1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Voltron: Legendary Defender" Talkback Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

[​IMG]

Voltron is back in a brand new series only on Netflix! A joint project between Dreamworks and Netflix, Voltron: Legendary Defender is a new reboot of the classic show. Headed by Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra alumni are co-executive producers Lauren Montgomery and Joaquim Dos Santos. Rounding up the crew is head writer Tim Hendrick while the animation is provided by Studio Mir!

10,000 years ago, the dreaded Emperor Zarkon fought King Alfor of Altea to steal his ultimate creation: Voltron. Created to defend the universe, Voltron is formed when five robot lions combine. Refusing to hand the Lions over to Zarkon, King Alfor separated them across the far corners of the universe.

10,000 years later, the Lions fall into the hands of five new pilots: Shiro, Keith, Lance, Pidge, and Hunk. Along with Princess Allura and her royal advisor, Coran, they must stop Emperor Zarkon and save the universe.

[​IMG]

Meet the Main Characters of Voltron: Legendary Defender.

[​IMG] Shiro: Guardian Spirit of Sky (voiced by Josh Keaton): The pilot of the Black Lion and the defacto leader of the Voltron team, Shiro is a dedicated leader and mentor to the rest of the crew. He has a cybernetic arm that can be used as a weapon. Thoughtful and calm, Shiro is more than ready to lead.

[​IMG] Keith: Guardian Spirit of Fire (voiced by Steven Yeun): The pilot of the Red Lion, Keith is hot-tempered and rash. A lone wolf at heart, he'd rather follow by his own rule even though he often looks up to Shiro. Maybe someday he'll grow from his impulsive nature. Until then, he lends his talents as the team's best pilot.

[​IMG] Lance: Guardian Spirit of Water
    (voiced by Jeremy Shada): The pilot of the Blue Lion, Lance is a goofy, fun-loving guy. He's your go-to source for terrible jokes and even worse pick-up lines. He may be too cocky for his own good (and too distracted by beautiful women), but sometimes confidence can lead to victory!

[​IMG] Pidge: Guardian Spirit of Forest (voiced by Bex Taylor-Klaus): The pilot of the Green Lion, Pidge is the smart guy of the team. He longs to find out what happened to his missing family. Pidge is a mastery of tech and often finds better comfort through it than other humans.

[​IMG] Hunk: Guardian Spirit of Land
    (Voiced by Tyler Labine): The pilot of the Yellow Lion, Hunk has a heart of gold and a stomach of iron. When he isn't stuffing his face, he helps out the team with his gifted mechanical skills.

[​IMG] Princess Allura (Voiced by Kimberly Brooks): The last surviving ruler of the Planet Altea, Princess Allura has been in cryogenic sleep for 10,000 years in Arus. She's determined to stop the evil Zarkon and save the universe. Her father, King Alfor, created Voltron, leaving her with a massive burden to bare. Will the new paladins of Voltron succeed or fail under her watch?

[​IMG] Coran
    (voiced by Rhys Darby): The royal advisor to Allura, Coran is a pompous, but eccentric man. Coran has been entrusted to protect and teach Princess Allura. Thankfully, he has plenty of knowledge to spare.

[​IMG] Voltron: The legendary defender of the universe, Voltron is the brainchild of Allura's father, King Alfor. It is comprised of five robot lions that when combined, forms the powerful mecha. The Galra Empire may not give up, but Voltron remains a symbol of hope to the entire universe!

[​IMG] Emperor Zarkon: (voiced by Neil Kaplan): Emperor Zarkon is the ruthless leader of the Galra Empire. He'll stop at nothing to obtain Voltron and rule the universe!

[​IMG] Commander Sendak:
    (voiced by Jake Eberle) Emperor Zarkon's first-in-command, Commander Sendak is loyal to the empire and will do anything to gain Voltron and the emperor's respect. He lost his arm in the front lines, but has since replaced it with a robotic appendage armed for battle.

[​IMG] Haggar (voiced by Cree Summer): A powerful witch who works for Emperor Zarkon, Haggar and her druids creates the numerous robeasts that battles Voltron on a daily basis.

Welcome to the official Toonzone talkback for Voltron: Legendary Defender. We're launching the talkback thread early, so join in and tell us how you feel. What are you most excited for? Do you think this reboot will do the franchise justice? Any favorite characters you're expecting? Plot theories or other speculations? Discuss them all here!

Official Links:
    Official Website
    Official Twitter
    Official Tumblr
    Official Facebook
    Official Instagram

Trailers:
    Trailer
    Forming A Legend
    Roar
    One Unit, One Goal
    Saving Shiro
    Finding the Blue Lion
    Shiro vs. Sendak
    When Five Become One

Toonzone Links:
    Voltron News and Discussion
    Toonzone Voltron: Legendary Defender News
    Voltron: Legendary Defender Fansite

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #1 Neo Yi, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I wonder who voices Zenrak.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My general thoughts:

- I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle building up Keith and his character development especially, and how much we might see saved for season 2 :).

