1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Upfront Week] ABC announces Fall '07 schedule

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by Burgundy Ranger, May 15, 2007.

1. Burgundy Ranger

Burgundy Ranger Disney XD/Vortexx schedule guy

Here is ABC’s fall 2007 prime-time schedule with new shows in caps, followed by the new program descriptions:

Monday
    8:00 p.m. Dancing With the Stars
    9:30 p.m. SAM I AM
    10:00 p.m. The Bachelor (new time)

(midseason: Cashmere Mafia, October Road and Notes From the Underbelly join the Monday lineup once Dancing and Bachelor conclude their Fall seasons)

Tuesday
    8:00 p.m. CAVEMEN
    8:30 p.m. CARPOOLERS
    9:00 p.m. Dancing With the Stars Results Show

10:00 p.m. Boston Legal

Wednesday
    8:00 p.m. PUSHING DAISIES
    9:00 p.m. PRIVATE PRACTICE
    10:00 p.m. DIRTY SEXY MONEY

Thursday
    8:00 p.m. Ugly Betty
    9:00 p.m. Grey’s Anatomy
    10:00 p.m. BIG SHOTS

Friday
    8:00 p.m. Men in Trees (new day and time)
    9:00 p.m. WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB
    10:00 p.m. 20/20

Saturday
    8:00 p.m. Saturday Night College Football

Sunday
    7:00 p.m. America’s Funniest Home Videos
    8:00 p.m. Extreme Makeover: Home Edition
    9:00 p.m. Desperate Housewives
    10:00 p.m. Brothers & Sisters

----------

New Program Descriptions

Dramas

BIG SHOTS
    Four successful male friends at the top of their game support each other through life’s surprising twists and turns. The cast includes Michael Vartan (Alias), Dylan McDermott (The Practice), Christopher Titus (Titus) and Joshua Malina (The West Wing).

DIRTY SEXY MONKEY
    A privileged Kennedy-like family, including a Presidential candidate, find themselves in constant hot water. But the one saving grace is a lawyer named Nick (Peter Krause) who takes on the daunting task of keep the family called Darling clean. The ensemble cast includes Krause, William Baldwin, Jill Clayburgh, Glenn Fitzgerald, Seth Gabel, Donald Sutherland and Natalie Zea.

WOMEN’S MURDER CLUB
    Based on the best-selling novel from James Patterson, four working women in San Francisco -- a detective, a district attorney, a medical examiner and a reporter -- use their talents and expertise to solve murder cases. Angie Harmon (Law & Order), Laura Harris, Elizabeth L. Ho and Paula Newsome star.

PRIVATE PRACTICE
    In this spinoff from Grey’s Anatomy, Dr. Addison Forbes Montgomery (Kate Walsh) joins a chic private practice in Santa Monica, Calif., operated by her newly divorced medical school friends. The cast includes Paul Adelstein (Prison Break), Amy Brenneman (Judging Amy), Tim Daly (Wings), Merrin Dungey (The King of Queens), Taye Diggs (Day Break) and Chris Lowell (Veronica Mars).

PUSHING DAISIES
    In this blend of romance, procedural crime and fantasy form Barry Sonnenfeld, a young man has the ability to return someone dead briefly back to life with just a simple touch. So, to put his special ability to good use, he teams with a private investigator to crack murder cases by asking victims to name their killers. The cast includes Kristin Chenoweth, Anna Friel, Swoosie Kurtz, Chi McBride, Lee Pace and Jim Dale.

THE CASHMERE MAFIA (midseason)
    Described as Sex and the City mixed with The Devil Wears Prada, four Manhattan women bonded by their Ivy League educations and executive success support each other through all personal and professional problems. The ensemble class includes Lucy Liu, Frances O’Connor, Mirando Otto, Bonnie Somerville, Peter Hermann and Julian Ovenden.

ELI STONE (midseason)
    A successful lawyer (Jonny Lee Miller) at a top San Francisco law firm seeks a deeper meaning in life as a prophet after discovering an aneurysm in his brain. The cast includes Loretta Devine, Natasha Henstridge and former Alias star Victor Garber.

