1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Upfront Week] NBC announces Fall '07 schedule (July 16 Update)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Burgundy Ranger, May 14, 2007.

1. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

"Journeyman" sounds like family-man ver. of Quantum Leap. I'm surprised by both a remake of the "Bionic Woman" and a spin-off(kinda of early) of "Heroes".
    Should be interesting.
    Sucks for "20 Good Years" and "Crossing Jordan", I liked the comedy and my mom is a "CJ" fan.

2. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I'd have to go with NBC's decision to keep dramas out of 8pm. Lighthearted shows tend to be good lead-ins to dramas, and it certainly doesn't work the other way around. (Imagine watching Lost, in a particularly hectic episode wherin some major cast member dies, and then seeing Scrubs follow it up. We're in no mood to laugh!)

Taxi wasn't always on Nick at Nite? That's ridiculous.

Seriously, though, that's an interesting story.

It is too early for a spin-off. Hopefully this budding franchise won't implode before it comes to a satisfying conclusion.

I'm not putting any faith in the Bionic Woman remake. Why not air a genuine superhero show instead of a person in civilian clothing having superhuman powers? Oh, right. Because audiences hate costumes.

We so need a The Question mystery series.

3. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

I saw nothing in the series summaries that puts this ony anywhere close to the OSI/government agent tack that the original had.

She gets the best of the old Austin & Summers worlds -- a bionic eye AND ear, as well as two legs and an arm.

It sucks having seen the original. Because it automatically puts the new one at a disadvantage.

4. SB20xx

SB20xx Oooooh!
    Staff Member Moderator Reporter

Leno joked about the Bionic Woman tonight: "This is the kind of revolutionary idea that can take NBC from a 4th place network... to a 5th place network!"

5. Duke

Duke Truer Words Were Never Spoken

Same here (well, I'm not a 20GY fan, but still), as my mom really liked Crossing Jordan.

Nice to see 30 Rock move up an hour. Now it won't have to be on at the same time as CSI, which means I'll actually be able to watch on the main family TV.

Also, I've really gotten into Las Vegas this past season, watching it with my mom (she loves the show) with no new Stargate/BSG on. Here's hoping the show will continue to be good when Tom Selleck arrives, though I do wonder if they're going to go get Sam in the season premiere, or wait until the season finale.

I only saw 1 vs. 100 a couple times, but I thought it was actually pretty cool and more fun to watch than Deal or No Deal.

6. AhmedtheHead

AhmedtheHead Member

I can't believe they pulled TGYH. Seriously, are networks trying to get rid of improv comedy?

The real best news of this schedule is that Scrubs is finally in the fall where it should have been before. What stinks is that they didn't move it earlier, meaning that it still would have to compete against CSI or Grey's Anatomy.

7. Draft

Draft Active Member

I wish NBC has picked up the area 57 pilot starring one of my favorite actors, Paul Reubens(premise sounded good, read in ew)

Boo also for not renewing studio 60, but no suprise there.., likewise with Thank God you're here

Wednesday seems to be the day everybody needs new shows(6 new shows of the 3 major nets). Bionic Woman will probably move before season's over.

Criminal Intent Wednesdays at 10PM by November(Goodbye Life)

Friday Night Lights will get cancelled

w00t for Scrubs, and swap of 30rock and ofice, proving that they have faith in 30rock(But in paticular Office for shoving it in the battle with Grey's and CSI)

Lipstick Jungle will fail

There ya go

8. RoseBusch

RoseBusch Member

Scrube would've been a good fit to ABC, Touchstone TV produces it, ABC and Touchstone are both part of Disney. So........why not?

Scrubs on ABC........yeah. I could see it now...

{Fantizises Scrubs on ABC............the logo on the bottom, ah.... a man can dream, a man can dream).

9. tucsoncoyote

tucsoncoyote Time to get my "Game face" on

The Bionic Bomb....

Gee haven't they done this before? And on ABC no less!

Maybe moving Scrubs to ABC might be a fair trade..

But seriously The Bionic Woman?

Okay I grew up with the original Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman (Instead of a car Accident, the ABC Version has Jaime Summers (Lindsay Wagner) getting severely injured in a parachuting accident. But this is sort of like a new twist on the Cyborg mythos...

Believe me, if this show succeeds I'll be in shock.. if it flops, I won't be surprised.. Hello, it's been done before NBC!!! so why now some 30 years later do it again?

(See this proves that there's no new creativity.. just a rehash of old ideas with just a few new twists).

Sure this Version has Jaime as a Mom (Heck The ABC Version had Jaime as a Teacher/Pro-Am Tennis Player).

So if this succeeds, I think I'll need a bionic heart.. seriously..

:coyote:

10. EinBebop

EinBebop Data Dog

Taking an old story and making it new again may not require a lot of creativity, but that doesn't mean it's not enjoyable to watch.