- Josh Keaton as the lead in a giant robot show. Wow. Well, at least he will be for a while :sweat:.

- I'm looking forward to seeing how they develop Allura and if they'll possibly develop a romance between her and Keith.

- I wonder if they're saving the traditional Voltron combination phrase for Keith to use in the future o_O?

- They seem to be doing some interesting stuff with Zarkon and co., so I'm eager to see more of the Galra/Drule Empire and how they're handled as villains. They certainly look cool :cool:.

- Curious as to how long until Lotor makes his appearance...

- The action scenes, both with Voltron and the pilots, look pretty great :D.

- The Robeasts also look to have some really cool designs ;).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

If anyone can tell me, please let me know so I can edit the main post. I searched everywhere and found nothing.

5. Mike JD Silva

Mike JD Silva Active Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. Harley

Harley Embarassment Ninja
    Staff Member Administrator

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Mike JD Silva

• Like Like x 3
    #7 Mike JD Silva, Jun 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  8. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit

Harley's already got it up on Toonzone's Facebook page (spread the word, people!), but just to elaborate here:

You're invited to:
    The "Voltron: Legendary Defender" Premiere Episode Viewing Party!
    This Friday (June 10th) at 9 PM (EST)!

Details:

All 13 episodes are set to be released this Friday (June 10th). With Netflix, some people prefer to spread out the watching of episodes over days (or weeks), while some prefer to binge watch all episodes in one day.

Regardless of how you watching going forward, this is an online viewing party for the 1st episode this Friday night! Just start watching the 1st episode at 9 PM EST (6 PM Pacific time), and feel free to comment here in this thread while viewing the episode, or comment immediately following the completion of watching the 1st episode! Share your thoughts on the storyline, the animation, on the future of the series, or just any comments on all things Voltron!

Not going to be able to make the 9 pm showing? We will do a "rebroadcast" viewing at 11 PM EST (8 PM Pacific time)! (in other words, just start viewing it at 11 PM EST instead, and join in commenting here in this thread). No spoilers for future episodes (beyond the first episode) until Saturday, June 11th, please.

We hope to see you this Friday night!

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mike JD Silva

10. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ Cringey Network

11PM is my curfew, but 9PM is when my parents tell me to go to bed, so I'm afraid I can't join in. :(

11. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

Life saver! Thank you! I've gone and updated it (and corrected the misspelling of his name. I mistook it for "Zenrak" when it's really "Sendak." Whoops!) as well as added the new trailers and any other minor information that's been out since I created the thread.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mike JD Silva

No problem.

The official Voltron Facebook page has a quick voice actor overview with some new scenes splashed over the voice actor talk as well as a new clip of our paladins getting their armor and weapons as well as hear Coran for the first time. I unfortunately am unable to link them here though.

From twitter:

https://twitter.com/Voltron/status/740581717916844032

• Like Like x 1
  13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Listen, you may have all seen your share of Voltron media but the most important Legendary Defender picture is obviously RIGHT HERE:

[​IMG]

This is quite actually Voltron as brought to you by the Avatar: The Last Airbender people.....with all that this implies. ;)

I've had a shot at seeing the screener & have a lot of thoughts, and will have still more Friday night, but for now some tidbits about it to tide people over going into Friday.....

1. Remember Voltron Force? I do, and it was dreadfully disappointing to the point that I was apathetic about this until I found out who was making it. Now I know that this is as opposite that show as a cartoon with the name "Voltron" can possibly be. No gimmicks, no invented continuity that doesn't jive with the original, no continuity baggage at all since it's a reboot, no unlikable children. Even the CG Voltron is pretty much the style and quality we wish we'd had before. If VF ruined Voltron for you, this will fix it.

2. Legendary Defender is about as original as a franchise cartoon gets to be. It borrows names and elements from both classic Voltron and Beast King Go-Lion. For example known pilot names like Keith and Pidge exist alongside Black Lion pilot Shiro, originally Sven / "Shirogane" and the short-lived Blue Lion pilot. Instead of "The Drule" and "Planet Doom" you have the Galra Empire, which was the evil force in Go-Lion. Zarkon and Haggar are Voltron names, while Sendak is derived from the Japanese name of the character fans knew as Yurak. At the same time Legendary Defender is really beholden to neither show where it counts, and unapologetically its own thing.

3. No apparent sign yet of the crazy yet kinda awesome Voltron / Go-Lion mythology where Voltron is almost treated as a person and a mythological sci-fi warrior humbled and split into five parts by a space goddess. However, the robot lions do show obvious signs of being at least somewhat sentient, enough to literally choose their pilots not unlike the way not just anyone can pull Excalibur from the stone (a fact Voltron Force totally ignored). Curious......

