Usagi Yojimbo Motion Comic Free

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Alpha Flight, May 1, 2012.

1. Alpha Flight

Alpha Flight Comic Book Writer/Editorialist

2. Angilasman

Angilasman New Member

The art is spectacular, but it doesn't really come across. Stan Sakai is a master cartoonist and one of the things he's great at is the visual rhythm of the story. This motion comic has no pauses to soak up what's going on, while in the original story they're fundamental in the art.

Also, I find some of the animation distracting and the voice acting wasn't very good.

Sorry to be a Negative Nelly! I love Dark Horse's creator owned stuff, and Usagi is my favorite (and they're doing Concrete next!), but I just didn't care for the execution on this one.

3. Alpha Flight

I think you're right Anqilasman. As a Usagi fan, I just think it's fun and I guess I wasn't comparing it to the best motion comics cause it's free. Thank you for reading!

4. Angilasman

Angilasman New Member

... The Concrete motion comic is up and I think it's much better in every respect: animation, direction, voice acting, even the music! I hope it gets some interested in the series (another favorite of mine), what with a new miniseries on the horizon.

5. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

These are okay, but they aren't really comics. They're just cartoons.

6. Alpha Flight

Shawn Hopkins, the reason why they're not cartoons is because they're a promotion tool to get people into comics. Kind of like what trailers do for movies and games. Motion comics are also made due to the cost of creating a cartoon. Voice actors, animation, and distribution all cost money. I'm glad this is now a series and I'm looking forward to the next episode.

7. Alpha Flight

Wow, thanks for the update Angilasman!