1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Pictures acquires DreamWorks Animation

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by sasq, Feb 20, 2016.

1. John Pannozzi

John Pannozzi Still Gritty after all these years

Yes, that's what I meant. Paramount and Fox were able to release all previous DWA at the time, so I'd imagine that the rights will revert to Universal very soon.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

2. sasq

sasq Active Member

That's strange, because when Fox re-released the DWA movies on DVD (as part of a collection named Funtastic) in my country, there were no pre-Fox movies (not even the first HTTYD).

This isn't Amazon Italy's fault, because they were the only one released, so why would Fox re-release these movies in the United States with similar packaging, but not elsewhere?

Maybe Universal already owns the international rights, but waits for the Fox deal to expire?

• Like Like x 1
  3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I saw a Shrek the Third DVD from Fox once.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

No, DreamWorks just had a distribution deal with Universal to release their movies to VHS/DVD and were/still is stationed on the Universal lot.

• Like Like x 2
  5. superkeegan9100

Well, NBCUniversal owns part of DreamWorks Pictures now because of their stake in Amblin Partners.

6. Nexonius

Correct and their movies are being distributed by Universal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

If it was released by Fox then I think the same would be the case for the DVD part.

8. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

According to sources, the budget of Captain Underpants, a movie that had its animation outsourced to Canada, was $38 million. That makes it the cheapest animated movie Dreamworks made since....possibly ever.
    Don't be surprised if more DWA films are done at a similar price and more work is outsourced. That can be pretty bad for the the American animation industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. BeanoMaster

BeanoMaster Active Member

If you count it, the cheapest DW film is Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, which cost $30 million. However, it was produced by Aardman and made in Britain.

If not, Captain Underpants is the cheapest DW film.

10. sasq

sasq Active Member

Yes but DreamWorks is a label, not a company.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Nexonius

I'm sure most people don't care, but today it's been officially one year since Comcast acquired DreamWorks Animation. After December 31 of this year all DreamWorks Animation films with the exception of the 20th Century Fox distributed films (that will take a bit longer) will be headed over to their now sister Universal Pictures, along with the DVD rights to their TV library.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/comcast-completes-dreamworks-animation-purchase-1201842240/

A day after the acquisition was complete, a new team was quickly assembled, with most that were there already having bigger positions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/nbcuniversal-unveils-new-dreamworks-annimation-922057

Of course, things changed in the coming months. Positions were restructured, people left, a new president was put in charge and a Katzenberg-less DreamWorks Animation is in full effect. That Universal Kids Productions Group thing?

http://deadline.com/2015/10/teri-weiss-universal-kids-productions-universal-pictures-1201562420/

Most of the people there either left after the DWA acquisition in late 2016 or went over to DWA.

Also, movies either in development or soon to be released were ultimately canceled, such as Larrikins, and The Croods 2. Sequels to The Boss Baby and Trolls were announced, How to Train Your Dragon 3 and Everest is still coming along, with the former coming in March 2019. The Wizards of Once and Spooky Jack ends up getting announced as movies in development later this year.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I still think of all the animated movies that DWA have announced over the years, a lot of which could possibly still be in development, but as far as we know could be cancelled. Me and My Shadow, Alma, Flawed Dogs, and most notorious of all, B.O.O. (Bureau of Otherworldly Operations), which was reportedly a movie that was mostly finished before being scrapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. sasq

sasq Active Member

How do you know this? I only knew that the deal would end in december....

14. Nexonius

Yeah, B.O.O. is the biggest blunder and Me and My Shadow became a different thing: Shadows I believe. Alma is from Rodrigo Blaas, who is actually working on Trollhunters as showrunner/Supervising Director, so that could still be in active development and Guillermo del Toro is the creator of the latter and is involved on the former too so anything's possible. .

http://www.thewrap.com/comcasts-dreamworks-animation-deal-everything-you-need-to-know/

Well before it gotten canceled, Larrikins was set to be released in February 2018 by Universal Pictures, as soon as the Fox deal has expired. Also, 2017 means the entirety of that year, since NBCU let the Fox/DWA deal run its course because it would've costed them a hell of a lot more to immediately do what Disney did with the Marvel/Paramount situation, along with their Netflix TV and movie deal. Keep in mind that 20th Century Fox still has the rights to distribute the post 2012 movies up to 2017 for the time being.

Add On

Also, with any acquisition comes firings. The firings comes around with 200 of DWA employees from the financial, consumer products, and promotions side (which Universal has done much, much more effectively):

http://deadline.com/2016/09/nbcuniversal-200-animation-job-layoffs-1201820305/

The animation layoffs (likely from Larrikins and The Croods 2):

http://www.animationmagazine.net/people/dreamworks-layoffs-hit-glendale-with-170-to-go/

Also Curious George got a new season produced by the usually dormat Universal Animation Studios.....which is actually part of the integrated DWA campus now from what I hear.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CoolEric158

CoolEric158 She rocks both ways.

After suddenly being cancelled, The Croods 2 is back in production, launching with a September 2020 release date. Never liked the first movie to begin with, but I'm happy the fans will get another adventure.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. superkeegan9100

And on the same year as the Trolls sequel...

17. Nexonius

Well, if this wasn't surprising I don't know what is. Maybe Larrikins could return along with those other movies in development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DeanBurrito25

DeanBurrito25 Well-Known Member

Was Croods really that outstanding of a movie that it warranted a sequel? Isn't the Netflix show enough?

I'd rather just see Me and My Shadow return. That looked cool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nexonius

Y'know, Trollhunters was optioned as a movie and then that turned into a series instead. Maybe that could happen.

20. superkeegan9100

Same thing with fellow DreamWorks/Netflix series Dinotrux, though that was based on a book.