1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "Contest of Champions, Parts 1-4" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Oct 3, 2015.

?

Rate and Discuss this Four-Part Event!

1. *****

50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

25.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new Ultimate Spider-Man adventure tonight at 9:00PM (ET) on Disney XD! Tune in for the first part of the epic four-part season finale! Contest of Champions, Round One - Fight!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "Contest of Champions, Part One"
    Episode Debut - October 3rd, 2015
    Directed by: Tim Maltby
    Written by: Thomas F. Zahler

Spider-Man, the Avengers, and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. battle their greatest foes for the fate of the planet. Spider-Man is chosen to be the chief game piece of the Collector against the Grandmaster who seeks to submit the Earth and once again humiliate his brother.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Additionally, please use spoiler space when discussing upcoming "Contest of Champions" installments that have yet to officially debut on DisneyXD, Ultimate Spider-Man's home network. Don't ruin it for those checking out these episodes out for the first time! Disciplinary action will be taken if necessary. Let's have fun and enjoy this Ultimate Spider-Man event!

2. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

No they are not doing a Secret Wars storyline.

"That's so Kraven."

Haha.

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

#2 trance2009, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good start to a new story-arc. The idea is decent, a little too cliche but kind of consistent with all the other stuff that happened on the show. Neat introduction for the Grandmaster and his sibling rivalry with the Collector was handled pretty well, though some of their dialogue could have been better. Spidey being the Collector's secret weapon was to be expected since this is his show, after all. Nice little team-up with Iron Man and Hulk, even if it didn't last too long.

I enjoyed Spidey's solo battles with the Abomination, Beetle & Skurge the Executioner, and then later on with Kraven the Hunter, Molten Man & the Wendigo King. I especially liked how Molten Man was defeated. Kraven was pretty impressive this time, managing to lead the other two villains and taking down the Hulk. The way Spidey tried playing the villains against each other was predictable, but I appreciated that at least Kraven saw through it.

All in all, not bad. I'm hoping the other episodes will be at least as entertaining as this was and the story won't be as repetitive as other previous stories.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My opinions and comments about the episode:
    + I have to say, seeing Abomination (Hulk's nemesis) against Spider-Man was really anti-climatic, and a way too unfair fight. By the way, when did he get the new look? Does this story happen before or after "Hulk and the Agents of SMASH"? I mean, his last appearance in SMASH, he was depowered by the Ghost Rider. If this happened after SMASH, how did he recover his powers?
    + Speaking of which, this story apparently seems to happen after the Collector's episodes in the Hulk's series. Spidey recognized the Collector's ship ("The Collector"), and the Collector appears to be kinda "reformed" ("It's a Wonderful SMASH", by the Orb of Truth). So why did Hulk appear with his "Avengers" pants instead of his "SMASH" pants?
    + Another clue of that, Hulk recognized the Wendigo King. (Nice one for Spidey to mention Wolverine after seeing him). By the way, how did he return in the first place after his apparent "destruction" in Hulk's series? Did the Grandmaster resurrect him or what?
    + According to their "board", it looks like there are 14 heroes against 14 villains, and 28 innocent civilians. But when they showed the heroes/villains in their "capsules", some of them doesn't fit or appear in the board. Any idea of how many players are in this game?
    + Between the civilians, maybe I'm wrong, but I believe Aunt May was between Coulson and... Norman Osborn? Call me paranoid, but I smell something "Goblinishy" around here.

+ It was very humilliating for Hulk and Iron Man being defeated so easily by Kraven and Molten Man. Looks like others heroes tend to understimate not only Spidey, but his foes too.
    + I really hate the Grandmaster. That jerk playing with earthlings as toys, and then threatening Aunt May's and others lives to obligate Spidey to play.
    + By the way, if anyone is interested, I recognized the pieces of each side in the board:
    - From the heroes' side (yellow): Ka-Zar, Power Man, Squirrel Girl, Agent Venom, White Tiger, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Black Widow, Cloak, Dagger, Captain America, Iron Spider and Iron Fist.
    - From the villains' side: Scorpio, Doctor Octopus, Wendigo, Skurge, Attuma, Absorving Man, Molten Man, Batroc the Leaper, Beetle, Abomination, MODOK, Klaw, Thundra and Mesmero.

Say whatever you want, but this arc promises to be "Ultimate"!!!

One more thing, I can't wait for spoilers next week on NYCC 2015!!!

