1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Updated, Definitive, Unofficial, DC Animated Universe Timeline (MAJOR SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The DC Comics Animation Forum' started by Fone Bone, Aug 25, 2006.

1. BCVM22

BCVM22 Active Member

And there's no chance that most of these could be unintentional/easter eggs or homages? For example, the Herald-A Kid's Game dimension thing couldn't just be a random stylistic similarity? Kid Flash's costume was created in the 1960's - that the same costume would be animated the same way by two different crews isn't surprising, because they're both working from the same original design. It's almost akin to stating that B:TAS and The Batman share continuity because they both wear similar costumes. Plus, Batman's referral to a Titans team in the Static Shock episode was a throwaway; the episode was written by Paul Dini, who has no involvement with Teen Titans, and in addition, the episode was written before or very shortly after TT first went into development, I believe. You can't go by that alone. And as for the S:TAS DVD bit, I'll take your word for it, but remember that things like that are done chiefly by Warner Home Video, who might not have the correct materials to work with, and are not necessarily worked on by the creative staff of either show. If you could expound upon it a bit, perhaps?

It seems to me that the argument for TT being in continuity is based primarily on a multitude of background appearances and the like that are as open to interpretation as the issue itself. Certainly you can at least understand why most believe that TT is in a universe all its own?

• Like Like x 1
  2. theRedDeath

theRedDeath Active Member

I'm not arguing that that proves anything. Just that it could mean something, it allows continuity links, and it's not fair to the fans that do believe that to just dismiss it like it, and by proxy those fan's feelings, mean nothing.

I believe it was Derrick Wyatt who went on record saying that TT does fit into continuity, and whether or not it is or isn't is up to each individual fan. Which i'm totally fine with. I've made my choice, and other fans can make theirs. So that's not the problem here. And I certainly don't want to turn the topic into a "TT in continuity" debate.

It's just, particularly for something claiming to be "difinitive", our opinions and views deserve just as much coverage as anything else i'd think.

Certainly just as much as "Gotham Girls" at any rate.

---

• Like Like x 1
  3. Captain Clown

Captain Clown Member

It just seemed a bit odd to me to omit that but have the big bang... technically Batman and GL didn't really see the real big bang anyway, due to that timeline being erased... uh, right?

Oh, and do you want to give Batman's home videos from Shadow of the Hawk a shot or is that overkill?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arsenal

Arsenal Magneto was right

Bravo Fone Bone. You done good. Any minor problems a person may have with the timeline are splinters in the small toe of a colossus.

5. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Okay, delurking because I REALLY want to address this. I REALLY wanted to include Teen Titans. So much so that I started a poll on whether or not it should be included in the timeline. By a two-to-one margin Teen Titans and DCAU fans voted to keep it seperate. I'd be lying if I said the poll was the sole barometer for the reason I ultimately didn't include it (I was also under the impression that Scott Menville would be the one voicing Robin on The Batman) but it wasn't because I was lazy or because I don't like Teen Titans. If someone had offered me definitive proof and not just speculation I would have included it in a heartbeat. The timeline only deals with DCAU facts and not speculation.

This is reasonable. Any idea where I can see it?
    Right, but WE did.;)
    Already included it. It's briefly touched upon in the part where I mention Carter Hall began stalking Shayera.

Why not? :) I used the spell-check which is something I rarely do but I am assuming I spelled some of the names wrong.

6. James

James Administrator
    Staff Member Moderator

You mean, sharp pieces of wood or shards of metal that could actually carry a life threatening disease that in turn could destroy the entire body, crashing down destroying all that lies below the mighty colossis in it's wake? How heartless of you Arsenal. (Seriously, I love the analogy - great image).

