1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

This show has many good faces.

[​IMG]

The gang's first trek through space is a lot of fun. I like how Lance is most comfy with it, even enjoying it. Love his comeback to Pidge about this not being the simulator: good, because he always crashed here! Keith doesn't miss opportunities to take shots at his skill and attitude. Hunk is expressing doubts and getting sick, bleh. Shiro's being good about putting his foot down, showing signs of stepping into leadership already.

And so we get to the castle of Lions. Here comes Allura......

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

Ah, the diagonal split screen is a really good way of handling communication between the pilots. Good way of having it not just be chatter over ships on screen. I hope they keep doing that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Matthew Williams

Matthew Williams Owns A Homey The Clown Shirt

I like Allura being of a noticably different race than the rest of the heroes. Gives her a unique feel.

Also, space mice!

• Like Like x 3
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

...and Allura can communicate with mice and Pidge gets a robot buddy.

This is starting to feel like information overload.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Harley

Shiro's got some moves.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Allura's introduction kills me. she falls into Lance's arms. We have a moment. Lance tries to be Captain Kirk with her. Why, could this be the beginning of......

"Your ears. They're hideous. What's wrong with them?"

No shipping for you. NO SHIPPING! :D

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Harley

Big LOLs from me on that one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. JoeMabbon

I was gonna say, how would they know how to form Voltron?

• Like Like x 2
  9. Harley

"Maybe if we fly in formation, we'll just combine!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. JoeMabbon

"Light your darkest hour!"

• Like Like x 1
  11. Harley

I love that they decided to put scuffs on Voltron. Let's you know that Voltron has seen some stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JoeMabbon

"How are we doing this?!" Mass displacement technology.

I just noticed, that mouse alien has a robotic arm.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Harley

Ok. Good first episode. Not perfect, but solid intro. Enough to get me to episode 2. Allura's my favorite.

But, ugh. The Netflix app just crashed on my tv. Every time I try to play episode 2. Gonna switch to the desktop so I can keep the two screen thing going.

Based on Episode 1, which characters dd you find most interesting. Who's bland? Who do you want to see them focus on?

14. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

So in the late 20 minute mark it's exposition dump time, which doesn't really lend itself to commentary actually. This is "Doomed Planet. Last Hope. Kindly Couple. Superman" stuff. It speaks for itself. One thing I will note is that Allura's obviously unsettled by her situation, but is more mad at Zarkon and Galra than despairing. This matches with the flashback where she's arguing for fighting and not giving up hope. What she's lost has impact, but her losses don't define her.

Then we have our space mice for helping morale. Here they're justified by the fact they wound up in hiberation with Allura. It's fortunate the show uses them sparingly and aren't so much the crutch of coming relief that they were in the original.

Oh, one important thing in exposition here: affirmation from Allura there are mystical forces at work, beyond "what science can explain". The Lions are also described as having personalities.

Lane interrupts Allura's speeches about the Lions and their virtues to boast about his Lion, and himself. Allura just has a long pause.....and then skips Blue Lion completely. Priceless.

Incidentally, Keith is considered the best pilot when it comes to acting on instinct. Take that, Lance's ego.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Harley

Ok. On to episode 2 for me. The intro's not super special or anything, but at least it's short.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Harley

Well, Coran is kind of silly too. Some really awesome exaggerated expressions on this show. I'm glad it's not too serious.

Edit: Coran kind of feels like he might be at home in Excel Saga.

• Like Like x 1
    #76 Harley, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  17. JoeMabbon

That was a good start. I don't think I'm hooked or anything. I think Lance is the only one who's moved beyond stock archetype. He reminds of Sokka, so that's good in my eyes.

The lions and space battles look neat, but so far they're not anything mind-blowing. I'll definitely watch a few more episodes, though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Harley

Haggar is good and creepy. Also, I have tex mex being delivered to me. SO HUNGRY. Also, time to break out some wine.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Harley

In total agreement with you. First episodes are always tough because there's so much to establish. But it established potential and that's good enough make me see where they take this in subsequent episodes.

I do think after I finish my first run of VLF, I'll want to watch it again.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Okay, just got back from work, but I did catch the first episode (aka, the first half hour) prior to it. Some things I like so far:

-Characters are diverse (if not carrying well-worn tropes) both in terms of personalities and ethnicity. Their interaction is superb; each character bouncing off one another with whiplash speed and generally good dialogues.

-The introduction is very good and continuously grabs your attention. There is always something going, no scene lingers more than it should, and the build up to the Blue Lion is well-paced.

-Lovely animation, even if the robots are conspicuously CGi, but I guess that's to be expected.

-Easy to digest without being a Voltron fan.

-"What's wrong with your ears? They're hideous." Best (unintentional) dump on Lance's flirts ever.

Any negatives so far: the Galra Empire is Evil. Like Really, Really Evil guys. At this rate, I hope Emperor Zarkon will get some depth on why he wants to rule the universe or be a trembling baddie of pure awesome.

I hope I'll love Coran later down the line because though there isn't anything awful about him, he comes across as a poor man's Varrick. Kooky, but not quite Awesome Kooky.

• Like Like x 2