----------

Comedies

CARPOOLERS
    Four guys from very different backgrounds commiserate about their lives, loves, jobs and families in the carpool lane. The cast includes Fred Goss, former Crossing Jordan star Jerry O’Connell, Jerry Minor, Tim Peper, former Hope & Faith star Faith Ford and Allison Munn.

CAVEMEN
    Based on the popular Geico Insurance commercials, three modern and very different cavemen (Bill English, Nick Kroll and Dash Mihok) struggle to find their place in the world.

SAM, I AM
    Former Married With Children star Christina Applegate is Sam, a woman who wakes up from a coma after eight days with no memory of the past. Forced to start over, Sam begins to realize she was not exactly the most honest or loving person. Kevin Dunn, Jennifer Esposito, Melissa McCarthy, Tim Russ and 24’s Jean Smart co-star.

MISS/GUIDED (midseason)
    After a new and improved woman (Judy Greer) returns to her former high school as the guidance counselor, she quickly realizes that insecurities form the past are hard to keep hidden. Brooke Burns, Earl Billings, Kristoffer Polaha and Jonathan Sadowski co-star.

----------

Non-Scripted

OPRAH’S BIG GIVE
    Ten people will be challenged to take the money and resources they are given to help others and make a difference in their lives. The stakes will get higher each week, with one person ultimately being chosen to have his or her wildest dream come true.

Here's what Zap2It.com reports from the morning conference call by ABC Entertainment president Steve McPherson in regards to the 2008 plans for Lost:

2. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

ABC has the worst new lineup so far, but I guess it's not targeting me. Ever since Desperate Housewives they've been focusing on thirtysomething women viewers. I can't believe "Notes" is back.

I'm not surprised by the return of "October Road" as it is another "drama in a quaint, quiet one-season-themed area," and those always get an audience (though I am not among them). See: Everwood, One Tree Hill, Summerland.

3. audiecugi

audiecugi I'd like to test that theory!

Why are they waiting utill Feb. '08 for Lost to start up again?

4. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

Hold up. I thought Ugly Betty was on NBC.

Sam, I Am sounds interesting. Then again, so did Commander In Chief. It's up against Heroes and, if it passes the mid-season chopping block, 24, but those concentrate on a different demographic so it might do all right as long as people like it.

It's a shorter, 16-episode season. They're avoiding the gaps caused by in-season breaks just like they did this year, except since there are six less episodes, they're not going to air any in the fall.

Y'know, I really wouldn't mind a Saturday morning slot for the show. I haven't had a good reason to wake up that early on a Saturday since Kids WB canceled Batman Beyond and MIB. ^_^ Besides, I have tons of work to do on weeknights.

5. audiecugi

audiecugi I'd like to test that theory!

So they're avoiding gaps by creating one huge freaking gap? And six less episodes on top of that? By the time this show returns in '08 everyone will have forgotten what has happened previously. If they even care at that point.

6. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

They lost me on the "Based on the popular Geico Insurance commercials" line. When advertising icons become characters on television shows (Baby Bob, anyone?), that's an instant spike in the crapometer.

I'll echo the thoughts of everybody else. Out of the two lineups revealed so far, ABC's is the worst. Here I am thinking that Lifetime was "television for women," and here is ABC proving that to be false with their lineup.

Early prediction: every new show but Private Practice and Big Shots will be gone by this time next year.

The gap's not going to be that big. Networks overseas do this sort of thing every year, airing an entire season of a show in one fell swoop (see BBC One's Doctor Who). Even American channels are doing that (see FX's 10 PM Tuesday shows and shows on HBO and Showtime). USA splits their shows like Monk and Psych in a calendar year while airing shows like The 4400 in one full season.

I think what ABC is doing with Lost is something that the series kind of needed. Instead of airing a cycle of episodes followed by a huge gap then another cycle, they're airing an entire season of new episodes in a row. Lost will end in three years anyway, and by the time the new season ends, the series will cycle in syndication anyway. That's ABC's way of solving that problem. NBC's doing Heroes: Origins to prevent similar gaps for Heroes from happening.

