Viz Starts 24-Hour Subscription Anime Channel "Neon Alley"

Discussion in 'The Anime Forum' started by HG Revolution, Jun 27, 2012.

1. HG Revolution

HG Revolution Truth (with crazy opinions!)

2. GingaDaiuchuu

GingaDaiuchuu Active Member

That's unexpected. I watch their streams for free and buy their releases if I want to watch it another way, so I won't be paying for this, but I do find it interesting.

3. Anyone00

Anyone00 The Moltar-Snork

Did Viz ask William Street? If not it may just be Viz figure they would be better off going it on their own.

4. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Well... Viz wont be giving anything other than Bleach to Toonami I guess.

The high possibility of no Tiger & Bunny on Toonami makes me a sad panda.

This is probably the best way for Viz to solve their dilema with Naruto Shippuden and to a lesser extent InuYasha: The Final Act.

Nice to hear LaGrange and the Beserk films will get a dub. If this service proves successful then Viz will be a lot more likely to dub the anime they license.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2012-06-27/viz-media-unveils-neon-alley

Apparently the anime will not be limited to Viz Media titles. Now I'm even more interested. If they get some Bandai backlog on this channel they could draw in a lot of nostalgics. I wonder who else might be able to offer content. I wouldn't count on FUNimation, what with the FUNi channel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  5. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 New Member

Didn't the article say that the channel will only be available via a game console? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't really think that rules out Tiger & Bunny from airing on Toonami.

6. Sketch

It doesn't rule it out but it does throw a monkey wrench into the works.

They claim dub premieres of Tiger & Bunny will be on the service. That is strike 1 for not airing on Toonami is dub premieres airing somewhere else.

Viz Media has set up this service most likely because they felt Adult Swim and other TV networks were not being accommodating to their needs. Viz providing their own venue and needing exclusive content for it to make it worth while to subscribers is strike 2.

Viz Media now having a way to offer that content without Adult Swim makes their relationship one in which neither really need the other and that means Viz can jack up prices and Adult Swim can choose to ignore their offers. That's basically strike 3.

However, the situation does not guarantee Tiger & Bunny or another other Viz series will not air on Toonami. It just makes them a lot less likely to air on Toonami because Viz will value the exclusivity of those shows. That might mean Toonami couldn't get them until some time after Viz is satisfied with their run on Neon Alley and while Casshern being on the FUNimation channel sets a precedence its' currently the exception to the rule.

But the biggest hindrance by far is Viz having somewhere else to air their shows dubbed and Adult Swim keeping Toonami on a tight budget which supposedly put even InuYasha: The Final Act out of their price range this year.

7. macattack

macattack I see you!

Toonami being on a tight budget is probably limiting Toonami's options regarding Viz titles. Viz has never been the most deal-friendly company, unlike FUNi which has been willing to cut prices in the past (and seems to have done so for Casshern and Deadman), while Bandai and Aniplex both have done (or rumored to have done) pay-to-play. Bleach will likely continue until it wraps up but the inevitable Bleach Shippuden/Final Act series may not show up which would not help Toonami one bit.

Anime companies wonder why FUNimation's share is getting larger and larger. FUNimation is the most media and consumer-savvy, that's why. FUNimation is not beholden to any Japanese parent company and that means they don't need to abide by any draconian expectations. FUNi also recognizes they need Adult Swim more than Adult Swim needs them. That's why they put new titles on Toonami.

I definitely think Neon Alley put a monkey wrench into Viz's and Adult Swim's relationship and likely means there will be no Tiger & Bunny or Zetman or Inuyasha on AS. Unless Neon Alley blows up in Viz's face, anyway.

I think that Toonami will basically be a FUNimation + Bleach block unless Aniplex manages to get Blue Exorcist and/or Fate/ZERO on the air (I believe one or the other got a test dub for a pitch to Adult Swim according to a DM I got on Twitter from a source I will not name). Which isn't exactly a good thing, but FUNimation has a ton of properties so Toonami should survive without Viz.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2012
  8. c@rt00nguy26

c@rt00nguy26 New Member

Well that's unfortunate. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

9. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

Are people forgetting Cassern Sns has been on DVD and Netflix? This doesn't mean that Tiger and Bunny etc. won't be on Toonami ever. This is bascially their eqvalent to Funimation channel. I doubt it will affect pricing of the titles, makes no sense. Panty and Stocking, One Piece were also on that list of things Toonami could not afford. I mean some are making it seem like Funimation snaps their fingers and puts their shows on Adult swim. Funimation had put an offer and they accepted. Tiger and Bunny, Zetman are probably not even finished being dubbed yet.

10. ChibiGoku

ChibiGoku Something Not Quite Right

Thought I'd mention this. Apparently Viz Media uploaded an image of the TV Guide from the service, and it had the PS3 controller buttons. They caught it and painted it out, however. Here's the original image, and here's what Viz replaced it with.

11. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator

Quite correct, and convincingly confirmed at the panel about this at AX:

12. VSigma100

VSigma100 Still Gold

Not to mention the fact that Casshern Sins also aired on FUNimation Channel, and is still airing on it. So I don't quite see how Neon Alley ruins any chances of shows like Final Act and Tiger & Bunny.

