1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

No, I meant now, I kind of rushed my post. With PBS, HIT Entertainment, and Sesame Workshop still involved in the network yeah, it had a lot of shows. Since 2015, majority of those shows are gone with the exception of Caillou and The Berenstain Bears.

Most of the PBS replacements are unmemorable (Topsy and Tim for example) and I'm glad Sprout's investing in original shows.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #61 Nexonius, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

Oops, rushed to conclusions again. Yeah, ever since September 26, 2015 (ironically the 10th anniversary of the channel), the channel was never the same again.

3. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

Eh, at least we got the PBS Kids channel. It has a much better schedule than Sprout anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. superkeegan9100

Ironically, Sprout started out as a PBS Kids channel.

5. Nexonius

Yeah, but at the same time....divesting from Qubo and killing off KidsCo. was enough to say that they weren't serious about it.

But then with Minions being the behemoth that they are, Comcast's buyout of Sprout, Sprout's rebrand and focusing on more originals, and the buyout of DreamWorks Animation (that was the only other thing they needed to upstart the rebrand, since that's incredibly lucrative and a key to children entertainment Comcast wants to truly tap into).

And also, as I was recently digging up on some links in the past, I found this. It was already foreshadowed with what NBCU was planning to do.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/teri-weiss-universal-kids-productions-universal-pictures-1201562420/

Personally (I think I said my thoughts before I believe), this is the best thing NBCU can do for the network, as their other network (Esquire Network) is closing this year and the new network needs to be put in more homes. Without the 2015 rebrand, the originals, the acquisition of DWA, and Comcast buying out PBS and Co.'s shares, it would've been a completely dormat preschool network seemingly forgotten like their other networks not named USA, E!, Bravo, or Syfy.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. superkeegan9100

...I thought Oxygen was a pretty big network.

7. Nexonius

Ah, but they're rebranding this year focusing on murders and killed off the Lifetime/Bravo type shows. And I forgot to add Telemundo, since that network is popular.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. superkeegan9100

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Nexonius

I'm surprised there's no logo and we're only less than 3 months away from the premiere of the network.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. superkeegan9100

NBCUniversal probably didn't have time to make a logo, so maybe they'll see my logo and use it without giving me credit.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. Nexonius

Since there's discussion on what shows to acquire, what about the format? I feel that this new network is closer to Disney Channel since both companies have similar IPs and libraries.

Here's what could/should be used on the network:
    Universal Kids (as in Comcast), has a crapload of family friendly studios and companies they now own to show content. In mid 2018, I believe the new network's block of older programming should expand from 5PM to 6AM weekdays (1PM to 6AM on weekends) to expand more originals and acquired content on the network since though Sprout has more shows, it will undoubtedly decrease some of the acquisitions airtime on the network.

Cross-promotion:
    NBC and USA's Talk Stoop with Cat Greenleaf can talk to people from live shows promoting the channel, as it's the most successful NBCU entertainment network, similar to what the latter network did to promote Sprout's Nina's World.

Universal Parks and Resorts:

For years they had Universal Parks and Resorts being promoted over the years in their Universal made movies along with the Live Action Nickelodeon made shows in the past.

Sneak peaks at upcoming rides/attractions coming soon to the studio, along with interviews with people who create the rides and testing it/having fun. For instance, DreamWorks Theatre is being opened in 2018 at their Hollywood location.

Awesomeness TV:
    Cool things could come from the DreamWorksTV fold, like new short series like the new Too Loud!, clips of other cartoons on Netflix or coming soon to the channel.

DreamWorks Animation:
    Sneak peaks at the Glendale campus talking to artists, with the latter drawing characters from the shows and movies. Sneak peaks of announced shows as well.

Illumination Entertainment:
    Same as above, with the Minions being in the forefront promoting the network as the behemoths that they currently are.

I feel if done right with big shows powered by DreamWorks, good acquired content, and early/strong promotion, this channel can be in the same corner with XD, and eventually CN/Disney/Nick in a few years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. superkeegan9100

^ Minions sounds like the most likely.

• Creative Creative x 1
  13. jaylop97

jaylop97 L Twins

Minions and the yellow tradition of a company continues :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nexonius

To be technical, they stopped using the PBS logo around 2011/2012 when NBCUniversal became the programming manager of the network because of Comcast's 51 and later 100% buyout of the former and later , but PBS still had a part interest until 2013.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

So, in other words, instead of being a unique network with unique programming choices, they should just do what all the other networks are doing, and not even bother trying; essentially just telling certain groups of people what they (think they) want to hear, with the worst case scenario being that they just (randomly) air whatever, wherever, whenever, figuring that the viewers won't know the difference / notice / care.

Original shows? How could anyone be sure they won't use those to build their entire future on (as certain other networks--which will remain nameless--did), ultimately reducing the variety of shows that they air? Heck, while this is admittedly the worst case scenario, it could ultimately lead to them (seemingly) relying more on one popular show. That is, to the point where that's all they ever seem to show. Sound familiar? It should...

Look, everyone, I really think that they shouldn't try to copy the other networks. I have to be completely honest, here. They would ultimately make the same mistakes those other networks made, or at least I think that's would happen. No offense, Nexonius, but to me (repeat: to me), it sounds like you just want history to ultimately repeat itself. Simply put, I'm hoping that doesn't happen.

16. Nexonius

This is just an idea, but it focuses on strategy like other networks. It doesn't have to follow the format, and I certainly said acquisitions (good ones nonetheless), but to really continue and push to be as serious as the others, some of the things they have to do will have to be similar. And I never said "rely on one show", but this is a huge gamble turning a network that only recently started to shy away from PBS to ordering/acquiring more originals.

The name "Universal" itself could be special for acquisitions from around the world, but it also means synergy. And if you watch any of the NBCU entertainment networks, they'll promote the hell out of shows and movies owned by them. And with the theme parks, DreamWorks, and Illumination (they'd be stupid NOT to add the Minions somewhere), I really don't think the new network will want to waste any time having majority of their lineup made and owned by other studios (only about 4 to 5 past/current shows Sprout actually owns or has a stake in).

Anyway, looking at Top Chef Junior, it could definitely bring a challenge to the other kidvid channels (hopefully sans CN) of what seems to be a hour long reality competition along with the Australian/Canadian/UK shows premiering on the network. Looking at clips of all of the announced shows that's not DreamWorks, they all have a vibe ranging from Disney Channel to TeenNick.

Also, I wonder how will the network edit the DreamWorks Animation shows made for Netflix since it doesn't necessarily have breaks, save for the shows with 11 minute segments.

#76 Nexonius, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  17. superkeegan9100

I wouldn't be surprised if the network kicked off the Universal Kids change with the network television premiere of Minions.

18. Nexonius

The press release previously stated that it would kick off with All Hail King Julien and DreamWorks Dragons. Besides, that movie is in FX's hands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. superkeegan9100

It seems like all recent movies are in FX's hands.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Nexonius

[​IMG]

This appears to be the new logo, and there's a promo to go along with it:

• Like Like x 1