1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Venom" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, May 19, 2017.

1. SuperFan2024

SuperFan2024 Shoo fly.

Hm, now that I'm thinking about it, Homecoming is PG-13 and is aimed at kids to teens to adults, while Venom is rated R, which means it's aimed at older teens and adults. If Spidey faces Venom in the second Spidey film, then this might be a problem if kids are looking for Venom's origins. Oh well, maybe they could just not use Venom in the second Spidey movie or just explain the origins in the movie itself so kids won't have to watch the rated R film.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

My impression from the video is that she made up her mind about it and wants to push Marvel to agree, because it would increase their potential profit, but Marvel hasn't decided yet and they're debating how to do this. In the end though I think they will have no other option than to connect. Question is how that will affect the character moving forward. Especially if that R film is made.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

I'm not expecting it to really affect the MCU much. Since Sony has the final say on the characters, we will probably never get the MCU outright contradicting Venom or the claims it's set in the same universe (by say, introducing a version of Venom in Infinity War that's not Tom Hardy or something along those lines), but they're probably not gonna feature them in the movies either. I think it will end up like the divide between the movies and TV shows, where the former never references the latter, despite supposedly sharing the same canon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

My only positive takeaway from this is that we might actually get to see Holland show up as Spider-Man in the movie :D.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I feel like Pascal made this up on the spot. I dearly hope I'm wrong.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I just think talks and contracts are influx. It took them this long to come up with releasing info on Holland in the films.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

I fully expect there to be Internet memes of Feige's reaction as Pascal said that out loud.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. RoryWilliams

RoryWilliams Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

10. Checkerboard

So many questions now. Who will play Carnage - ie. who's even bigger, better and crazier than Hardy? What motivation will Venom have in the film to fight Carnage alongside with Spiderman instead of teaming up with Carnage to destroy Spiderman if that's the plan? Will Venom interact with Spiderman at all or will Spiderman be in the film in the background just as support? Will they fight together? Imo Holland's version of Spiderman is immature and doesn't stand a chance. He's much younger and weaker. Venom would destroy him right away. So how will they solve it in order for the audience to keep a straight face if those two match up? Holland will need some serious time in the gym. And how much CGI will there be in the film since Venom and Carnage aren't exactly static characters and the symbiote is constantly organically in motion? Plus what about the rating? If Holland will be in the film, coming from PG13 to R, how will it affect the film itself? So many questions.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm still not excited for this film, but I have to admit, the idea of Venom fighting Carnage on the big screen is exciting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Hmmm so it seems like they are actually just having this "Venomverse" just be part of the MCU. Maybe it will just be like the Netflix or ABC shows where even though it's part of the same continuity there are only vague ties though if Holland's in it that at least signifies they'll have a direct connection back to the rest of the Avengers team.

Actually if they're doing that what we should see is Spider Man getting the black costume in Avengers Inifinity War (for once actually really showcasing it's more space elements like maybe it's gotten in a fight with the Guardians of the Galaxy) and have that be a small little subplot in the movie and then at the beginning of Venom show Peter not being able to deal with the symbotie's more violent urges and then have it shrug off him and go to Brock. If they're only planning on possibly getting Holland I can't imagine they wrote him a huge part so for those expecting this major tussle between spider Man and Venom... I don't think we're going to get that. I think the big focus will be on Venom vs Carnage and playing up the more horrifying/gorier aspects of the character. Since pretty sure they're still gunning for that R and if the MCU is fine with that they should really play out the scarifying/creepy aspect of Venom to especially show just how terriying someone like Carnage is. And you know I admit I'm not the biggest fan of the characters but in the 90's series they did a good job playing Cassidy as this manic obsessive psychotic without being built like a giant mountain man. You need someone INSANE and out there to play him but you don't need a power house since Carnage is less about that kind of raw destructive power and more just about psychotic destruction and killing since yeah that's the main thing about the character whoever is cast needs to get right: Carnage isn't about schemes or conquest he is about destruction and murder so have that be his major and real only focus.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I can only see Paul Dano as Kasady at this point.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  14. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Jim Carrey was a fan favourite to play Carnage in the Noughties.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  15. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

Honestly Jim Carrey even now isn't a bad choice. Kletus though suppose to be insane and intense does have a really sick out there sense of humor and Carrey no longer has to worry about playing the kind of just harmless goofball characters he had in the 90's. I mean he wouldn't be playing him like The Mask or Ace Ventura or even Riddler. I could see him doing a good job playing this dark hero but... it's not going to happen. Remember Jim Carrey was Colonel Star and Stripes in Kick-Ass 2. And yeah he did good in that particular role but... due to a tragic shooting Carrey not only didn't promote that film but actually spoke against the violence portrayed in it leading to that film (which again is one of my personal favorite comic book movies ever) doing very poorly at the box office. Well okay that wasn't the only reason but it did contribute. And honestly even if Carrey moved past those feelings and would play a much more darker/twisted kind of character... that's one of those "yeah you kind of majorly hurt a movie by being a part of it you're not getting these type of roles anymore" kind of moves. That's the impression I got so I don't see any chance of him in the role even if it could work.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Checkerboard

If I were to chose someone to play Carnage I'd pick Jackie Earle Haley or Robert Knepper.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can see they're not wasting anytime in introducing other Symbiote hosts :p.

I'm not surprised to see them using the Ultimate origin. A Bio-suit to cure cancer is easier to integrate into a story then an alien parasite, particularly if Eddie's dad will still be responsible for it, though I wonder how they'll handle the Symbiote's sentience...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Advanced integrated A.I. intended for health monitoring? :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

"We are Venom, your personal healthcare companion" :p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1