1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

[Upfront Week] CBS announces Fall '07 schedule

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by jlaking, May 16, 2007.

1. cartoonboy

cartoonboy Let's Rock!

This is the 2nd show that I can recall being seriously committed to for a season and then having it cancelled. The first was Surface and now Jericho.

Sure, both finale's give you the impression that all is lost, but for the love of sitting down @ 8pm to have some dinner and relax after a long day, give me something I can watch that is entertaining, has a good following and has built its story from Sept. <sorry for the run on>

Jericho will be one less show that the wife & I watch together.
    Prison Break, 24, Heroes, Smallville, CSI, Criminal Minds & Desperate Housewives is all that is left.

You nearly have to wait and see a show get into it 2nd season before jumping on. If I knew it was gonna be scratched after 1 season, I probably would not have watched the show. But atleast I learned to be prepared for worst case scenarios!

2. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

Well the fine folks at CBS renewed everything I watch on their fine network. How nice of them. :) I'll be very happy to return How I Met Your Mother, Criminal Minds and Survivor to my viewing schedule.

I can see myself interested in The Big Bang Theory and with the HIMYM lead-in I'll be there at least the first week. Viva Laughlin really intrigues me and I can fit in an early Sunday slot provided the football game isn't holding my interest. I'll have to see some promos for this vampire show and Drew Carey will have my support in the summer.

3. Ryan227

Ryan227 Member

Eight year olds on a reality show without their parents? Isn't that like child abuse or something? :shrug: I know they won't be like forcing the kids to stay there but at 8 or 9 I think I probably would have been crying for my mommy every night :p I hate to say though, it sounds kind of interesting.

Well, I'm unbelievebly happy about Without a Trace moving back to Thursday! I always loved it but on Sundays I just didn't feel like watching it, Thursday is where it belongs.

4. Bones Justice

Bones Justice Bring on the noise!

(Jericho)

I don't feel like watching this show was a waste of time. It had some great moments, both dramatic and action ones. I'm really unhappy that it will not be back for another season but I enjoyed the ride, especially the second half of the season when things really got rolling. I don't feel like this show was a waste of time to watch, unlike some of the other shows I've been watching this past season (especially Smallville, and to some extent, Lost).

I think a lot of folks are feeling like us regarding serial shows, though. That's probably why ABC recently announced a three-year committment to Lost (though I am curious what ABC would do if ratings totally tanked next year). I'd almost expect any other highly-serialized shows to offer some kind of upfront committment in the future if they expect to have any kind of following. Too many fans have been burned by cancellations in the past. To be honest, that's why I never even tried to watch shows like The Nine. I've been tempted to quit watching Lost several times if it weren't for the fact that I have already watched for three years. It's kind of like putting down a large novel half-way through; most times, you will slog on until the end because you've already invested a lot of time and you know there is an end; plus, maybe you're still holding out that it will be worth it by the end.

5. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

But what does it say when television networks premiere a show, promising that it will have an ending--and soon--such as Day Break, yet nobody tunes in to watch it anyway?

Is this an indication that audiences want to feel confident that their hopes won't be dashed by cancellation, or that audiences are just getting sick of new serialized dramas when they're already watching so many?

6. Bones Justice

That's a good point. I'm not sure of the answer. Though in the case of Day Break, I didn't watch it because I didn't care for the premise. The question might even apply to serialized sitcoms like The Knights of Prosperity.

A show has to sound interesting enough to me to try it in the first place; for example, Jericho's post-apocalyptic setting was interesting enough for me to try it and the story was compelling enough to stay with it until it really got interesting. Likewise, Lost's previews with the plane breaking up looked interesting enough to start watching even though the show has turned out to be much different than what I originally expected. On the other hand, I have never watched Day Break, Desperate Housewives, Drive, etc. because
    I am not interested in the premise.

I can't say for shows like Day Break or The Nine but Jericho's cancellation came at a time when they could probably wrap things up with a two-hour movie. I hope that's what CBS's recent comments about exploring their options in regards to Jericho are referring to.

In these days when you can buy a TiVo ($99 USA), DVD recorder ($70 USA), or even VCR ($25 USA), I think we're a long way off from having too many good shows, serialized or not. Right now, I'm watching multiple serials without any trouble despite a heavy real-world schedule thanks to a TiVo (24, Lost, Jericho, The Riches, etc., even re-runs of Star Trek Voyager since I never saw it the first time around); this doesn't even count the other stuff that I watch, like sports. Even before I got a TiVo, I used to do much the same thing with a couple of VCR's.

Kind of off-topic, but you mentioned that they promised a quick ending for Day Break. So did it? Or did it even make it through one season?

7. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

A tv-movie or mini-series could be the best of both worlds at this point; They don't spend as much money but they also wrap up the story. The problem is, does the network really want to do this to appease the viewers when it seemed like the viewers were already starting to break from the show? It's a risk since right now nobody knows if the viewers would return to watch the ending or if they've burned that bridge.

It was my understanding that the 13 episodes of Day Break were one full story with a beginning, middle and end. Possible future seasons would feature different time loops. The show was pulled from the air due to low ratings, but all 13 episodes have been made. Frankly the real mystery of the show is why ABC decided to yank it since they've already lost their money.

8. Bones Justice

It seems like there is enough of an audience that they would have a built-in fanbase; or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part. But they could hype it up a lot and even re-run episodes during the off-season leading up to a TV-movie or mini-series conclusion. I don't see why it couldn't do just about as well as most other TV-movies.

Another thing that serialized shows should learn from 24 (season one) is that you have to give viewers a chance to get into it. Not only did they run some back-to-back episodes early on, but they also repeated episodes during the same week on FX. There were a couple of times in season one that I missed an episode of 24 but I knew that I could still catch it a few days later on FX. That helped me stay with the show but if I had missed too many than I probably would have dropped out.

It seems like nowadays that once a show's cancelled, it's gone completely. A lot of shows used to get re-runs even after they were cancelled but not anymore. I guess it doesn't make sense to re-run an unfinished serial but if Day Break did a complete story, why wouldn't they re-run it? But from the looks of the previews, the only thing that would interest me is why he was stuck in a loop. So I didn't watch.

Anyways, I still think serialized shows would benefit from advertising closure. I think that at least the shows with the one-season arcs could take advantage by saying that the current story definitely has an ending. I don't know how you could do it for a larger story-arc like Lost or Jericho, though. What happens if the ratings tank for Lost next year? Would they still finish the whole three years?

Right now, I'm down to watching just a few long-term serials: Lost, The 4400, and The Riches. I'm not sure if 24, Heroes, and Star Trek Voyager count or not but I'm still watching those. Jericho and Stargate SG-1 are cancelled. Whether or not Smallville counts, I can't bring myself to waste time watching it anymore.

It will be interesting to see how many other multi-season-arc serials are made in the future.