USA to be invaded by thousands of robot drones from the Amazon

Discussion in 'Cafe toonzone' started by Aquadementia, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

[​IMG]

As you may of heard, within a few years Amazon wants to start delivering packages by automated helicopters. The plan is packages weighing up to 5 pounds could be delivered within 10 miles of a fulfillment center in about 30 minutes.

Seems like this would leave the package on the sidewalk instead of at the door. Possibly on the roof if you want it to.

Personally, I'm of the "I've lived without it this long" philosophy and take the cheapest and therefore longest delivery option available. I also live nowhere near any fulfillment center so I can't see using this.
    It occurs to me that brick and mortar stores that have been taking it on the chin thanks to online ordering would make good drone launching centers since they are already distributed across the country.

Sounds like a cool, futuristic idea. I remember they used to say one day we would have televisions thin enough to hang on the wall like a picture, but maybe this will happen instead.

2. defunctzombie

defunctzombie Cutie Pie

Remind me what the words "sloth" and "avarice" mean again?

Bezos needs a chill pill. Plus it always amazes me that people will pay extra for overnight delivery on amazon when the cost of going to a local store (who will probably price match for the bigger stuff) and picking it up would be similar.

3. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Steven Sword!

Maybe history will prove me wrong, but this looks to be for this decade what VR helmets were for the 90's. There are too many reasons why this won't work: The packages will be much easier to steal. There's a greater risk of their being lost. Inevitably one will get tangled in power lines and cut off electricity to thousands of homes. You can't have them deliver to apartments. Lots of birds will be sawed in half.

They haven't even cleared any of this with the FAA yet. If they block it, that's the end of the discussion for Amazon.

4. Light Lucario

Light Lucario Moderator

Yeah, this looks really impractical to me. It would be really easy for these drones to collide into each other, cut telephone wires, hurt birds, potentially harm people as it's landing and for the packages to be lost. It might look cool to some, but it doesn't seem like it would work out in the long run. Besides that, if people live that close to a fulfillment center, they'd most likely get their package fast anyway and there are shipping methods that would give it to them within a day, so there's really no need for a rush like that in my opinion.

5. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.

The only time I would allow a drone near my house would be to drop off a large sack of money. Otherwise, no. USPS, FedEx, UPS and the like should stay open for business. Weird idea, Bezos.

6. Dr. Daedalus

Dr. Daedalus I presume.

The Guardian had a good opinion piece on why this seems unlikely for quite a while. (Also, any orders from non-warehouse sellers, which constitutes a huge number, would be delivered the old-fashioned way anyway)

Personally, I'm fine with waiting a couple days for a package. I've got plenty of stuff to do in the meantime.

7. Aquadementia

Aquadementia That's a lot of Mulaney!

There's competition already.

[video=youtube;6LtoSsE_4qU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LtoSsE_4qU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2013
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

Hmm. Cool idea in theory.

But what if the bot malfunctioned mid-delivery? There goes your package.

9. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

This idea sounds to sci-fi for me. I am okay with FedEx and UPS delivering my stuff.

10. purplehairedwonder

purplehairedwonder No woman should suffer at the hands of men

I already have Prime, and two-day shipping is quick enough for me. The idea needs some work, but the theory is actually really cool. I'll be excited to see what this means for the future.

11. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Hey, you know what's better than robots delivering your mail? The post office! T_T

12. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier Wandering about in both ANGER & DISGRACE

Who Dares To Attmept a Rescue From My Lair?
    This - can we stop putting people in this country out of work BEFORE we end up like the Hunger Games?!

13. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 God Bless America!

Hmm...I don't see how a lack of mailmen will cause teenagers to fight each other to the death, especially since the novel was a cautionary tale on corruption, and was a social commentary on the obsession of entertainment and celebrities, but okay then.

14. Dan's Revenge

Dan's Revenge Revengeful

I thought it was a flying gas grill on instance.

If this'd ever happen, I can imagine people wanting to get it down in any means necessary if they see it.