7. Temple Fugate

Temple Fugate Active Member

I think ABC has decided to just try keeping the fanbase that Lost has instead of trying to get more viewers. The viewers they've got were very unhappy with the erratic scheduling of seasons one and two. It's brand new one week, then it drops off the schedule for three weeks, then it comes back for just one or two more episodes before reruns show up again. Seriously, if you've been watching this year, you've seen how awesome it is to have a brand new episode every single week. 24 does the same thing and both shows are better off for it.

As for the shorter season, the producers have implied they'd prefer two full seasons instead of three smaller ones, but ABC is too afraid of letting Lost go just yet, so they want to milk one more year out of their ratings. This not many people are happy with.

I have three letters for ya: DVD. Fans of the show will remember what's gone before, and even if they don't, ABC'll probably have a few more of their patented clip shows ready to go.

8. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

Wait... Traveler's NOT coming back? Did the first episode really do that badly? They'd better have a proper wrap-up or I'm going to be really angry.

9. ShadowGUN

ShadowGUN YES!YES!YES!

I cannot believe that ABC greenlighted this. I'll be shock if this turn out to be a hit.

10. Jeff Harris

Jeff Harris Creator/Webmaster, TXB

I don't think Traveller "officially" debuted yet. They called a premiere a "sneak preview," though it was clearly a premiere. I think it'll end up being a limited summer series and, hopefully, the ratings will be great enough to merit another summer run next year.

11. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Why on Earth are they cancelling a show they've only had a sneak peek for? Will Traveler looks to be the best show on ABC this summer, though I wouldn't be surprised to see them show Kyle XY season 2 as well, but they're already cancelling it before its official premiere? I think that may have been a mis-announcement.

ABC doesn't have anything going for them with this new schedule outside of Lost. I wouldn't be surprised to see NBC leap back to that #2 spot.

12. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

13. The Clown Prince

The Clown Prince My God carries a big Hammer
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, Football Wives didn't get picked up! :sad: That was one of the pilot shows I was actually interested in. I believe Bryan Singer had directed it. Interesting choices that ABC did go with. :rolleyes2:

The Clown Prince

14. Tobias

Tobias Who you gonna call?

The Geico Cavemen will only be funny for, maybe 10 minutes at the most before the plot runs thin. It's just like Baby Bob, which wasn't funny beyond the commercials.

15. SirLemming

SirLemming a playa in a world of NPCs

As much of a train wreck as it's bound to be, there is simply no way I'm missing the premiere of Cavemen.

16. MDawg

MDawg Nerfariously planning

Wow. ABC has a horrible fall lineup. Just give them a box of bonbons and call it "TV for Broads" cause there's almost zero in the way of guy content, and what little there is stinks.

17. Mr. Manager

Mr. Manager Active Member

That's a terrible lineup. Knights of Prosperity doesn't live but they're showing a sitcom based on commercials. Really, the only stuff on there I'll watch is college football and maybe AFV now and then. Although I don't like admiting it, I'll probably end up watching the Cavemen pilot.

18. bigddan11

bigddan11 Justice must be served!

Okay, after looking at TV.com, where ABC confirmed that Knights of Prosperity and Nine were cancelled, I discovered that ABC didn't give information about any of the shows that are believed to be cancelled, so they might have summer runs or come into play at the mid-season point, though many of them are believed to be cancelled.

19. Peter Paltridge

Peter Paltridge Knows about rock people
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, ABC was the network that held the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" pilot, and I was curious how that would turn out. I'm a little annoyed they picked "Cavemen" over it.

And yes, I'll miss "Knights" too but that was a two-season concept at the most.

20. J. B. Warner

J. B. Warner Increasing my wordiness

Good to see "America's Funniest Home Videos" is still there. It's just about the only reason for me to watch TV anymore, and I constantly worry that ABC will can it one of these days. But I guess it's sort of become the network's staple at this point, sort of like what "The Simpsons" is to FOX.