1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "The Revenge of Arnim Zola" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Sep 26, 2015.

?

Rate this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

33.3%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

33.3%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

33.3%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new Ultimate Spider-Man adventure tonight at 9:00PM (ET) on Disney XD!
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors - Episode LXXII - The Revenge of Arnim Zola. The Synthezoids War continues!

[​IMG]

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "The Revenge of Arnim Zola"
    Episode Debut - September 26th, 2015
    Directed by: Tim Maltby
    Written by: Brandon Auman

While freeing classmates Spider-Man is captured by Arnim Zola and absorbed into his body. The freed friends must fight Zola to help Spider-Man escape the madman.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

And Cap is where during all this?

Sent from my Motorola phone using Tapatalk

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Probably off on a mission with the Avengers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

"Ve are switching bodies, Spider-Man! You will remain in my body a prisoner. With your body as mine, I vill be unSTOPpable! In-vincible!"

Since when has Spider-Man been either of those? Just curious.

5. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My opinions about the episode:
    + Mistake at the beginning with Spidey's recap of the previous episode: Dagger was naver replaced by a Synthezoid.
    + The Hybrid Synthezoids of the villains (Doc Ock/Juggernaut and Scorpion/Whirlwind).... I'm not gonna lie, they made me want to vomit and they were creepy, but they were interesting adversaries. You know?, they could have created a Synthezoid mixing all the powers of the Sinister Six; just like the Super-Skrull from the "Secret Invasion" with the Sinister Six's powers.
    + Rhino and Venom continuously fighting each other was getting my nerves. Thank godness they finally stopped at the right moment. But I have to say, it was really weird to see Rhino hugging Spidey as "best buddy and stuff".
    + Arnim Zola's first new robot body was cool and powerful.
    + His second new robot body using the powers of the captive prisioners, that was really low. Not to mention it was absurd. I mean, how is it possible for a machine to reproduce Iron Fist's or Venom's powers without any organic parts?
    + I'm quite tired of seeing other people stealing Spidey's body: Wolverine, Hulk, Loki and now Arnim Zola. Make this stop once and for all!!!
    + The way Zola was trying to take Spider-Man's body, I recognize the allusion to "Superior Spider-Junk". I almost smashed my screen in rage like Hulk, because I really hate that story!! (I really hope they won't try to do that again, even although Ock made a reference in the first episode of the third season after Loki did it).

+ Spidey using his team's powers, now that was awesome overload. Too bad it couldn't happen in the real world. I think Spidey is way worthier of those powers than his teammates. I guess he combined Iron Fist's power with Power Man's strength in his attack.
    + I didn't expect seeing Ant-Man here. The way Zola used his powers, it seems he used more the "Giant-Man" part. Although they keep drawing him in his original helmet instead of the new one from the Avengers' series.
    + The way Rhino tried to awake Spidey with a roar, anyone recognize a reference to the Hulk awaked Iron Man in the first Avengers' movie?
    + I was really happy to see Spider-Man using the Iron Spider's armour again. He really deserves it much more than Amadeus. Cho only uses the "Iron Man" part, but not the "Spider-Man" part.
    + The way Arnim Zola was defeated, turning off an old TV, was really hilarious. However, I'm quite convinced that we haven't seen the last of Zola. I'm quite sure he will return, and it will bring us an animated version of the Clone Saga. (Potentially confirmed thanks to next season's spoilers).
    + Don't you think it was ridiculous how quickly the Triskellion and the Academy were rebuilt so quickly? I mean, I supposed they were going to be because of the X-Mas episode, but I really wanted to see Spidey back to Midtown High as Peter Parker.

Well, what do you think?

6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. Zola was a decent adversary but his habit of returning all the time got annoying pretty fast. I also found annoying the constant bickering between Agent Venom and Rhino. Them arguing didn't really add anything to the episode but I liked how they stopped by the end in order to save Spidey. The new hybrid synthezoids, this time using Spidey's villains as templates were pretty cool. I would have liked to see more of them and less of Zola, actually.

