1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate X-Men #69-71 "Phoenix?" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by Wonder Woman, Apr 5, 2006.

?

Rate and Comment

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

50.0%
  5. ***

50.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

A new storyline begins!

ULTIMATE X-MEN #69

[​IMG]

WRITER: Robert Kirkman
    PENCILS: Ben Oliver

THE STORY: “PHOENIX?” Part 1 (of 3) Hot artist Ben Oliver (Vigilante) joins the terrific Robert Kirkman for a new 3-issue arc! The mysterious mutant called Magician is plunged into the world of the X-Men, adjusting quickly and making new friends fast. But there is something deeply sinister about the newcomer. Something only young Kitty Pryde notices. Let’s hope she hasn’t noticed too late. Meanwhile, is Jean Grey really the cosmic entity called Phoenix? And if so…what can be done about it…?

Comments? What are your thoughts?

2. Wonder Woman

I thought this issue was a bit all over the place but still enjoyable. The art could've used some extra work. I think what I'm finding most fascinating is the continued "Gambitization" of Rogue. You can tell she's starting to slowly change and become something else entirely and it's really fascinating. It didn't get alot of focus this issue but I can see this coming up big time in a future arc.

This issue seemed a bit of a run-of-the-mill type story. Nothing too exciting happening but they are laying down some neat ideas. I want to know what the whole deal is with the Church of the Sh'iar. I think that's one of the more interesting ideas in the book and I hope we get to see it fully explored.

3. SpiderPunk

SpiderPunk anti-hero

Meh, I didn't think it was a really good issuse. I had my problems with it. Like you said Spider-Man, it was just kind of run of the mill. Nothing really stood out for me. I aslo agree that it jumped around a lot. That's something I've always disliked about team books, is there can be like 10 or 15 things all happening at the same time. I did like how they tied in Ultimate Hulk and Wolverine, but that's really it.
    I hated the art! I just really didn't like it at all. There were time's when the Prof. X's head looked deform or something. And a couple times where Jene looked like 50. I don't know I thought that I really like this style but I found myself thinking that look like crud.
    Also, did the new kid cause the Brotherhood to attack Frost's place? Or was that last line like just a one-liner.

4. Wonder Woman

Ultimate X-Men #70 Talkback (Spoilers)

ULTIMATE X-MEN #70

[​IMG]

THE STORY: “PHOENIX?” Part 2 of 3. Magician’s trial by fire into the world of the X-Men is kicked up a notch when he and Cyclops find themselves face to face with a thousand pounds of immovability called The Blob—and his bouncing buddy the terrible Toad! Will the fledgling X-Man have what it takes? Meanwhile, the quest to learn what is really happening with Jean Grey takes a totally unexpected turn. You have been warned.

Comments?

5. SpiderPunk

SpiderPunk anti-hero

I'm still waiting for Kirkman to wow me. After the last few writiers I kind of feel like Kirkman isn't living up to what I've come expect from the Ultimate X. I liked Date Night, but the most recent arc has been really just blah. Maybe it's the art, I really dislike this artist. I just don't dig Oliver's work, a lot of the characters just don't look right. Normally I really like "non-traditional" comic art, but I just think that his art doesn't work well for this book.

6. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

Agreed. I went through an Ultimate X-Men marathon the last 2 days and watching the deterioration in quality after Millar left has been sad. Bendis was awesome and Vaughn wasn't bad at all but this Kirkman dude is trying my patience. His plots aren't all that great, the pacing is bad, and his dialogue is HORRIBLE! Who talks like that? It's very unnatural to read and comes off really bad considering I was just reading Millar and Bendis 2 days ago. I really hope this dude either learns to write like people actually talk or pulls something amazing out of his ass plot-wise or I'm going to be sorely dissapointed with his run.

I'm also not a fan of the art recently, they've changed wolverine, making him look more like the mainstream version, which I never liked. That goofy haircut has always bugged me, I liked the long haired rebel look he's been sporting in Ultimate X-Men. And Sabertooth looked just plain weird in Date Night, it was distracting. The art overall has just been sub-par along with the writing. Other than that I'm still hooked on this series, though, it's been the most consistently pleasing, if not downright amazing, title that I've ever read. The first 65 issues, I can't say any other book about any character (not even my beloved Batman) has kept me drooling and anxiously craving more for so long. I wonder what happened to Gambit, too? Is he dead or something? Rogue completely absorbing his powers permanently is kind of weird, and it's not really Rogue anymore if she doesn't have the leech ability, for me...but, oh well...at least it was a surprise. What I'm waiting for though is the return of Magneto and more Mystique, the brotherhood arcs have been the best since this series started, for some reason, and I've been waiting to see her since the beggining. It was a shock when she finally showed up and was a major tease, at that. Although I LOVED how she was worked in. At first I was like, "What the hell? All that and he gets defeated before even leaving the compound? HOW LAME!!". And then reading the scene in the cell with Frost almost made me wet myself with excitement! Ack!! I'm in love with this title! :p 5 years later and it's still the best! :D!!!!

Ok, well, rambling over.

Final verdict? Still loving the Ultimate X-Men, but only because I'm addicted to these characters at this point, the poor new writer is killing it for me a little. That and the stupid "Colossus is gay, Nightcrawler acts like a fruit-loop over it" thing. Eh, whatever. God, I hope Millar and Kubert come back to set this book straight before it goes from below the set benchmark to just plain bad. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh, wowza, Gambit is dead. WTF? Ugh...

#6 Daredevil_2003, Jun 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2006
  7. SpiderPunk

SpiderPunk anti-hero

Really you thought that Nightcrawler freaking out was dumb? I thought it was a nice touch. I mean with all that's going on with Nightcrawler what with the blue furry skin and all that he could still be freaked out by Colossus being gay, I mena that says something right. Plus, Nightcrawlers gotta learn that Colossus is the same as he ever was and get over it.

8. Daredevil_2003

Daredevil_2003 The Man Without Fear

It's not so much that he was unsettled by it, but the extent to which he was weirded out was dumb. Eh IDK, at this point it's not the most pressing problem the book has, so I'm not too worried about it. Just another nitpick.

9. Wonder Woman

Ultimate X-Men #71 Talkback (Spoilers)

ULTIMATE X-MEN #71

[​IMG]

THE STORY: “PHOENIX?” Part 3 (of 3) The quest to learn if Jean Grey is, in fact, the Phoenix reaches a shattering conclusion! And the mystery surrounding the X-Men’s newest member, the Magician, deepens—as Nick Fury starts putting the pieces together!

Comments?

10. SpiderPunk

SpiderPunk anti-hero

Meh...this, I think, has been the worst arc in a while. Nothing really made me stand up a cheer. I don't know I love Ultimate X, but this last arc totally sucked. It was just so...bland, the only thing I thpught was really cool was the Hellfire stuff and even that was weak. I hate the new guy on the team, he just so...lame. Over all I would give this arc a 4 outta 10, wasn't terrible, but that's not saying much...