1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Upcoming "Spider-Man" Feature Film Pre-Release Discussion, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Marvel Live-Action Movies and Television' started by The Penguin, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

So where were we? Sam Raimi is out and (500) Days of Summer director Marc Webb is in. The fourth Spider-Man film will now be a reboot/restart, returning Peter Parker to high school.

SuperHeroHype.com: Sony Rebooting Spider-Man in 2012!

Names that have been batted about for Peter since that announcement (either via rumor or member speculation) include Twilight's Robert Pattinson, Summer's Joseph-Gordon Levitt and Zac Efron. Below the discussion continues...

Part 2
    Part 1

2. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

As long as it isn't a musical, I don't see how Efron coul wreck it.

3. Pepperidge

Pepperidge Active Member

I find it hilarious that after the reboot was announced, that was almost literally the first thing people speculated and panicked about.

4. Rho

Rho 12 - 6 cloud?

Because there are people who will just completely thumbs-down something because it has someone from Disney Channel in it.

5. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Disney's marketed their child stars so much that people automatically blanche when these stars attempt to break into non-Disney fare, assuming the works they're in will be ruined FOREVER.

That's frankly ridiculous. Its the script and directing that determines whether a movie's good, not if an actor or actress was involved in Disney fare.

6. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

Case in point: Lindsay Lohan!

7. KCJ506

KCJ506 Active Member

I wouldn't be against it if this was 2003/2004. Back when she was still hot.

8. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

Yeah, her and Niki Cox would've made very good Mary Janes. The less acting the better.

9. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

That's different, she's not all right in the head. She has shown decent acting skill in the past (Mean Girls) so it's more or less the material's she's given rather than raw skill that's hindering her, along with, of course, her issues.

Shia Lebeouf is another Disney star who's shown quite a bit of skill too (although admittedly he hasn't really done an "artsy" film, in general he's done mostly crowd-pleasers).

Disney's stars may be saturated but that does not mean they lack talent. They may get swelled heads and such but that's not to say they're bad at acting. They wouldn't be in the shows/movies/music/whatever that made them famous at all if they lacked talent.

10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

To be fair, I don't think stuff like Battle of Shaker Heights and Guide To Recognizing Your Saints really count as crowd pleasers.

11. Spideyzilla

Spideyzilla Well-Known Member

If either of them are Spider-Man, (to quote Kevin O'Leary) I will sue Marvel and Disney into the Stone Age. That would be my nightmare.

12. RonDrakenfan17

RonDrakenfan17 Luffy fan

Hey, I'd rather have Zac than Rob UGH!

13. Silly McGooses

Silly McGooses Active Member

...why is anyone worried about these things possibly happening

14. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Personally, I want the discussion off of Disney starlets and back to what the movie could contain and what we all want the movie to contain.

How do you think a Marc Webb-directed Spider-Man could turn out (besides more than two songs from the official soundtrack getting played instead of 50s/60s tunes that aren't on the soundtrack)? That's what we should be discussing.

15. TMC1982

TMC1982 Active Member

Before of course, Nikki Cox ruined herself with bad cosmetic surgery (if you've ever seen her on Ghost Whisperer you'll know what I'm talking about)!:anime:

How Many Villains Does it Take to Ruin a Franchise

16. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

17. DisneyBoy

DisneyBoy Searchin' My Soul

From the Cracked Article:

Just The Facts
    1 - The most recent Spider-Man movie grossed nearly $900 million worldwide, despite being awful.
    2 - Spider-Man 4 was set to have the same cast, and to be written by the guy who wrote the Wolverine movie.
    3 - It was set to feature no fewer than three villains, the fatal number for a superhero franchise

Geez really? If the guy who wrote Wolverine was going to handle Spidey 4, then we ALL dodged a serious bullet. That movie was utter garbage.

Not that I agree that three villains means it'll suck. It'll only suck if you try to make each of the villains a big deal in the narrative. As much as I don't love Batman & Robin, I didn't mind the way they used Bane. Okay, yes - it wasn't really a good treatment for the character. Few of the Batman villains can be teamed up because they're all such individuals. But I do believe that plucking a less well-loved villain from obscurity and working them into a small supporting role can work very well. Case in point - Juggernaut. Yes, he's hardly "less well-loved", but honestly, there just wouldn't be time in an X-Movie to spend fleshing out his entire relationship with Xavier without stealing attention away from cooler villains. So using him in a reduced capacity but still making him shine worked.

That being said, if Spidey 4 used say...Carnage and rewrote him to suit the needs of the picture, along with the Lizard and the Vulture...yes it would have been crowded, but it still could have worked. It's all about how you divide narrative focus.

And maybe it helps that I'm not in love with these characters, and therefore would have less of a problem boiling them down to a simple 8 minutes of screentime if necessary.

... arrived in 2004 and somehow became one of the best-reviewed films of all time, according to its 94 percent positive rating on RottenTomatoes.com. That means it scored exactly the same as No Country for Old Men and The Dark Knight, and was considered by critics to be a better film than There Will Be Blood, District 9 and Inglourious Basterds. Many film experts say this proves that judging a film's worth by its RT score is retarded.

Ha! :) More from Cracked on the 8 (Pointless) Laws all comic book movies must follow:

Though neither of them can even come close to touching Peter Parker in Spider-Man 2, who reveals his identity to:

a) Harry Osbourne
    b) Mary Jane Watson
    c) Dr. Octopus
    d) A subway train full of passengers

It was almost like that last season of Ellen where every episode was about her telling some new group of strangers that she's a lesbian. But remember: THAT WAS THE LAST SEASON OF ELLEN.

I never watched Ellen...but this is funny. I never realized just how many people found out his ID in the second film. LOL, how absurd!

18. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Huh? Why are they rebooting Spiderman if the first three films were successful? Won't this just confuse people?

19. The Penguin

The Penguin All Hail the King!
    Staff Member Moderator

20. Master Moron

Master Moron Active Member

Have I really not been around since January 11? All right, maybe I've finally conquered my addiction to the internet! Or maybe I'm just spending all my time on other sites like tvbythenumbers or imdb. Oh well, substituting one addiction for another is progress, isn't it? ISN'T IT?!?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.