The fight between Spidey and Zola was pretty good. The scene where Zola is trying to take over Spidey's body was handled pretty well. It was a rather chilling scene, with Spidey fading away and Zola wearing the Spidey suit with a Hyrda emblem on his chest. I thought the climax with Spidey taking all of his friends' powers to battle Zola was pretty silly but it did lead to a good fight scene. I appreciate they at least took a new, unique approach to the mind and body switch trope, which has been used already a couple of times on the show.

All things considered, not bad. A decent enough two-part story with a great villain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Better episode than I was expecting, and I really enjoyed the fights inside Zola's head.

But I really didn't care for the Rhino/Venom plot. Yay, yet another plot about people having to learn teamwork. That must be the most overused message in Marvel cartoons right now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

You can really tell that was all Brandon Auman (the man who wrote this episode.) The guy is superb at writing dark/bleak/hopeless moments, as seen in the current TMNT show, where he is the head writer. ;)

Did I mention he wrote the Dante's Inferno animated film? (The one based on the video game, not the comedic paper-cut-out piece of trash from around the same time.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #8 TheLemsterPju, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a solid conclusion to this arc and generally a fairly enjoyable episode. I definitely enjoyed this two-parter (or what's basically a two-parter) more than I did the original Zola episode :).

Considering all the video game references, and Spidey's little tussle in the digital domain, I did get a kind of video game feel from the events in the episode, and in hindsight the arc as a whole. We had all the Synthezoid mooks in the last episode as grunts, the villain combination Synthezoids serving as mid-bosses, Zola being the final boss only for the reveal that his bigger body is the true final boss, and then ending with Spidey pulling a Mega Man by taking the powers from his Team in order to beat Zola. Not using that as a knock against the episode, of course, just something interesting I found about it ;).

I find it ironic that we had Zola attempting to pull a Superior Spider-Man switch in this episode instead of Doc Ock. He even mentioned having a "Superior" body :p.

I also thought Agent Venom and Rhino bickering throughout the episode was a tad too annoying and took up way too much of the episode. I mean, I get it, considering their history it makes sense these two would be at odds most of the time and it's not like Alex doesn't have legit grievances with Flash. It just seems like every episode with these two together focuses on their conflict and then seemingly resolves it, only to have them be at each others throats the next time they meet. At least they were able to come together to help save the day here, and hopefully they're character development sticks this time o_O.

I liked the touch with Zola's digital self being his original body, and overall I thought he was an effective antagonist, though I thought his digital self and his first body were a bit cooler than his giant robot self even if it's ability to use all the teen heroes' powers (and Ant-Man :p) was quite impressive. Maybe it's just that I'm tired of seeing lackluster-looking CG robots in Marvel cartoons, especially after Electro in Spider-Verse, and how they have a tendency to not look very good. Western animation seems to have a harder time blending CG robots and 2D animation than Japanese animation for the most part. In any case, he certainly forced Spidey and co. to really work for their win in this episode, and gave us some nice fights :cool:.

It is kinda odd that with so much Zola focus, we haven't seen Cap turn up once aside from some flashbacks. Particularly when he gets a big mention here, and we see just how much mentioning Captain America can anger Zola. It would be cool to see Zola pop up in Assemble to see how Cap reacts to seeing him alive again. Maybe Zola will end up joining the Masters of Evil :D?

Well, they certainly did a quick job fixing up the Triskellion :eek:!

Though you have to wonder what it was about the Academy that people were so lukewarm about...from all we've been shown, aside from the Zola incident, the Academy and the students have been fairly successful and safe, even in training. Just seems like an unnecessary line meant to portray the Academy as a program as being in nonexistent political danger for some last minute drama :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dmxx116

dmxx116 Well-Known Member

I'm not feeling the Rhino as a hero in this show, I like him better as a thug villain just like the comics and in other past Spider-Man show.

#10 dmxx116, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

While I also prefer Rhino as a villain, I at least can accept the show's portrayal as an interesting take on the character :).

Heck, the fact that he's a reluctant hero on this show already means he gets more screentime than other Spidey rogues :p.