of foreshadowed it if I am to guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Return of the Gladiator:

20. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme
    Staff Member Moderator

Dreamworks Netflix shows have their order seasons split in half. So, this is technically only half a season, production-wise and in terms of story.

• Informative Informative x 2