5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a fun episode, and a good way to kickoff the Contest of Champions arc to close out the season. Hopefully the rest of the episodes in this arc are of the same quality and we can end this season on a good note :).

Though while it styles itself as a Contest of Champions adaption, there's quite a few elements from the classic Secret War story in there as well. We have some powerful, divine, cosmic entities plucking heroes and villains from Earth to compete for dominion over the world, though here the contest portion comes as a result of the Grandmaster's petty games with his brother the Collector. That kind of concept lends itself to being more like video game then an epic, sprawling story, but at the same time lends itself well to a lot of potential fun moments. Particularly for seeing a whole lot of characters together and fighting villains they might not necessarily would fight normally ;).

I got a decent chuckle at Spidey being so desperate he'd take even Hawkeye's help :p.

While the Collector still seems to view humans as "toys" that he doesn't want damaged, he at least seemed far more sympathetic to their plight and apologetic for having to put the heroes in this situation than the Grandmaster. I doubt it was his idea to use NYC civilians to make the heroes cooperate :mad:.

Continuity wise, I have no idea when this episode could possibly take place. We have Spider-Man and the Collector knowing each other, which seems to be a reference to the SMASH episode, and the Collector seems to have some of his character development from the same show, but we have Abomination out and about and in his classic look compared to the fully-clothed design he sported for SMASH. I know it probably doesn't pay to try and fit these shows into continuity, especially SMASH, but I can't help but think about it :confused:.

I have to wonder what was Grandmaster's criteria for picking out villains for his team...guys like Abomination and Beetle make sense, but a C-lister like Molten Man, while cool and powerful in his own way, seems like you're kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel. I guess it could be justified if Grandmaster picked out any villains that were under the New York forcefield, but I doubt Skurge and the King of the Wendigo's were in New York at the time it went up so that's probably not it o_O.

The first round was fairly nice, though Iron Man, Hulk, and Spidey were a little less oddball a team then Kraven, Wendigo, and Molten Man. It at least led to some interesting matchups and cool fight scenes, though it seemed like Hulk and Iron Man were taken out a fair bit too easily in my opinion. But I guess it would be a big blow to the heroes to lose two of their big guns so early on, which works well from a dramatic standpoint, and Hulk probably would've been better matched against Wendigo compared to someone as quick and wily as Kraven :(.

Spidey alone versus three Supervillains was a very exciting situation to see the Wall-Crawler go up against, and prove just how well he can pull through when the going gets tough. Of course, being he's our lead hero, and we can't have the heroes lose the first round, it wasn't that hard to guess that Spidey would come out with a win, but it was still entertaining to watch Spidey agonizing over being on his own and then doing the best he can to take out all three baddies. Obviously his knowing the layout of the field helped quite a bit, but his quick-witted plans and reflexes as well as his experience with the villains kept him in the game long enough to make a difference and let him score a win for the good guys :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Part 1 was actually a lot better than I was expecting. It was exciting, fast-paced, lame jokes were kept to a minimum, and it's fun seeing a whole bunch of heroes and villains from the current Marvel shows. We even got a nod to the Wendigo episode of SMASH.

I was also expecting the ending, with Spidey beating three opponents by himself, to be cheesy. But somehow, it all came across as possible.

Grandmaster is the kind of guy I'd hate to play against, always bragging.

My only complaints would be that Iron Man and Hulk seemed...a bit off, dialogue wise and action wise. They just looked pretty bad.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You'd think Tony would have been prepared for having his Armor melted down or being stuck in it, but for all we know he was counted out before he could do something to get out of that position o_O.

I guess Molten Man can at least be satisfied knowing that he, with maybe a little bit of direction from Kraven, actually managed to beat Iron Man :cool:.

I'm curious to see which heroes will continue forward with Spidey and which ones will get knocked out in the next round. I guess it's a given that none of the villains will :eek:.

Though while the lack of FF or X-Men in this is jarring, even if obviously it's because of the right issue, the lack of big name villains like Doom or Magento for the villains side is also disappointing since at least we've seen the former in the MAU before o_O.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Spiderman calling Skruge, Abomination and Beetle dumb made me die of laughter. I'm glad this show finally understands that Spiderman can be hilarious and not an idiot.

I loved this episode. Great action, writing and etc. Kraven beating Hulk rubbed me the wrong way but the Avengers always get bodied so that they can prove Spiderman is Ultimate Spiderman.

