1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

The On Demand section has the first prototype logo and music from the first teaser promo.

• Like Like x 1
  2. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I just realized.....Universal Kids is Fox Family 2.0. I mean, think about it! The acquisitions, the synergy, the fact that it's sometimes called "the all-new" Universal Kids! It's the same tactics used for Fox Family! I'd give it 4 years.

EDIT: All Hail King Julien is finally airing in NTSC audio!

• Agree Agree x 1
    #342 superkeegan9100, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. Nexonius

As of yesterday, both DreamWorks shows are playing in the correct pitch (whether if this is permanent from here on out as the network airs them is still up in the air).

As of today it's been one week since the official launch of Universal Kids. Any thoughts on the channel's lineup so far, the structure, bumpers, promos, critiques, praises, etc.?

My opinion of the channel as a whole (so far):

The Sprout section of the network needs to have its own bumpers in order to have its own identity again, like how Nick does Nick Jr. promos for their shows (I haven't seen not one newly made promo for any of the new episodes of shows on the Sprout side that premiered last week or premiering this weekend) pertaining to only Nick Jr. while still being on the same network, whereas if being promoted on other channels it could say "Only on Sprout, part of Universal Kids" or something.

The whole "proven international hits" thing is not necessary as they could definitely take some risks with showing kids Canadian cartoons that doesn't meet their requirements of making kids "think" , seeing that it's mostly acquisitions on their channel.

The lineup is okay, but it lacks animation so far on the UK side. Too many CG toons and not enough 2D, though it's only a week old and anything could happen in a six month radius. Since the deed has been done for Sprout, I believe the later hours should be given to the latter part of the network, making it 12 hours even on weekdays, 14 on weekends.

The promos (again), needs more pizzazz (something that is as creative as Cartoon Network, not looking for old trends/memes like Nick), synergy, more marketing, and more promotion (I have to note that neither Masha and the Bear nor The Jungle Bunch have gotten any promos related to the network, in the former's case...zero promotion whatsoever) in order to get more people to notice. It just needs to find its footing. As for the bumpers, the DreamWorks characters that's available to Universal Kids along with the Minions could be used in creative animated bumpers.

A few things I can praise is that if there's a few things that's good about the buyout of DreamWorks Animation, is that their shows finally has a (likely permanent) home on the network, case in point with All Hail King Julien and Dragons: Riders of Berk.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. superkeegan9100

Nope. Not anymore. The Dragons episode that aired today (Alvin and the Outcasts) was aired in PAL audio.

5. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Agreed. I can't fathom why they got rid of the Sprout name for the entire channel despite still having most it's programming, Disney and Nick could've kept their regular indents and such but that would rob their respective pre-school blocks of shining in their own right, it's part of what made their brands last for all these years.
    Again, agreed. The lineup they have is fine for right now, but if they really want to spread their wings they'll need to branch out and let the series aimed at an older audience take hold. I refer back to my wishlist from the start of the thread, The Beagle and Becky Show, Thunderbirds Are Go, Little Witch Academia, all series that would be right at home on the new network, I mean Nowhere Boys is there which dives head first into dark fantasy with a dash of horror. Heck they could probably greelit Don Bluth's Dragon Lair movie as a either a TV Movie or series, which would only generate hype and positive press for them

The ill-fated Hub Network for all it's problems is a good template for this. Their promos had a real sense of life for the network and gave their shows a personality even outside of watching them.

Will that ever happen again? I can't say, though I wish more networks too the time for this.

Anywho, that's just my two cents is basically agreeing with your points above. I want Universal Kids to succeed, I really do. If only to give another competitor a chance to shine in a market dominated by three and maybe give Nick and CN motivation to be better than where they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. superkeegan9100

^ Ah yes, I remember all of those Hub promos...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nexonius

Must be different episodes that'll have PAL/NTSC audio. Looks like Universal Kids has the Exiled episodes of All Hail King Julien as well (looking at my cable schedule).

And yeah, hopefully they'll look into the other "award winning" or highly reviewed shows to join their lineup, especially with what AnotherRandomGuy mentioned. Hell, an animated Fast and the Furious series could work now since Nowhere Boys is on. It needs more hours, as 9 to 10 hours just won't cut it. With the whole "let's put real kids in our bumpers to make everybody know it's for kids" is clearly obvious, as people know that Nick, Disney, Cartoon Network, and Universal Kids are kid targeted channels. It's old and it needs to be mixed with animation (that's still the king of kidvid TV here) and in the upcoming months can change with more creative bumpers related to the Hub.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. superkeegan9100

So I checked the schedule, and it looks like Wallace and Gromit short films will air on September 30. These are the shorts that will air:
    05:00PM - "The Wrong Trousers"
    05:30PM - "A Grand Day Out"
    06:00PM - "A Close Shave" (the one with Shaun)
    06:30PM - "A Matter of Loaf and Death"

9. Nexonius

Interesting that they got the rights to the specials, hopefully they'll air Curse of The Were-Rabbit since it's DreamWorks based.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. superkeegan9100

One of the Storybots fillers just aired......on the Universal Kids part of the network.

11. Nexonius

Hopefully the non PAL portions of the DWA shows can air more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. superkeegan9100

Well, I hate to break it to you, but the All Hail King Julien episode that's airing as I'm typing this (He Blinded Me With Science) is in PAL audio. I don't know what happened that Friday, but yeah, the rest of the episodes of the series (along with Dragons) will be in PAL.

13. SpaceCowboy

SpaceCowboy Active Member

Are they actually airing European broadcast masters or is there just an issue with the audio?

#353 SpaceCowboy, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  14. Nexonius

The former.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. superkeegan9100

They accidentally aired a next bumper for Little Big Shots instead of Little Lunch.

16. JTOONSAnimation

JTOONSAnimation Active Member

The ratings aren't so hot:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. superkeegan9100

Well if all else fails they can always go the ABC Family route...

18. Mandouga

Mandouga Well-Known Member

...which I hope they don't. That won't solve anything in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Nexonius

Does anyone have Sprout's ra tings before the rebrand?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Not great. but it is only a few weeks old.
    Things can turn around given enough time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    #360 AnotherRandomGuy, Sep 20, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017