1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Venom" Pre-Release Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by MDawg, May 19, 2017.

1. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    #1 MDawg, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  2. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I can definitely see Hardy as Brock. He's got the build and the acting chops to pull him off. So, on that front, pretty strong casting :cool:.

It's also kind of funny to see him go from playing Bane to playing Venom :p.

A shame we probably won't get to see him play off Holland though :(.

3. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is kinda bittersweet news for me. I'd rather them save Venom for later, but so long as the MCU Spider-Man films are doing well, I will have to just accept this.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. thisguyisnotcool

thisguyisnotcool Active Member

Well congrats to Hardy at least

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Neo Ultra Mike

Neo Ultra Mike Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

The article really shouldn't call it a Spinoff since obviously this isn't going to have anything to do with the MCU and will take place in a Sonyverse where maybe Venom of all things is the cataylst for other Spider Man related characters and situations. It's not a bad choice since though the Bane voice was rather goofy that wasn't really Tom's fault and he provided a lot of strength in that role which you need as Venom that Topher Grace didn't really have. Plus with stuff like Dark Knight Rises and even Mad Max Fury Road Tom doesn't mind his face being covered for a good portion of screentime so we hopefully won't get as many stupid "take away the symobite just to see the actor's face when they're suppose to be full Venom" moments as Spider Man 3.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I...wow. I'm surprised they got such a high-profile actor involved. Maybe the pitch was really good?

I wish I could be excited, but I just don't trust Sony.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Ruben Fleischer would a great choice for director if they can get him. Hardy, I'm on the fence. He's got the look to be Eddie Brock and all but some of his past roles were hit or miss, imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder how they're going to handle Hardy as Venom? A practical suit or motion-capture? Maybe even a mixture of both o_O?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm, I think that may depend on the design logic of the symbiote suit. For like talk scenes, will the suit be just static like a regular costume or will it always be dynamic and shifting/oozing?

Hardy wearing that green suit with the globes all over is instant meme material.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, if they're true to the comics then he'll definitely need to at least talk through the suit and not just have his face pop up like Topher did.

So the face and mouth will have to be able to move and emote, outside the tongue obviously :rolleyes2:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

While I'm still not totally sure about this movie, if they do it right, then I have no real reason to complain. Hopefully Tom Hardy is a great Venom!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

I love their call on giving Hardy the role of Venom really awesome.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

I don't trust Sony either because they're being too greedy now. Not against Hardy as Venom though.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It's kind of sad to think that the closest we'll get to Hardy and Holland encountering each other is at a con or other engagement and not in this movie :(.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Checkerboard

Checkerboard THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS

I'm super hyped about this. Glad it's finally happening. Potential is huge. Fingers crossed. And no, we don't need Spiderman in this. Better they ignore him and give Venom all the room he needs. Especially when the current live Spiderman wouldn't stand a chance against him.

16. AdrenalineRush1996

AdrenalineRush1996 Active Member

Yeah, but if they can't have Spidey, then they have to revise the origin story for the film.

You'll be disappointed if this turns out to be Catwoman because I've had enough of Sony continuing their spin-off plans and that the film rights should be fully reverted back to Marvel. I can't picture this without Spidey.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know, when Venom's motivations and identity are kinda defined by Spider-Man, it feels weird to think of them as wholly separate entities that will never crossover with each other.

Heck, Holland's Spidey could use a villain who he could actually punch...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

We've seen plenty of Venom solo stories in the comics so I can imagine a Venom movie without Spider-Man to be honest. I'm not saying I want that, but I can imagine it much more than other people seem to be able to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think you can do a story with Venom without Spider-Man, but at the same time Spider-Man is important part of Venom's origin and motivations as well as being a major antagonist to Spidey, so the writers are probably going to have to come up with a lot of original material to make this a cohesive work without involving Spider-Man.

I'm wondering how they're going to explain away Venom's spider-logo and web-slinging :sweat:?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Greg91

Greg91 Member
    Reporter

That's the thing; do they need to remove the spider-logo and web-slinging? They could leave it in and not explain anything or come up with some minor explanation like the symbiote has spider like qualities.

I think people need to open their mind to the possibilities of how they tackle this character without Spider-Man. Again, I'm not defending the choice not to include Spider-Man, but it's totally possible to change some things and yet the character will still feel like Venom. I'm just glad this isn't Venom's first movie appearance and it's without Spider-Man. I'd be more upset if that was the case.

I'm open to seeing how this turns out after Tom Hardy was cast. Before that, I wanted Sony to let this movie go for now, but I have an open mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1