1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

IKR? I didn't know it wasn't with PBS anymore until 2014.

2. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I knew the rebrand is inevitable. With Universal's acquisition of DWA and it's robust animation capabilities along with Illumination's growing library of IP, it was only a matter of time.

Would prefer if the Universal Kids portion took up more of the airtime, but since parents are used to the network being a preschool focused, they probably don't want some level of programming consistency.

As for doing better than The Hub.... it's possible. The Hub failed due to lack of sponsorship. What Universal Kids should be worried about is poor ratings since kids networks ratings overall are dropping.
    Still wish them luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

I wonder if some obscure catalog titles Universal has could make an appearance on the channel, like Earthworm Jim. That show in particular hasn't gotten airplay since the '90s, atleast not in the US.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Mikurotoro92

Mikurotoro92 Banned

We don't need another kids' channel!

How are they going to establish themselves?

(ESPECIALLY with the 2 heavyhitter shows on Nick and CN!)

More importantly what will the parents of pre-schoolers think about this change?

This is as bad as Nickmom but at least that was only a block!

5. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Eh its worth a try, there can never really be that many channels.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is as bad as NickMom since the programming on Universal Kids will be more family friendly.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. superkeegan9100

We do not speak the name of that horrid change.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

I imagine there's going to be upset parents on Sprout's Facebook/other social media over the charge, but probably not to the extent of NickMom. Likely complaints along the lines of "These shows are boring for preschoolers to watch in the evening!"

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. superkeegan9100

Don't try to tell them those shows for older kids, they won't listen. Trust me, I've been there.

10. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

Universal Kids is NOTHING like NickMom. At all. NickMom was essentially Nick Jr.'s version of what is now (as of this writing) the Cartoon Network's 8:00 PM-6:00 AM block. Sprout is still going to be a 100% family network, AND they're STILL going to use the Sprout name when they show preschool shows. This network is still going to be a family network, unlike when Nick Jr. decided to only be family friendly part of the time, and try to cater to all the mothers (and technically, also the fathers) the rest of the time at the rest of the family's expense. This isn't like when parents complained about shows that clearly weren't family shows (e.g., I think they showed Desperate Housewives once) being shown on a network meant for preschoolers. No offense, Mikutoro, but NickMom was not the right comparison. Okay, so they're going to show more than just preschool shows (they've been showing the Land Before Time movies for a while), but it's still going to be a family network.

(sighs) "NickMom"; give me a break! (smh)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. JaredCap43™

JaredCap43™ Cringey Network

It's weird that Sprout is "rebranding" as Universal Kids when it will be taking up more than half of the day (3:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M.), it's kind of like Disney XD when it was called Toon Disney. Sprout should only air from no earlier than 4:00 A.M. (maybe starting at 9:00 A.M. at the latest) to no later than 3:00 P.M.

12. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

I wonder if they could syndicate any of the Dreamworks Netflix shows since Universal does technically own them.

13. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

The Deadline article (which was linked in the opening post) says that All Hail King Julien will air.

14. superkeegan9100

Didn't you read the article? All Hail King Julien and Dragons: Riders of Berk (or Defenders of Berk, or Race to the Edge) will air on the channel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Antonio Bravo

Antonio Bravo IDOL UP!

If only this channel would only air cartoons only.....but that's not gonna happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Magmaster12

Magmaster12 Well-Known Member

It would be better if they aired the old Jay Ward cartoons they now own.

17. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Depending on what is their plan for the channel having the JW cartoons might or might not fit.

18. superkeegan9100

I highly doubt this will become the official logo, but I made a concept for my fan logo from earlier.

(this is the last time I'll give NBCUniversal ideas)
    UNIK.png

• Like Like x 1
    #58 superkeegan9100, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
  19. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

At first glance I was surprised since KidsCo. (the former network NBCUniversal had going on internationally before being cut off a few years ago because of being filled with nothing but reruns (not one NBCUniversal owned show appeared on this channel as well)), Comcast not having a lot of IP or shows they own or care to even be a serious contender, much less even care about running one after they bought out PBS's interest in Sprout, which was a preschool rerun haven of roughly 13 or so shows, half of those that are either international, relatively unknown or doesn't even have a lot of episodes to run weekly.

Fast forward to 2016, after the buyout of DreamWorks Animation I expected something to happen to Sprout with the library and IPs Comcast have the rights to now (Netflix's deal withstanding), and finally a reason to get the ball rolling, though very late in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #59 Nexonius, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  20. superkeegan9100

Hahahaha no. It was more than that. Sprout had a wide variety of shows since its launch in 2005. Wish I could say the same for their current lineup...