1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Pictures acquires DreamWorks Animation

Discussion in 'The toonzone - General Animation Discussion' started by sasq, Feb 20, 2016.

1. sasq

sasq Active Member

Comcast is about to get more animated. The company's NBCUniversal division is acquiring the DreamWorks Animation studio for about $3.8 billion.
    On Thursday, Comcast (CMCSA) said shareholders in DreamWorks will receive $41 in cash per share of stock -- a roughly 50% premium from where the stock was trading before the merger talks were reported earlier this week.

Comcast said it expects the deal to pass regulatory muster and take effect by the end of the year.

Wall Street applauded the deal, sending the stock up as much as 24% on Thursday morning.

The deal is reminiscent -- albeit on a much smaller scale -- to Disney's 2006 acquisition of Pixar for $7.4 billion.

Both Comcast and DreamWorks are smaller than Disney and Pixar, respectively, but the ambitions are similar.

Comcast said DreamWorks "will become part of the Universal Filmed Entertainment Group, which includes Universal Pictures, Fandango, and NBCUniversal Brand Development."

NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke said "DreamWorks will help us grow our film, television, theme parks and consumer products businesses for years to come."

His mentions of the theme parks and products was important. While DreamWorks is best known for movies like "Shrek" and "Kung Fu Panda," much of the studio's value to Comcast is in the so-called long tail of amusement park integrations, merchandise, and other synergistic deals.

DreamWorks (DWA) CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg will give up his leadership position. But he will remain involved with DreamWorks' ownership interests in two digital ventures: Awesomeness TV and NOVA. His title will be chairman of DreamWorks New Media.

Katzenberg will also be a consultant to NBCUniversal, the company said.

Since the studio's first film, 1998's "Antz," DreamWorks Animation has brought in more than $5 billion at the North American box office, according to Rentrak (RENT).

The biggest blockbuster for the studio was "Shrek 2," which made $436 million in the U.S. in 2004.

Comcast declined to comment when it reported quarterly earnings on Wednesday. Evidently the company was putting the finishing touches on the deal.

The deal includes a $200 million reverse breakup fee that Comcast would have to pay DreamWorks if regulators don't approve the acquisition.

The Wall Street Journal first reported on the acquisition talks on Tuesday.

#1 sasq, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Eggy

Eggy Member

I think that they might renew it.

3. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I think they might go back to Paramount. Universal and Warner Bros will also be good choices, especially WB since the only original film they have lined up is Storks.

After the backlash the producers and animators gave them after their terrible marketing for How to Train Your Dragon 2 and Trolls?

• Like Like x 1
  4. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o New Member

Someone will. It really makes no difference who. The day no one is interested in doing it under whatever name is when it will matter.

WARNING: The OP changed the thread title and original post 2 months after starting the thread. No one should be allowed to do that. It makes all of the responses to the original thread topic irrelevant.

#4 o0Ampy0o, Feb 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  5. Dr.Pepper

Dr.Pepper Well-Known Member

I think that Warner Bros. would be a good option.

6. sasq

sasq Active Member

a buyout even more. cause they don't own a ''real'' animation division.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I think that Columbia Pictures would sound like a good idea for Dreamworks to work with, since they had worked with them in past movies and they could surely benefit by distributing animated movies.

8. sasq

sasq Active Member

Don't confuse dreamworks pictures with dreamworks animation. they are two different companies.

9. the greenman

the greenman Well-Known Member

I think FOX should stick with Dreamworks. Only other studio I can think of is Universal and they have enough success with Illumination's Despicable Me films. Most studios seem to be content with animation having a project by project basis, not dedicated in house stuff.

Sent from my LGMS323 using Tapatalk

10. Takao

Takao Fight the darkness all around

I don't think Sony Pictures Animation would like that.

11. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Then again this article states how Sony may want to considering their lack of movies and they see difficulty getting good results on their movies, and I for one do think that Sony would be a good partner for Dreamworks compared to the other distributers.

12. sasq

sasq Active Member

13. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

14. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think they'll just stick with Fox for now. It'll be good if they move to Universal, because they do an effective job promoting the Illumination films.

Not like they need one. There's nothing wrong with WAG's outsourcing animation model.

15. Gear3dGryph0n

Gear3dGryph0n Active Member

I think DWA is going to struggle financially for the next few years. Their upcoming slate doesn't look like it has the kind of energy they did in their early days. Most likely they'll be turning out moderately-performing films like Turbo, Home, and The Croods for a while to come. Another distribution partner is probably going to come easy to them, considering their standing within the industry, but most studios already have their own animation division. A complete takeover would probably be a better move for any prospective buyer.

Katzenberg's revenge mission to Disney is complete, for the most part. He proved that other studios can compete against Disney. However, the studio seems to be heavily reliant on its cash cow franchises and might be losing ground to Illumination in the second-banana-to-Disney spot.

16. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

• Like Like x 1
  17. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

18. lunadraws94

lunadraws94 Turning this forum's head since 2016!

I'm not so sure they even have enough targeted content in their library to launch DreamWorks Junior as a standalone channel. Maybe they'll steal some shows away from the competition.

19. Commander Beeper

Commander Beeper Watchdog

DreamWorks Animation can't sustain itself for much longer. It's kinda hard to believe that DreamWorks went from a motion picture distributor back in the 1990s and early 2000s - backed by Jeffrey Katzenberg, David Geffen, and the legendary Steven Spielberg - to an animation studio whose films are being distributed by another company.

20. RegularCapital

RegularCapital The Third Dimension

If such a channel would exist, it would be something similar to what Hoolee was in Africa, Dreamworks shows were the main output on that channel (apart from Turner's own shows). It would be Dreamworks + Third Party shows.

In retrospect, Dreamworks shouldn't of split, or Dreamworks Animation shouldn't of gone alone.