Unsucessful/Scrappy/Poorly Recieved shows of CN that you actually liked

Discussion in 'The Cartoon Network/Boomerang Cartoon Forum' started by Getouttamylab!, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

As much as we love Cartoon Network, we all know it isn't perfect, as evidenced by the following, along with the reasons for (most of) the backlash...

Out Of Jimmy's Head (unnecessary live action on an animation based network)
    Dexter's Lab revival (charm of the original show lost, poor redesigns)
    My Gym Partner's A Monkey (unsure of the reasons no one really liked this show...)
    Johnny Test (not even a CN original but it's treated like one, bad animation and unlikable characters)
    The Problem Solverz (eye-explodingly bright colors, bizarre character designs)
    Secret Mountain Fort Awesome (grotesque character designs)

Is there anyone who liked any of these shows though, despite their poor reception?

2. adyniz

adyniz Surgeon of Death

I liked Johnny Test, watched its first 2 or 3 seasons (Hindi dub)...
    Regardless of the reception, I personally liked the characters and the animation didn't bother me that much. It was funny and stupid, not in a bad way.

3. veemonjosh

veemonjosh Get back, Jojo

It might also help the thread if you give some reasons about why you like the show

I did very much enjoy Whatever Happened to Robot Jones, though I could never figure out why most people never seemed to like it. I really liked the retro-futuristic atmosphere of that show's world, the Schoolhouse Rock-inspired character designs, and the general humor of the gags. Oh sure, there was the issue of the replacement voice for Robot Jones, but the rest of the show held up pretty well.

I also loved Robotomy, though I guess that's not so much a case of poor reception (those that have seen it generally seem to like it) but that Cartoon Network had no confidence in the show. It was just an over-the-top, in-your-face comedy with tons of absurd robot-on-robot violence and an even stranger setting. That isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I always love outlandish shows like that.

4. Splufay

Splufay Member

Problem Solverz. By far. It had such a surreal charm to it, that it really made it enjoyable to watch. I was happy that they put it on netflix so that I could finish up with the season 1 episodes I missed.

However they changed the format of the show in the second season and made the episodes more character-driven, instead of having the format of "introduce problem, characters attempts to solve problem, problem solved" which really, was half of the show's charm. Anyways, I digress.

Secret Mountain Fort Awesome was okay.

5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Active Member

The Dexter's Lab revival episodes were okay (but they had nothing on the original). I also watched Secret Mountain Fort Awesome once and I kind of liked it. I thought the grotesque characters worked because they were supposed to be monsters.

6. TenPoundHammer

TenPoundHammer Wanna be on Wheel of Fortune

I've only seen one episode of My Gym Partner's a Monkey, but I saw nothing off-putting with it. I guess I identified with Adam as far as the "fish out of water in school" setting. Also, my real last name is Peacock, so I very well could've been put into a school full of animals by mistake. :p

I also seem to be the only person who will defend Almost Naked Animals. Sure, I can see its flaws, and it's really not a great show, but I did get some enjoyment out of it.

Out of curiosity, how was Scaredy Squirrel received when it was on CN? I rather liked it.

7. Silverstar

Silverstar Ah, No.

I actually liked Secret Mountain Fort Awesome. Like many people, I found the character designs a little off-putting at first, but once I looked past that and started to get into the stories, I found myself amused by the simple buddy/roommate humor mixed with surreal absurdity. It's a pity viewers seemed to be immediately turned off by this show; it was actually quite funny.

If we're counting acquisitions, I was one of the few people who didn't hate Teletoon's remake of George of the Jungle. No, it didn't hold a candle to Jay Ward's original, but it worked as its' own thing, so I could enjoy it since I wasn't constantly comparing it to the original show.

8. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

I liked George of the Jungle (2007) too! However, it'll get a revival in 2014, which is not necessary actually. There are some shows that should really get a revival, but GOTJ isn't one of them. 26 episodes were enough for me.

9. Eggy

Eggy DA EGGY

Kids' WB and Cartoon Network are both owned by Time Warner.

10. CartoonFridays

CartoonFridays Promoted to detective.

I love the Dexter revival.

11. Red Arrow :D

Season 3-5 are made by Cookie Jar Entertainment, season 6 is made by DHX Media and 9 Story Entertainment.

12. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

I love the DL revival and some mid-2000s shows that weren't sucessful but pretty funny though: Squirrel Boy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey and The Life and Times of Juniper Lee. In terms of action, I like Generator Rex.

13. ILDC

ILDC Active Member

It made Camp Lazlo look mature?

14. WMania

WMania Check Out My Avatar Thread!

Okay.

George of the Jungle - I have the entire series on DVD. It wasn't the funniest show, but it was very watchable and at times funny. Characters were very likable mostly and it should've been aired a bit more.
    Dexter's Lab revival - I have most of the series on iTunes and in the middle of rewatching it. The later seasons seem a bit boring, but the show was still good.
    My Gym Partner's a Monkey - Just like Dexter's Lab, some episodes were a bit boring, but at least Dexter's Lab wasn't all that annoying or just "why am I watching this?!"
    Out of Jimmy's Head - Don't understand the hate at all. Some episodes were very silly and some characters and moments were idiotic, but the show was passable and I'd take it over the live action we have now.
    Squirrel Boy - Just like My Gym Partner's a Monkey, except this was very boring and some episodes were painful and boring to watch; kiddy. I have it on iTunes though just for memories sake.
    Johnny Test - First season was great. Second was decent. Third was meh. And after that it should've stopped, but CN shoved it down everyone's throats and renewed it for I think three more freaking seasons!

EDIT: Oh yeah! League of Super Evil was a'ight (need to rewatch that) and Garfield Show was great (not sure on reviews for that one).

15. Getouttamylab!

Getouttamylab! Truth-seekers wanted

I would have, but my computer was about to die...

I got around to watching the Problem Solverz just to see if it was as bad as everyone said. In the end, I actually wound up liking it almost as much as Cartoon Network's other shows. I draw stuff sometimes looks like it would appear on the show, and that probably helped.

Johnny Test...its earlier seasons were all right, but I can't really say the same for most of the later episodes...

16. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Robotomy is the top of my list besides of course Megas XLR. I thought Robotomy was quite clever and I would have liked to see more.

Problem Solverz and SMFA get a lot of flack but I also quite enjoyed them. Ugly as they may be they were funny IMO.

17. Red Arrow :D

Forgot to mention season 2 and 3 of Generator Rex! Some comedy filler eps were indeed a bit annoying, and the relationship between Holiday and Six and between Rex and Cesar was indeed horrible. But for the rest, the series was still kinda fun and better than most of the other shows. It still had some really good episodes in those seasons.

18. The ShopSoldier

The ShopSoldier DISGRACEULLY Beating People Up

I think the abundance of filler in a show that didn't really benefit from it like Generator Rex is the biggest flaw I can find in said series. Otherwise, I have nothing but respect for said show - it's the only MoA show I legitimately like, despite all that, if only because the genuine effort feels there when the filler is not blocking its path.

19. RandomMe

RandomMe Stave it off

How about this obscure European project called VBirds? I liked it. They had a show called VBirds: Perfect which I guess that it looked vaguely like an unfamiliar DDR clone.

20. MattBoo

MattBoo Holy Cannoli!

I don't know if it counts, but I'm a SUCKER for Robot Jones.