1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Vixen" Animated Series News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jan 11, 2015.

1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Discuss the upcoming Vixen animated series, announced by CW Seed during the Winter 2015 TCA. The animated series debuts Fall 2015.

[​IMG]

Vixen
    Originally from Africa, Mari McCabe's (voiced by Megalyn Echikunwoke) parents were killed by local greed, corruption, and wanton violence. But the orphaned Mari refuses to succumb to the terrors surrounding her. Inheriting her family's Tantu Totem, Mari can access the powers of animals—anything from the super-strength of a gorilla to the speed of a cheetah. As Vixen, she fights valiantly to protect the world from the threats like those that claimed her family.

Based on characters from DC Comics, Vixen is produced by Blue Ribbon Content and Warner Bros. Animation, with executive producers Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, and Andrew Kriesberg.

Stay tuned for further updates and more!

Thoughts?

2. gmster

gmster Active Member

A Vixen animated series was announced at the TCA:

[​IMG]

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=113451

3. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Oh, hey, the promo artist actually drew at an interesting angle (art sucks, though). Let's hope the series is as ambitious.

Mod Note: Don't be a jerk. Be constructive in your criticism in the future, please.

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

So, DC is taking its action cartoons to venues other than Cartoon Network? That's good to hear. I look forward to it.

5. Mostezli

Mostezli Corroborating with EVIL

That bow is colored wrong...that's all the criticism I have.

HUZZAH, DC animated went DIGITAL!
    I can't wait to find out which DCA alumn Guggenheim got for this, other than Bourassa, ofc.
    I'm also curious to know how well they treat it like the live-action counterparts.

#5 Mostezli, Jan 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2015
  6. the_joker

the_joker Active Member

So this show takes place in the same universe as Arrow and Flash?

Hopefully, this show will be a success and lead to more DC animated shows.

7. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Does this mean we're sticking to the darker GA played by Stephen Amell rather than Alan Tudyk? And will it also mean that it's just another "Adult" cartoon?

8. KYO'NYUU IMOUTO

Yes, it is set in the same universe (or an animated approximation) as the universe playing out in Arrow and The Flash.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, a Vixen animated series set in the DCTVU? Awesome! Not only is it cool to see Vixen getting the spotlight, but we also have a new addition to the Arrow-verse and a new DC action-cartoon to boot :D.

I really like Vixen's design, and it definitely looks like Bourassa is part of this as a designer...though I wonder if there was any input from the costume designer of Flash and Arrow on how Vixen's should look? Flash and Arrow both actually look pretty good in that art style, especially Flash :).

I guess this means Vixen is the DCTVU Wonder Woman then? We even have a Trinity shot in the promo art for her cartoon ;).

It would be cool if they could get Stephen Amell and Grant Gustin to reprise their role as Arrow and Flash respectively, if only for just a cameo :cool:.

#9 Frontier, Jan 11, 2015
  10. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond New Member

Hi Guys

I don't really log on and post on this forum but I do follow it a lot. I am really excited for this Vixen Animated Series. My cousin is one of the people who is working on the animated design portion of this show with other members in his group. He would not tell me any information on it but he said he would tell me later on.

Give this show a chance guys so we can get more animated series going because if this one is a success my cousin told me CW has a couple more ideas of DC animated series they want to develop!!!

11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I still wish WW got her series first. She is the first comic book superheroine.

12. Robert McSantos

Glad to see that Warner Brothers animation has found a way to make action cartoons without getting screwed over by Cartoon Network.

Hopefully interneters will be willing to turn their adblock off so the show will actually be able to make some money.

Dude, have you seen The Flash? It's as "comic booky" as any cartoon. It's the first live action show I've seen that really feels like a superhero adventure. Since this show is in the same universe, I'm not worried about it being too "adult".

13. GWOtaku

GWOtaku Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Wow. This is potentially very big, very impactful news.

