1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[Upfront Week] The CW announces Fall 2007-2008 schedule

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by RoseBusch, May 17, 2007.

1. Kolbar

Kolbar @Cinecrisis on Twitter

If they really are going to axe the show after Tuesday's finale, they should do a TV-movie (or a feature film) or some kind of special to give it a great ending and conclude everything.

2. Hanshotfirst1138

Hanshotfirst1138 Singing drunken lullabies

Maybe you're right. I guess it was time for Gilmore Girls to go after ASP left, so not a big surprise, and its had a good run anyway.

3. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

It took Seinfeld 4 and a half seasons to get to be one of the most popular shows of all time. But, networks have yet to learn how to push shows properly.

4. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

The Seinfeld comparison doesn't really hold up, and you can't blame the network for this one. VM was given every chance to succeed, they even aired episodes on MTV to try and reach a different demographic, but it just didn't grab the viewers. Not surprising really. What's the target audience for a show about a sassy, tom-boy-ish teenage detective who doesn't even kill vampires?

It always seemed like a tough show to sell, and the network consensus was that it just wasn't "sexy" enough, which is why they really started pushing the romantic element, but to no avail. The show basically had two seasons where it really didn't pretend to be anything other than what it was, and it was clearly never going to find a big audience like that, so I'm much happier to see it go than for it to become a cheap OC knock-off. Kristen Bell was also starting to look a little bit old for 18.

5. Desensitized

Desensitized Old School!

To be truthful, I wasn't really justifying it's cancellation as the show has had quite a few chances. But there are plenty of shows that don't even get as many chances as this show got.

Oh well, it could've been on Fox.

6. Robin2099

Robin2099 Active Member

Glad to see Supernatural coming back, since the show just keeps getting better and better each season. Outside of that, there's nothing else for me to get excited about. Reaper could be ok, but I'm not 100% sure from the plot description.

7. Storm Eagle

Storm Eagle Power to the peaceful

I never paid much attention to either network back then really. Yet I still couldn't help but miss the days of Buffy, Dawson's Creek, Roswell, etc. I realize that things seemed more alive back then, after looking at CW's fall schedule. Not many shows.

Anyway, I think I'll only check out Beauty and the Geek, since I heard that it was going to go in a different direction some time. The roles would be reversed. The GIRLS would be the geeks, and it's the guys who'd be the "himbos".

8. launchpad25

launchpad25 Member

I never had that much faith in The CW as a network anyways. If they had a 'Married With Children' type show, or an animated show to compete with 'The Simpsons', and 'Family Guy', maybe i would've given it a chance.

9. RoseBusch

RoseBusch Member

Hooray! One of my threads is going long and strong.:) :anime: :D ;) :p :yawn: :sweat: :eek:

10. Shawn Hopkins

Shawn Hopkins TZ Member of the Year 2013

Since when has that ever stopped TV producers? The Smallville kids were supposed to be freshmen in their first season, but they all looked like they were in their 20s and drove cars. Some of the Beverly Hills 90210 cast was in its 30s.

11. Hanshotfirst1138

Yeah, I guess. I mean, beyond sex appeal from Kristen Bell (I'm going to hell...I'm going to hell....I'm going to hell....I'm going to hell....) I don't think that there was anything in it that really would click with the mainstream. It's one of those niche shows which will probably build up a huge audience of people who realized that it was great in reruns like Firefly.

12. Storm Eagle

They were freshmen and drove cars? What state did the show take place in anyway?

13. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

But once you've lowered the bar of expectation to 90210 or Smallville level, it's time to can the show, don't you think?

Bell doesn't even have that much general sex appeal. I happen to think she's perfectly charming, but she virtually never figures in surveys on that particular topic, and the role was never planned or played as sexy, the way Buffy was. Like you said, it was always going to struggle to be anything other than a niche show.

14. Shawn Hopkins

I don't think so. Buffy had people that looked too old to be in high school, too. Still my favorite show ever. And Linda Cardellini on Freaks and Geeks. No way she looks 15, but it's still a great show.

Kristen Bell was number 46 on Maxim's 100 hottest women of 2007 list. That's not the top, but it is relatively high. I think she has an exotic beauty that kind of grows on you after time, but it might just be that she looks a lot like a girl I used to have a crush on.

I hope she finds good opportunities after this. That horror movie she was in, Pulse, was howlingly bad. One of the worst movies I've seen in years, with the stupidest premise.

