1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal Kids (formerly Sprout) (TALKBACK)

Discussion in 'The Entertainment Board' started by barcncpt44, May 1, 2017.

1. superkeegan9100

superkeegan9100 Well-known user and expert in cartoons

I like what they did with the screen bug.

2. D-nice is the man.

Here are more Screenshots from On Screen Graphics and Promos of the new Universal Kids, noticed during the change they don't even mention the Sprout name, and as seen in that video above, The Logo changes from Sprout to Universal Kids periodically.
    Universal Kids 4.jpg
    Universal Kids 5.jpg
    Universal Kids 6.jpg
    Universal Kids 7.jpg
    Universal Kids 8.jpg
    Universal Kids 9.jpg
    Universal Kids 10.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. superkeegan9100

Can we change the title since Universal Kids is here?

4. Nexonius

Nexonius Ten, count em', ten years!

Could you also screenshot the new TV rating bug since that changed as well?

EDIT: Two Minions shorts have aired so far, the Banana one, then the Orientation Day.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #284 Nexonius, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  5. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

I got it.
    [​IMG]

6. Nexonius

Thank you!

• Like Like x 2
  7. ToonJay723

ToonJay723 Bingo Bongo

I checked out the app a little bit. To prevent pre-schoolers from watching the 6 - 11 programs, they lock it away with... a math problem... with single digit numbers. Do they really think 5 year olds can't do basic math? Or use a calculator? What's wrong with simple parental controls?

As for what's on there, it's three episodes each of Hank Zipzer, The Deep, Little Lunch, The Next Step, and The Nowhere Boys and five episodes of The Land Before Time. No DreamWorks shows yet.

8. Golden Geek

Golden Geek Gera Gera Po

YouTube Kids does something similar during the first parental setup, spelling out numbers that have to be typed in like most kids can't read numbers.

9. superkeegan9100

Sprout has more hours than Universal Kids yet it's considered the block. I'll never understand that for as long as I live.

10. AnotherRandomGuy

AnotherRandomGuy The cat's in the cradle

Probably still playing to their comfort zone I would guess, this could still go sour and they probably wouldn't want to risk putting all their eggs in one basket and simply go back to being Sprout again if anything goes wrong.

Not a bad idea, I mean look what happened to The Hub...

...I still miss The Hub

11. superkeegan9100

Pfft, yeah right. Once you switch formats, there's no turning back. I'm looking at you, TLC.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

They'll keep the format at is if Universal Kids fails. Sprout's already such a huge part of the channel, there's no reason to make it entirely Sprout at this point.

Also, I don't really like the Universal Kids logo. They should put the word "Kids" underneath "Universal".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Nexonius

Yeah, it should at least revise the logo a bit, looks weird when it's displayed on the right corner. The TV ratings icon is small entirely as it's supposed to be a bit larger when the show begins.

For a final ruling: I give it an B- for effort.

After all these years of talking about NBCU not having the guts of having the guts to bring the long gone KidsCo. to the US, to them not taking either their animation library or studio seriously outside of Curious George and the forever damned Land Before Time sequel or two, to removing their interest in ion (in which they had a stake in Qubo years ago), on and off/wishy-washy dreams of being in the kids business, unlikely studio Illumination becoming a powerhouse with Despicable Me and Minions....and then when Comcast (already envy for Disney) comes in the picture, everything changes in a matter of a few years. First, Comcast hands over their networks to NBCU, then starts pairing Sprout with NBC, then buys PBS's interest in Sprout sometime later, Sprout rebranding its motto and look, DreamWorks Animation getting bought out, then finally, NBCU deciding to build a kids network. Talk about things change.

It's as if Discovery Kids, Teen Nick, CBBC, Disney Junior and Disney Channel came together to become this kids channel that aired kid focused shows from around the world, but owned by NBCUniversal. As a parent (hell, a grandparent), I can honestly say that while it's certainly not the first time this format has been tried, at least it's different from the others.

But I really can't stress enough that there needs to have more animation on the network (no matter how much the network wants kids to be wowed by real kids doing real things, as it's not a bad thing, animation is very needed and it shouldn't be treated as second rate), and no Sprout doesn't count. Speaking of which....

Sprout barely being mentioned at all besides having their named shown is pretty much unsurprising since it's rebranded already, but at least it could've aired specific bumpers that were related to Sprout (something that's creative and not made on the spot) during the breaks instead of the standard Universal Kids (and used the Illumination/DreamWorks related shorts a bit later in the day). Also, maybe a bumper or two saying that Sprout is here or telling the younger viewers and parents to catch Sprout online anytime once the last show of the block aired as it transitions to Universal Kids.

The DreamWorks shows (All Hail King Julien and Dragons: Riders of Berk) being reran is a good thing (synergy is key!), however when I watched the first episodes on the channel via DVR...not only were their intros sped up but the latter show was in PAL, which I hope the channel recognizes and fixes. Julien also had a few breaks made by the channel since it's from Netflix, which doesn't have that at all. Hopefully when Universal Kids acquire more Netflix DWA cartoons it won't have their intros sped up or be in PAL.

I wish the network could've had the countdown bumper start at the beginning at 6AM to start the change instead of showing it later in the day since it no longer made any sense.

Granted I won't be watching everyday, but if something animated related comes along stateside or it's something that'll interest me I'll go check it out.

• Informative Informative x 3
    #293 Nexonius, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  14. jaylop97

jaylop97 Commonly found at Night

I must say to date the only rebrand I have seen to have a special launch is The Hub, others like this one tend to skip right ahead to the promos and new network.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. superkeegan9100

...Er, maybe they sped up the intro because of time purposes? Most networks do that for many shows. For example, Disney XD sped up Fangbone's intro, well, only for the first couple of episodes.

16. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

Could they not have kept Sprout for the preschool children and launched Universal Kids as a brand new channel for the older kids like Cbeebies and CBBC/Nickeledeon and Nick Jr/Disney Channel and Disney Junior? Especially when Sprout was successful as a 24/7 preschool channel

17. PinkiePie97

PinkiePie97 Well-Known Member

Universal Kids wouldn't get as much carriage that way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. D-nice is the man.

For one thing, I do like that the On Screen Bug for Universal Kids' text is larger than the Primary logo itself because it kind of looks small if they did use the standard logo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. superkeegan9100

Yes because DirecTV has no room for another kids channel.

20. zeebre12

zeebre12 Member

How did kids channels launch originally without replacing another?even the most recent kids channels in the US