Yes, it looks like it's been a real tough piece of work to formulate and I'm glad you are getting the kudos you deserve FB. Good job.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

It's really difficult to pinpoint an exact time for the clips Batman reviewed. The one where Shayera and Superman fight the Adversary could have taken place at any time in the Justice League era, from after "Secret Origins" to before "Starcrossed." The Elongated Man-Shayera battle against the Khunds, as well. It takes place in the span of months between "Wake the Dead" and "Shadow of the Hawk". But as evidenced by J'onn Jonzz's observation of Shayera's lack of leadership, we could narrow it between "Hunter's Moon" and "Shadow of the Hawk." One could base it on her white or tan costume, but due to animation errors or what not, she seems to go back and forth between colors.

• Like Like x 1
  8. DCAU#1Fan

DCAU#1Fan Member

I totally agree with theRedDeath.

Red, if you haven't already, please visit the link in my signature.

BTW, Where did you get that DCAU Timeline image from, RedDeath?

• Like Like x 1
  9. theRedDeath

theRedDeath Active Member

I made it

---

• Like Like x 1
  10. Christopher Glennon

Christopher Glennon Punch Drunk Flounder
    Staff Member Reporter

Let the records show that Fone Bone quoted Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Geek.

It goes..."Holiday Knights" (late December), "Mean Seasons" (spring), "Never Fear" (summer), "Mean Seasons" (summer), "Mean Seasons" (fall), "Mean Seasons" (back to December). Makes sense to me! Awesome job there!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BillA1

BillA1 UnSure

Well done, Fone Bone. That was a lot work and it was well put together. This is not meant to take anything away from anyone elses timeline. Just recognizing the work that went into those posts. Dude, you should be proud. :)

Bill :cool:

Will now go back to lurking.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Updated to include Batman: The Brave And The Bold's "Night Of The Batmen" and the Batman Beyond 75th Anniversary Short. I am inclined to ignore Batman and Harley Quinn but if anyone can give me a reasonable argument as to why something so uncharacteristically trashy fits into the otherwise G-rated franchise I'll listen.

Also, if any Mod could change the thread title from "Definative" to "Definitive", the bad speller in me would be much less embarrassed.

Cheryl Tiegs woulda caught that.

This is what happens when you have Bizarro spellcheck the timeline.

Mod Note: Double Post Merged

#32 Fone Bone, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
  13. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Consider it done.

14. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Thankee-sai.

15. wonderfly

wonderfly Shaking things up a bit
    Staff Member Administrator

Wish I had spotted this back in 2006. Just awesome.

I don't know if "uncharacteristically trashy" is a reason to deny entry to "Batman and Harley Quinn". The only thing that matters if is the continuity lines up. I mean, I think it's uncharacteristic for the Joker to be satisfied with just hitting Batman in the face with a pie at the climax of "Christmas with the Joker", but we consider that episode part of continuity. (Interestingly, "Christmas with the Joker" was the 2nd episode ever made).

And I don't know if "G-Rated franchise" is the right word when watching some scenes in "Mask of the Phantasm" and "Return of the Joker".

16. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

You are probably right. I might include it after all. But I want to watch it one more time before doing so. I think it's the first DCAU project that makes the franchise worse for existing. But that doesn't mean I should ignore it if b.t. says it's DCAU. It's up to him, not me.

I recently got high-speed internet so I'm probably going to track down The Adventures Of Batman And Robin: The Lost Episode on YouTube and add it along with The Dark Knight's First Night. Anyone know a good link for The Lost Episode?

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

@James Harvey without a doubt. He has it in 2 parts as mp4 files I think.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Fone Bone

Fone Bone Matt Zimmer

Thanks Yojimbo and James Harvey!

Included Batman and Harley Quinn, as well as The Dark Knight's First Knight, and The Adventures Of Batman And Robin: The Lost Episode. I discuss the reasoning behind The Lost Episode's placement in the BTAS portion of the run in my review below.

There has been some on-going discussion in another thread about whether or not Batman and Harley Quinn takes place before or after The Return Of The Joker flashback. Just going over the movie again and checking out the clues and discrepancies, tells me it is definitely before. No question or argument in my mind. Which is something I hate. I hate the idea of Harley forming real connections with Batman and Nightwing. That makes what she did with the Joker to Tim Drake unforgivable. It is no longer a case of her getting carried away in his madness, it's her betraying the Bat-Family. Which sucks.

