1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

They just took a dead channel space. Nowadays there's no room.

2. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Unless they had the new DreamWorks shows in their possession along with more kid programming in hand, it wouldn't have worked. Comcast would have to convince a hell of a lot of people to carry their network (toys, ad marketing, ratings, relevancy, etc.) but alas, they got in the kid game a bit late so they have to make do with the amount of homes they currently have. The things they done to Sprout in order for the rebrand to happen is done.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

Common Sense Media gave a quite positive review for Nowhere Boys, which might give Universal Kids some attention...except they said the show is on NBC. Parents are going to be lost.

4. superkeegan9100

^ Oh the irony of it all, NBC used to air select shows from the network (not including Nowhere Boys).

5. sasq

sasq Active Member

In Italy, companies have to buy a LCN (Logical Channel Number) to create a channel.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Nexonius

Well, NBCUniversal took a risk with doing a big rebrand with a kids network already in homes and their other networks (Esquire, Cloo, and Chiller) have either closed down or been taken off of cable systems (Chiller is still going) because of the little content they make or low ratings this year.

So to start from scratch would be more money and a even higher risk, since they once again would need attraction from cable operators, so if this proves to be successful they might create a new channel for more kid content (remember, Disney envy).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. superkeegan9100

Yes since Disney and Universal are mortal enemies.

8. Cartoon Ruler

Cartoon Ruler I Like Waffles

I wonder if Universal Kids will still air Disney movies?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. superkeegan9100

Probably, I wouldn't count on it, though since they have DreamWorks as an equivalent to Disney.

10. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Disney airs Universal movies when they have a chance, so take that for whatever it's worth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Nexonius

So they're quietly but surely taking advantage of those Despicable Me shorts, but I compared the UK version of King Julien to the Netflix version and it's definitely in PAL. You'd think they'd be able to get a NTSC copy without any mention of Netflix or just simply edit it out.

12. superkeegan9100

So, basically, All Hail King Julien is also in PAL audio?

13. Nexonius

Yes.

Also, the Facebook comments on both the Sprout and Universal Kids Facebook pages are not positive. Many have a point mentioning disabled children, and at times I do think about if they had the guts to actually start the channel up from scratch.

14. superkeegan9100

Please don't talk about that subject. It's a touchy subject for me since my school has 'em.

15. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm surprised Sprout has as many fans as people are implying. I read on Kidscreen that Sprout has the lowest ratings of all the main preschool networks. It's so bad toy companies avoid doing business with a show if it ends up on the channel.

I do hope they acquire some good animated series. Though from the looks of things, their main goal is to put a lot of the Netflix / DWA shows there. I remember reading that they plan to kick Universal Animation Studios back in to gear, and considered making shows based off other Universal properties like Despicable Me, Jurassic World, and the studio's biggest hit, Fast and Furious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Frank Coufal

Frank Coufal Member

I hope they do something new with An American Tail, and actually make it something worth watching.

17. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Don't really know how they could make children's series out of the latter two, especially nowadays. I recall there a couple of attempts in the 90s for a Jurassic Park animated series, but both fell through for one reason or another.

18. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

If R-rated movies like Rambo and RoboCop can get Saturday morning cartoons for kids, then anything can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

Compared to Dinsey. Jr and Nick Jr. there really was not much the channel had going for it knowing how more popular are those two and more well known.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Nexonius

Well, it was one of the quieter NBCU networks that parents thought that wasn't in your face like the rest, nothing flashy or super big. Just a small known preschool channel that catered to small children.

And yes, Universal Animation Studios is in fact stationed at DreamWorks Animation's Glendale campus as I remember Universal executive Jeff Shell saying that buying DWA shredded them seven years worth of development with their own resources. I should point out that Universal also owns Mac Guff, so they could get their part subsidary Illumination to expand the studio to make TV shows, maybe even be an overseas studio for UAS for 2D series. That way, once the Netflix shows being made by DWA are finally untangled it'll have actual new shows with new episodes.

I actually wouldn't mind a Land Before Time series with the characters as adults. Without the singing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    #320 Nexonius, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2017