1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 7, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this Episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Spidey is back! Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man tonight on Disney XD.

[​IMG]

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy"

Episode Debut - July 7th, 2015

Spider-Man's education at S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy begins! But Spidey's academic career might be cut seriously short when a long-dormant villain awakens from hibernation and sets his sights on destroying S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comments?

2. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Oh, poor Peter Parker, always getting the worse happen to him in the end.

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. The humor is still kind of lame, but I thought it was at least toned down this time. There were some dumb moments but the story played out rather well. The action scenes were staged well, the only thing that bothered me (at least during the team's first training exercise) was Spidey explaining everything that was happening on screen. Other than that, I don't really have any complaints. Since the last episode aired I pretty much forgot which other heroes were introduced on the show, and joined Spidey's team.

I thought the concept of the SHIELD Academy was pretty interesting. Various heroes being instructors for different stuff. It kind of makes sense, and it could lead to some nice cameos along the way. It was pretty great seeing Whizzer on this show. I could have lived without the jokes about his name or Spidey laughing at it, though. Neat to see one of Marvel's Golden Age characters animated again. I liked his brief moment with the scrapbook, with pictures of him fighting alongside Captain America. The little talk Nick Fury had with Spidey at the end of the episode was decent.

Arnim Zola was a pretty decent adversary. Great to hear Mark Hamill voicing him. Zola didn't really seem that threatening (not only because of his silly true-to-the-comics design), but his army of synthezoids was pretty cool. The fight scenes between the heroes and Zola's army was good. I doubt this was the end of Zola, though. The episode felt like it was setting him up to make a comeback. Hopefully his next story will be better, or at least more entertaining, than this one.

4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

Arnim Zola sounded and looked good. Tying in Whizzer and Captain America was a nice touch as well. The humor was mediocre and I kinda rolled my eyes at Spider-Man being demoted for Cho's screw-up, though. Still, I like what I'm seeing so far. Hopefully, they'll really get more out of the "training teen superheroes" thing than they did in seasons 1 and 2.

5. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

RoyalRubble, you are right when you guess this is not the last time we will see Arnim Zola. The cliffhanger is pretty obvious to point it, but even so, I can confirm it. And believe me, the next time you see him, it would be with something extremely epic.

+ Thruth is, "SHIELD Academy" has quite similarities with the old "Avengers Academy" and "Charles Xavier's Mutant School".
    + In Whizzer's old photos, I can recognize Miss America (Madelayne Joice), Bucky and the original Human Torch (the android, not the one from the 4F). Do you think we will see them in the future as teachers too? (I can confirm they won't be in the rest of this season, but they could appear in the next season at any time).
    + "Arnim Zola, pioneer in artificial inteligence and CLONING". There was several mentions to "clones" back in "Spider-Verse", and now we have a bad guy who knows about it. Somebody smells a future version of the "Clone Saga"? Maybe they are going to use Zola to replace the Jackal, or Doctor Octopus in the Ultimate Comics.
    + I really feel sad for Peter. He sacrified himself to avoid Cho's expulsion. (Good I know that point will be fixed in the future). This is the kind of behavior that made his Uncle Ben proud.

I forget to mention something. Some aspects of the episode reminded me the episode "Living Leyend" from "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes". You know, Arnim Zola's debut, as well as the attack of his creatures and the way the heroes defeated them.

But there is one big glitch here. In all previous version, "Synthezoids" is the word used for very advanced androids, like the Vision and the android Human Torch. These creatures are more like Doughboy's counterparts in this series.

#5 Roxas_Sora, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
  6. Eldorado

Eldorado Active Member

The only gripe I have with this episode was that Cho didn't even thank Peter for taking the blame for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Hmm. I liked that the humor was actually toned down for once, and yet somehow, the episode was still really bland. Zola never came across as a threat.
    The dialogue just needs to get better.

8. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

I'm in agreement with others here, Cho acted dumb, and Peter took too much heat for it.