13. Sketch

Well we're not getting the dub premieres on Toonami at any rate. Hopefully it doesn't take as long for Tiger & Bunny to come along as it did for Casshern after it hit Netflix.

14. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

On another at the panel they reiterated that this is a multi-studio effort, they indicated that they're open to talks/talking with companies like FUNimation and even Warner Brothers. I mention those two because those were pointed out during the Q&A by fans.

15. Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1 Not 9000! It Burns!

I wouldn't be too happy if FUNi joins Neon Alley, other than putting old shows on NA that already aired on Adult Swim (ie. Shin Chan, Full Metal Alchemist, etc.), that would be the end of Toonami since 2008. I don't mind that NA air FUNi shows, as long as it's old licensed or rescued shows airing in the overnight hours like Shin Chan and Full Metal Panic.

Some of us don't even have a 360, Wii U, or PS3, refuse or can't afford to pay a $6.99/month premium. I might consider watching NA when the Xbox 720 is released along with watching DirecTV on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  16. VSigma100

VSigma100 Still Gold

Can someone please explain how Neon Alley would be the end of Toonami if more companies jumped on board? Keep in mind, Toonami isn't just a block for anime. Never has and I certainly don't think that Williams Street is going to change that anytime soon.

And personally I don't believe that Neon Alley will go over that well at all. First of all Neon Alley is a scheduled channel. I don't quite see why an anime fan would want to watch shows scheduled, when they can choose what they watch when, on Netflix, Hulu, etc. So why pay for Neon Alley, when you get to choose what you watch on Hulu and Netflix? Seems kind of pointless to me. Not to mention it's not like it's gonna be apart of a cable service, but a single game console. A game console that many people probably won't even own. Neon Alley will probably be a flop like the FUNimation Channel ended up being. Just my two cents.

17. bleachj0j

bleachj0j Demon Slayer in training

Viz has also put Nana, Honey and Clover, and Hunter x Hunter on the funimation channel. It's not unheard of for Viz and Funimation to team up.

18. firecrouch

firecrouch A Pimp of Science!

It won't be the end of Toonami, you're totally off the mark. FUNimation shows can still air on both Neon Alley and Toonami without competing with each other, they're two different venues. The guy at the panel specidically said that Toonami can't take every show in VIZ's catalog so Neon Alley is the next best thing.

Also key word on "some". A big percentage of VIZ's demographic owns at least one major video game console, and as Neon Alley grows it'll probably go to other platforms. Also if you have a PS3 or Xbox 360 $6.99 is most likely nothing. I'm willing to bet that a lot of those fans complaining about the subscription package thing are a just a vocal minority of their audience and that perhaps some haters will still pay for it.

Neon Alley serves a slightly different purpose for the anime fan community, It's for more casual fans that may prefer dubs. Fans on Hulu and Netflix can pick and choose series they're already familiar with. Having something like Neon Alley which is essentially a T.V. channel might give an experience where somebody who just wants to kill time can sit back, relax, and perhaps discover a new title. Internet streaming may be growing as well, but the television experience is still relevant and works.

As far as being limited to one game console limiting its success, again, a lot of VIZ's demographic has either a PS3 or Xbox 360, it's not like video games are some niche market. On top of that it hasn't even started yet, this thing is pretty much an experiment, VIZ isn't gonna just put it on a bunch on platforms hoping for big success. You gotta be realistic and realize VIZ must have realistic expectations and it'll probably need plenty of time to build up true success.

And as far as FUNimation Channel goes, well, it's still around so it's not a flop. It just feels like a flop because for the amount of years it's been around it hasn't made much headway. I will say this: Neon Alley is a smarter idea than FUNimation Channel because it's kind of meant to be a solution to the problems of getting anime to take off on broadcast T.V. Kind of what's wrong with FUNimation Channel.

19. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

That was a flub on the ANN reporting staff. The actual PR said Neon Alley would be available on video game consoles.

As for this service, I'm a bit mixed on it. Viz says it'll launch in Canada, which is a lot more than I can say about Toonami and The Funimation Channel, but at the same time I'm not certain I trust Viz to hold up their end. I'm also not so sure that a service meant for the discovery of anime should be a subscription based service, and be an app that people purposely have to boot up to watch. How exactly is that going to bring in new fans? Then there's the fact that it's a subscription based service that still has ads.

20. Sketch

Having a few vastly popular anime that people are willing to pay to see dub premieres of gets them to subscribe and the discovery is what they see on a whim beyond that point. It'd work better if it was free but they'll likely have a free trial of some kind but I think for discovery it will work better than Netflix and Hulu because casuals are not all that inclined to finish an episode of one show and then look for an episode of another show to watch because Netflix in particular is ideal for marathons of one show and unless you're watching a show on Hulu as it "airs" then there will be a backlog which would also be good for marathons and the related videos probably don't get watched all that often by people coming for one show in particular. Neon Alley's linear format could very well work better at the concept of drawing viewers in with a popular series and introducing them to something they've never seen or even heard of before.