4. I've seen the credits. It's not just showrunners Joaqim Dos Santos and Lauren Montgomery, the writers and storyboard artists were people connected to Avatar and / or Korra too. It's thoroughly the DreamWorks / Studio Mir coproduction being hinted at awhile ago. To pitch this, someone else doesn't even need to know what Voltron is. You can quip it's Avatar IN SPACE and be pretty much on the mark. What a world.

5. I predict Allura will be a fan favorite. Abandon everything you know about this character. It's glorious.

6. Every male pilot is improved to some degree and has some aspect to them or issue going on to make them more interesting than the archetypes of the original. My favorite is Shiro, which admittedly may be easy considering how quickly he was written out in the 80s. But he's real leader that can keep the others in line without being remotely condescending about it, and a great guy the others can all look to for their own reasons. Hunk may or may not be Bolin all over again, but shows signs of promise. Pidge is super likable. Keith and Lance are foils with a kind of rivalry that never grates the way this did in other spinoffs. They're way better as comrades than as a pale imitation of the tension between Leonardo and Raphael in TMNT.

7. The bad guys are....evil. They get the job done. Haggar is possibly improved as more of a kind of seer and oracle to Zarkon than a cackling space witch practicing magic or "occult science" (yes, Go-Lion really called it that). Zarkon looks way better than he did when he looked like a dude from the middle ages with purple skin. Sendak promises to be effective as his muscle and strong right arm, and you don't even have to take my word for it:

8. OK, small spoiler. Yes, there are space mice. Even these get to make sense and be not annoying, somehow!

9. They go out of their way to give pilots and Lions alike different abilities, temperaments and equipment, which is pretty cool. In the 80s cartoon the Lions all seemed fairly similar, but here sizes and shapes vary to really give them a visual identity onto themselves.

10. In Legendary Defender humanity is in the early stages of exploration, so I wouldn't have any expectations for Vehicle Voltron. This is just as well, because the premiere sets up more than enough to keep the narrative busy throughout this season - and beyond, if we're lucky.

• Like Like x 1
    #13 GWOtaku, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  14. dragoonanime

dragoonanime Member

Why was Shiro made the leader when in everything else Voltron related Keith is the leader? It makes me wonder if Shiro will die quick like he did in the original series.

15. Ed Liu

Ed Liu That's 'Cause I ATE IT!!!

I've watched the screener too. Shortest summation of my reaction:

If you want a longer one, re-read about 90% of GWOtaku's comments above (omitting the ones about Voltron Force 'cuz I never really watched it at all) and pretend it's me saying it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Neo Yi

Neo Yi The Apparition

I only vaguely watched the original anime waaaay back as a preteen when Cartoon Network aired them and the most I can remember is the catchy theme song. So I have vague interest in this show, but if what GWOtaku says is true (with Ed backing him up), I'm optimistic. Can't wait, guys.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think it's because they're going with a different take on Keith for the show (just like they're doing different takes on pretty much everybody), depicting him initially as a highly skilled loner who's too impulsive to be the leader, in all likelihood so they can give him a big character arc and develop him into the leader once something potentially/inevitably happens to Shiro at some point.

It already seems like from interviews, press release, etc., that he has a very close relationship with Shiro, so that'll probably play a part in it as well.

If you've seen Gurren Lagann, and are aware of the big twist in that series, then I'd expect something similar to happen in Voltron at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

For starters, this is a change that does a lot to shake up the team dynamics that long-time fans would otherwise be very familiar (and bored?) with. Another is that whereas the 1980s "space explorers" were equals and trained enough to make escaping slavery their opening act, the Legendary Defender people are young and flawed and have varying levels of skill. Since not much was done with Shiro(gane) in the original, I can see why they'd take the opportunity to get creative with him and to make him actually important at the same time. Shiro's the one showing them the best that they can be.

I'll say that if there were to be a death and they wanted it to hurt as much as possible, Shiro would be brutal. However, since this is the obvious *and* traditional way to go and there's no way this crew doesn't know that, that means the actually obvious way to go is the opposite one.

Unless they know *that* and.....nah, I'm going to stop that now. ;)

All I'm sure of is that whatever they do won't be wasteful, which Shirogane's downfall in episode 6 (episode 6!) really was.

• Like Like x 1
  19. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit

It's funny, I know the character designs/animation style should reminded me of Avatar/Korra...but instead, they remind me of Gurren Lagann.

You know what I'm perhaps most looking forward to? The design of the robeasts:

The looked really freakin' scary, when I was a kid.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For those who've seen the screener, does the series have an actual opening theme?

• Like Like x 1