For the record, Veronica Mars is probably my second favorite show, after Buffy, and I'm sad to see it go. I thought the first season and to a lesser extent the second season were brilliant, but I think the show was a victim of its complex season arcs. I watched it on DVD and even then I had trouble keeping up with all the red herrings, plots and subplots. I imagine if you missed an episode you were pretty much screwed and there was no reason to come back. This kind of thing doesn't stop 24, though, so I guess there are other factors.

Smallville takes place in Kansas. I'll admit right now they rode the bus in the first episode, but they started driving cars pretty quick. Oh, and since I'm watching it on DVD it was easy to notice that Chole and Pete Ross drove lots of different cars, as if they had huge multi-car garages at their mansions like Lex Luthor did. Clark Kent drove the same farm truck pretty much every time he drove, even though it was blown up like six times.

15. Storm Eagle

It's just that the usual age range of freshmen in America is 14-15, and as far as I know, the minimum age which you can get a driver license is 16 (or 17, depending on the state). But then, TV shows tend to get away with lacking logic anyway.

16. Shawn Hopkins

Yep. I can accept a 14-year-old boy who is bulletproof, but not one with a driver's license. I guess it makes the show easier to do. Clark can run every where but it would be weird to have Chloe and Pete Ross be chauffered around Kansas by their moms.

At least this is the way I remember things. I'm pretty sure they were driving way too early. I just explained it by pretending they were really juniors, because the only real reference to being freshmen is some freshmen hazing rituals early on.

The dumbest thing ever on Smallville, and I've watched 4 1/2 seasons so far and there's been a lot of dumb stuff, was when Clark made a diamond by crushing coal. That's cool, Superman can do that, right? Well the diamond was perfectly faceted like it had been cut by a jeweler.

17. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

Yes, but Buffy had a lot of other things going for it. VM doesn't have that much to offer a mainstream audience. The supporting cast was also a problem.

Maxim positions are generally arranged by the stars' representatives, in this case, most likely in an attempt by the network that supposedly doesn't do enough to promote its show, to do just that. If the problem was that the show wasn't sexy enough, it's gotta be worth a shot trying to convince the public that the star of the show is. Why else did we get Veronica with sexy new hair, topless shots from the back, and prancing around in her underwear this season?

Could be. ;) Like I said, I think she's quite charming, but she doesn't have what most people associate with the kind of sex appeal you'd need for a show like this to succeed, and her character was not aimed that sort of an audience. That would have made it a very different show, and who wants that?

There's a lot going on in 24, but it's rarely as convoluted as what we got on VM. I was never that interested in the mysteries, actually, and I thought both the season 1 and 2 resolutions were very poor by the shows own high standards. As is usually the case with most of my favorite shows, I watch primarily for the characters, not so much for the plot. I'm not sure where I would place VM on my all-time favorites list, but it would be pretty high.

18. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

This decade is all about instant satisfaction. If a show doesn't win right out of the gate, networks assume people will never watch it. The best shows of the 90's took years to hit their strides, and it's sad we don't see that happening as often these days.

Now that sounds pretty interesting. I'll have to check that out. I watched last year's season but haven't seen a single thing on the network since.

Is that what Veronica Mars was about? I love detective series! Dang it. I knew nothing of the show except for the title, and certainly didn't expect it would be about a detective or that she was even at a "hip" age. They should have titled it Teenage Tomboy Detective or something. :sweat:

Well, technically it's not your thread. It belongs to Toon Zone. The fact that you started the thread is irrelevant. Also if you're going to make a post, consider contributing a bit more to the conversation other than "I'm so glad to see everybody noticing something I did." You created this thread to discuss something, after all.

19. Hanshotfirst1138

Female geeks? I've never heard of such a thing :D.

I disagree. I guess that that's all that I will say :D :D.

There a certain subtle sultriness that she has I think.

What'd I miss this season? Geez. Well, they certainly tried to grab viewers :sad:. Kind of sad that that's what it takes.

20. mr.happy

mr.happy Active Member

I'm not sure that would have completely captured the essence of the show, but it did start out with her being more Chloe Sullivan (urrgh) than Buffy Summers. That didn't really sound like a selling point, did it?

If you haven't seen the show, I would urge you to check out the first season DVD. It's a terrific mystery show with some of the most well written, authentically sharp dialog ever on TV, far more so than the immature Wheadonisms the cast of Buffy used to entrance much of its impressionable young audience with on a weekly basis. :p

Let's not argue about whose thread it is. I suggest we either throw a stick and see who it runs to, or threaten to tear it in half, thus revealing who truly loves it more.