1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Yeah, I could agree with some things like the lack of a creative or a memorable logo as of now, along with the launch promos being a bit lackluster.

But. this is their first year (not to mention that they haven't even started yet). As I've stated before, DreamWorks Animation's partnership with Netflix is still very much in effect (meaning none of the new shows being made are coming anytime soon until that deal either expires or something) for a few more years as are rights to the Illumination movies are tangled between networks and once again Netflix. Reminder that they bought DWA for a good reason (a acquisition in the billions nonetheless) meaning that they want to do something eventually.

The person who runs the network is Australian and comes from ABC Kids (Australian Broadcasting Channel) and worked at the Canadian networks over at Corus so unlike the other channels, she and her team picks a good batch of acquisitions and not just made up of originals and 7 or 8 shows a day.

Sprout started out first and is successful for the most part, unlike the usual format of kidvid TV networks so that 15 hour block, while a bit too much for a supposed rebranding, won't scare off the longtime loyal parents and viewers (they have several shows in the works for the Sprout side so that's not going anywhere). Over the course of a year or so it'll decrease a few hours to increase more airtime for originals for older audiences.

Maybe sometime down the line NBCUniversal can start a standalone Sprout channel again like what Disney and Nick does in contrast to the soon to be block since they have a big library of preschool shows that they own via DreamWorks.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #101 Nexonius, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  2. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The parental outcry has definitely started on Sprout's Facebook, and will likely grow as the launch date grows closer - perhaps reaching its peak when the channel finally launches. A number of parents think that their current movie lineup along with Masha and the Bear are inappropriate and will likely be more upset when even less preschooler-focused programming is on the channel.

3. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

But...Masha and the Bear aired on several preschool networks overseas, including Treehouse TV (Canada), Cartoonito (UK) and Canal Panda (Portugal).

#103 superkeegan9100, Jul 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  4. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Gee, I didn't think The Emperor's New Groove and The Land Before Time were mentally scarring and inappropriate for children, somebody should tell Netflix to remove them from their kid's section.

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. superkeegan9100

I think he meant more along the lines of Cloudy and Ice Age (which premieres this August).

6. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

The Iron Giant is the only movie I've seen on Sprout that I think shouldn't be there. It was TV-Y and yet they left all the mild violence/language intact.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. superkeegan9100

Yeesh, you'd think they would know about the mild language...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

My mistake, those are clearly too intense for children, Ice Age is practically the Mad Max Fury Road of talking animal movies, a "Furry" Road if you will.

Seriously though, this is ridiculous even by the standards of which these things go. I can understand the concern post transition or close enough to it, for future series or movies being too intense for kids of that age, I mean it would be a little jarring to have something like Regular Show on what used to be Sprout so soon after it's transition. But before? Over things this minimal is mind boggling at the best of time.

I mostly agree, but even The Iron Giant is hardly anything get up and arms about, it's no more violent than your average Disney movie, especially for the era.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Masha and the Bear is made by Russians. Of course groups of furious American parents were going to complain about it.

No offence but you know how these people can be xD

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Nexonius

If this was, say, 2015 and Masha and the Bear were airing along with the movies (that's if The Iron Giant played uncut on the network complete with the word 'Hell' intact), the parents could've had a legitimate reason to complain about something like that. But now, we're less than a month away from the rebranding and the show is clearly going to be on in the evenings. It hasn't even been promoted at all.

11. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Proud Beneluxer

Masha and the Bear isn't any edgier than Dora the Explorer.

12. Nexonius

For those who don't have the channel, here's the two promos regarding the new network:

• Like Like x 1
  13. superkeegan9100

They just aired a new version of the promo with the launch date.

14. Nexonius

Same graphics and everything else?

15. superkeegan9100

Well, the footage was different in the beginning, but it's the same lame logo (which isn't even worthy to be the logo of a kids channel IMO).

16. Nexonius

Okay, I've seen the promo.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RandomMe

RandomMe An Imaginary Friend

Unfitting for a kids channel IMO, looks like the logo of an entertainment channel.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

(quoted for emphasis)

I wonder...

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. superkeegan9100

Don't give them ideas, @RandomMe...

20. Nexonius

The name of the network itself honestly sounds like it should be a division of family branded products and development. As a entertainment channel I wouldn't put it past them if they (including Sprout) started collaborating with NBC News, Today, Craftsy (their new crafts website they acquired), And Syfy Wire for geeky kid stuff.

That'd be an answer to Disney Channel, but with the majority of its programming acquisitions and a preschool block taking up most of the day.

• Agree Agree x 3