This is the first time we have a DC animated series that doesn't have children as its primary target, and it's starting online. So, theoretically, they can pretty much do whatever they want with this as far as content goes and make it feel like Arrow and The Flash. If this catches on we're talking about a whole other tier of DC animation that's actually made directly for people that grew up on the stuff from the 90s or even DCAU Justice League now. If this gets attention, they won't stop here.

Also they're actually leading with Vixen, who is no one's idea of an A-list superhero. She had some spotlights in Justice League Unlimited and that was the high point. But she's got her own unique personality & life & power set, and they're actually taking the bet they can do something effective with her. Arrow and Flash are big names supporting this, granted, but this is still news of an adult woman of color leading her own animated series right after we have The Legend of the Korra finishing up. If this works, that's another ceiling breaker. And if they'll do her, who knows what other character could be next? Ray Palmer's making his ATOM suit on Arrow, they could branch out to other heroes that haven't shown up in Arrow or Flash. Hell, maybe it even opens a door to a Wonder Woman show on one of the networks. If this works, if that Supergirl live action series works? That could create just the incentive needed to take further chances on DC animation and / or DC heroes in other media also.

Finally, here's yet another step upward for digital-first content as the efforts of Netflix and Amazon Studios are just getting off of the ground. I'm telling you, in ten years the landscape for animated series could look a whole lot different than it did at the turn of the decade.

14. BatmanBeyond

BatmanBeyond New Member

Yes I hope people actually turn off ad block so its helps out their revenue. My cousin that works at the animation designs for this show has told me there is a chance that after the week the episode airs on their website it will also be uploaded on their YouTube channel. So getting it views on YouTube and also Likes will help them earn revenue to put more into the show and possibly more DC animated series my cousin hinted that CW are working on.

15. wickedmountain

Oh wow awesome yes more animated series please woot :D

16. BonnieB21:-)

BonnieB21:-) Active Member

I'm Shocked

Was not expecting DC/WB to announce a Vixen cartoon of all people:eek:. I thought I was being punked, especially when I couldn't find any other information about it.

Good for her. Can't wait to see who they'll cast. The usual suspects include: Kimberly Brooks, Cree Summers, Kittie, and Gina Torres.

It's a shame more people won't see the show because you have to search it out online. Man, I hate Cartoon Network and their lack of support for any shows starring women and weirdly shows that star the world's most popular superheroes:confused:. Why would The CW stop broadcasting on Saturday mornings if they were going to start airing DC cartoons? Why couldn't they just air there?

And since this is going to be online will the animation be traditional or FLASH:p. I have nightmares of the Gotham Girls shorts dancing in my head. Who knows, maybe they'll pick up the DC Nation shorts. Plus is this a full, real 22 minute- 13 episode series? Or a bunch of [junk] 6 minute Flash shorts slapped together? I hope it's the former, but it'll probably be the latter.

Still can't wait to hear more about it.

A DC cartoon that somehow doesn't star Batman....... 2015 is looking up already.

#16 BonnieB21:-), Jan 11, 2015
  17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm pretty excited for the news myself. With this along with "Justice League: Gods and Monsters Chronicles", it's great that we're getting more mature animated action content.

It definitely ain't going to be easy. An ad based revenue system isn't as sustainable as a subscription-based one. It'll be interesting to see how well the series performs, and I hope it'll lead to more in the future. It'll definitely help if they promote Vixen's new show on TV.

18. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

This is really great news. I wasn't expecting to see another woman of color led action cartoon so soon after Korra.

19. philbourassa

philbourassa New Member

Hey Jacob, I've read some pretty scathing critiques of our work that you have written in the past and while some of it was pretty vicious, I never felt the need to chime in because it seemed relatively educated if not objective or as fully informed as you may like to believe. It didn't seem like it was just coming out of pure meanness, this comment on the other hand... you're gonna have to back this one up my friend. I get that art is subjective but maybe you can tell me why you think this art "sucks". Just for kicks.

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

There's been talk of An Atom spinoff starring Brandon Routh, but I imagine that's still a ways away. Especially considering we've yet to even see Ray in-suit yet :sweat:.

I wonder if, for casting the voice of Vixen, they'll get someone who could reasonably play her in live-acton?