A modern take on the Bionic Woman could be fun; that show is definitely on my list. The IT crowd also sounds like fun.

I feel a little wary about Journeyman; it could be interesting, but only if they find the right tone for the show, and the right actor.

11. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

As I make my way through these threads, I am thrilled to see Friday Night Lights return. I don't know that Friday is the right slot for a show trying to find its audience though. Is Las Vegas really that good of a lead-in? Additionally, I'm happy Earl and 30 Rock will be back. The cancelled list for NBC read my personal TV guide though. I have seven shows on it!

20 Good Years and Kidnapped have been gone a really long time, and Andy Barker and Raines only got their shorter mid-season runs which disappoints. Both could have been really good. Studio 60 didn't get out of the blocks very well for what should have been one of the big shows of the season. I guess it's return later this month will be it. :sad: I have to wonder what kind of standards are put on the non-scripted shows because I really enjoyed Identity and Thank God You're Here. Not even summer for those guys?

Journeyman is about the only show with any real interest for me and You've gotta be a dang good show for me to try and cram you in on Mondays where I already have three shows plus wrestling on top of new CBS and FOX shows I find more interesting. This show is gonna have to look terrific and then if it does, wow me with the pilot (which Heroes wasn't able to do). The IT Crowd might be okay too. I'm behind by a couple of episodes and the season finale is tomorrow, but I'm just upset to see Kim Raver of 24 on another new show.

12. RoseBusch

RoseBusch Member

No Apprentice?

13. Funkatron

Funkatron Active Member

They're doing this cause they've already learned from Heroes that civilian + powers + drama = profit!

14. Mikintosh

Mikintosh Active Member

Oh, Identity sucked. I'm just glad they kept 1 vs. 100, because it shows that they don't think Deal or No Deal is the apex of what passes for a game show nowadays...because that'd be sad.

I saw the trailer for the Bionic Woman, and about 80% of it was actually alright, though the "original" Bionic Woman section looked pretty iffy. Nice fights, though.

And the Heroes Origins isn't a spin-off; it's a way of increasing the episode order without having to sign a new contract with all the regulars for a few more episodes. I guess with the Office they don't have the same problem.

15. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I'm thinking if they can't get the regulars it isn't because they'd have to pay more money to them; six episodes tacked onto an already full 22-episode season would mean the actors will totally lose their summer break, forcing them to film year-round. Nobody wants that.

16. Tommy Lawson

Tommy Lawson Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Your wish for a better time slot has been granted, and you can thank Ben Silverman for it, according to articles at Broadcasting & Cable and Mediaweek. It appears he's using common sense changing the fall lineup like this, especially considering the premiere ratings for The Singing Bee , originally supposed to be moved to Fridays at 8:00 pm, but now obviously will be staying right where it is this fall. Deal or No Deal, Friday Night Lights, and Las Vegas definitely seem like they are now in a logical order on Friday nights. Here are the revised days with changes in bold.

Monday
    8:00 p.m. Chuck
    9:00 p.m. Heroes
    10:00 p.m. Journeyman

Tuesday
    8:00 p.m. The Biggest Loser (now 90 min. long)
    9:30 p.m. The Singing Bee
    10:00 p.m. Law & Order: SVU

Friday
    8:00 p.m. Deal or No Deal (1 vs. 100 goes on hiatus)
    9:00 p.m. Friday Night Lights
    10:00 p.m. Las Vegas

17. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow! Thanks for the update there Tommy Lawson! The 9:00 slot for Friday Night Lights will definately work better for it, but it still has to contend with the fact that it's on Fridays now. We'll see what happens. It did average to "eh" numbers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and saw a slight spike for it's one night only Monday at 10:00 slot after Heroes. But having it on Friday will be an interesting experiment to see if it loses, stays, or gains ratings.

18. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm exicted about the move up for the generally family-friendly Friday Night Lights. I want to see NBC run it in the summer to catch those who thought it seemed interesting, but didn't have time. They should be building the hype now.

The other concern I have is that while he made this good schedule change, I believe Silverman replaced the exec who really wanted to give the families of Dillion, Texas another chance. I'm afraid that his patience may wear out quicker if it doesn't immediately perform to his expectations.

19. PowerZord

PowerZord It's time to change.

I'm glad Law & Order SVU is still coming back and CI. but I don't like the time for Law & Order... I mean Tuesdays at 10:00P.M.. I would've like it a bit earlier. Hope this season is good, CI doesnt look that Impresive, but I'll still watch

20. FireStarterLE

FireStarterLE You don't want to see us mad

Depending on if 24 can return to it's pre season 6 form, Heroes may or may not be in a good spot for me.

If 24 turns out to be no better than season 6, then I'll love Heroes taking my attention from 24. But if they can somehow repent, I'll have to choose which one to watch and usually it's back and forth and I miss parts of both