Why am I certain it's before? Not only because Bruce probably would have told Barbara where Harley was if it was after (and she'd have seen the TV show from the tag), but Bruce never would have trusted her or recruited in a million years after what she did to Tim. Much less enjoyed the ride and her company or kissed her on the cheek at the end. That last thing would be outright appalling if this occurred second. I will interpret a DCAU where Harley Quinn is a total monster, over one where Batman is. And I hate that this movie made me have to choose that.

It also takes place after JLU, and not during. Booster is definitely listing some heroes on the League Roster that we've never heard of before, and it seems like Batman has been on the League long enough to have been granted some actual government legitimacy, to have the police and the army used as his back-up when he needs them. I kind of like the idea of a Batman who has officially been sanctioned by the law, and is no longer a vigilante, but it again, sort of conflicts with the ROTJ flashback, because if he had those resources for finding Poison Ivy and the Floronic Man, he should have had them for the manhunt for Tim Drake too. Which is another thing that bugs me about the movie.

Here is my review of The Lost Episode, where I discuss why I chose to place it in the Timeline where I did:

The Adventures Of Batman And Robin "The Lost Episode"

Finally saw this. These lost 16 minute wrap-around segments to the Sega CD videogame of the same name as the TV show sort of form a complete story, albeit one that seems a bit choppy without the videogame levels to tie things together. In the cartoon segments, Clayface poses as Rupert Thorne and hires Poison Ivy, Riddler, Harley Quinn, and Joker to kidnap Robin and take out Batman. The episode, as it were, is slightly more violent than the G rated cartoon, but it's a PG level violence at best (similar to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm).

How does it fit into my DCAU timeline?

Not well. But I can place it before Mudslide, even though this is supposed to be the The Adventures Of Batman and Robin era of the show. Why before and not after? Clayface meets a similar end in The Lost Episode, but as far as I can tell, Batman and Robin weren't fully clear on his fate here, when Batman saw him apparently die in Mudslide. That makes Clayface's story of reforming the way he did in TNBA's Growing Pains make more sense if Batman already knows he's been out of commission for awhile. What Batman DOESN'T know is that Clayface has also been out of Commission once before this.

I placed it after "What Is Reality?", even though Riddler was made catatonic in that episode, because he's already inexplicably fine before "Riddler's Reform" anyways, and because it is stated "What Is Reality?" was the first time Riddler saw Batman and Robin since his debut in "If You're So Smart, Why Aren't You Rich?"

We have never seen the BTAS era Riddler do so well in a fight against Batman as he does in this episode, but it is true the TNBA version seemed to have gained some acrobatic skills.

Is Tress MacNeill voicing Poison Ivy instead of Diane Pershing? It sounds that way to me. And I have to say if she is, she's dead on. Batman And Harley Quinn probably should have hired her instead of Paget Brewster.

Am I the only one who feels weird to see Batman using that giant machine gun? I think the writers of the videogame goofed there.

I think this needs a DVD release in the worst way. ****.

• Like Like x 1
    #38 Fone Bone, Sep 12, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  19. -batmat-

-batmat- Active Member

How is an episode of The Brave and The Bold considered part of the DCAU? I haven't watched the episode btw, but I don't mind spoilers

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Yes, have some.
    Staff Member Moderator

At the end of "Night of the Batmen!", a whole bunch of Batmen from parallel realities teleport to TB&TB's Gotham after they hear Batman got injured and sidelined on a mission. Previously, Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Captain Marvel and Aquaman spent the episode impersonating Batman in his place to deal with the surge in crime. Batman makes himself a makeshift suit that let's him be mobile and he agrees just this one they can all patrol his city together. The TNBA Batman and Batman (Beyond) are among the Batmen.