Tony getting beaten was great imo, his ego is always his biggest weakness.

I like it, I feel that when done correctly, character embargos make writers more creative rather than less.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Nice to see The Collector having grown from his encounters with Spider-Man and the Agents of SMASH. Seems like he's become more compassionate

10. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

All in all I thought the idea for the story was pretty good, but the execution... yeah, not so much. Though that's kind'a expected.

Mod Note: post edited to hide massive spoilers.

#10 Troy Troodon, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2015
  11. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Mod Note: Added spoiler tags. Please, don't do this again.

#11 TheVileOne, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2015
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

You must have missed the big red note I left in the opening post. Don't post stuff like that without spoiler tags if the episodes haven't aired in the US yet.

This goes for everybody. Disciplinary action will be taken if it happens again.

#12 RoyalRubble, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Okay, thanks for letting me know.

14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Check out a new Ultimate Spider-Man adventure tonight at 9:00PM (ET) on Disney XD! Tune in for the second part of the epic four-part season finale! Contest of Champions, Round Two - Fight!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "Contest of Champions, Part Two"
    Episode Debut - October 10th, 2015
    Directed by: Kalvin Lee
    Written by: Matt Wayne

In the second game, Spider-Man is partnered with Captain America, Red Hulk, and Iron Fist in a game of capture the flag against Sandman, Blastaar and Ymir. For the third game, Spider-Man is partnered with Power Man, Black Widow, and Skaar against Doctor Octopus, Absorbing Man, and Zzzax in a game of last team standing. Things become a problem when the Grandmaster starts changing the environment of the game.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Additionally, please use spoiler space when discussing upcoming "Contest of Champions" installments that have yet to officially debut on DisneyXD, Ultimate Spider-Man's home network. Don't ruin it for those checking out these episodes out for the first time! Disciplinary action will be taken if necessary. Let's have fun and enjoy this Ultimate Spider-Man event!

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Another solid entry in this four-parter, with high stakes, great action, and some nice character moments all wrapped into one ;).

Y'know, I have to really wonder what the Grandmaster was thinking with some of his decisions in this episode. I mean, the constant cheating by changing up the game, vagueness of the rules for the contest, and his sheer arrogance is one thing, but the fact that he kept under-manning his team of villains in each round seems pretty stupid. For a four-man team in the second round, he uses two villains, for another four-man team in the third round, he uses three villains. Does that seem like an effective strategy? Pitting your team against bigger odds? I guess he just assumed that the villains were generally stronger than the heroes and would make up for the difference, or maybe he's saving up villains, but it still seems like a bad move o_O.

And that's not even getting into the poor sportsmanship of his constantly changing the environment and stakes just to throw off the heroes, despite however much it makes the Contest more interesting, though luckily Spidey managed to still turn the tables in the heroes favor. Poor Collector tried to help too in his own way, only to make things worse for the heroes :oops:.

I think this is the most acknowledgment of SMASH we've seen in the MAU since the show ended, from Red Hulk and Skaar popping up, the team being referenced and even references to their fights with Ymir and Blastarr. And I think Red and Skaar both looked way better with Ultimate's animated style then they did in their actual cartoon. Plus Red seemed way more tolerable in this episode then he ever did in SMASH in my opinion. We even got him shirtless for the original Rulk look :).

Although the heroes' team is probably better off now without Skaar, honestly :p.

I'm kinda wondering how long Spidey can keep this up. He's been Collector's ace Hero since the Contest started, but even he noted that he's barely had a chance to rest since this whole thing started and now he's survived three rounds with a fourth on the way. If I were the Grandmaster, I'd probably capitalize on how exhausted Spider-Man probably is by now :eek:.

Round 2 was pretty fun, and it was nice seeing Sandman again after so long and referencing his anti-villain status, though it was weird that we never got to see his human form once. Blastarr was also a nice surprise since he's an FF villain, and seeing any of them is always a surprise considering the rights issue. Cap leading the group very effectively was also a great moment :D.

I never thought we needed Captain Marvel in the MAU more desperately then we do now, but when Black Widow can somehow effectively take on the Absorbing Man without breaking a sweat, then the writers are really starting to stretch her abilities. Especially when she can punch and kick him when he's absorbed a substance hard enough to deflect Skaar's sword without breaking any bones. I mean, seriously!? Not only that, but she's the first hero other than Spidey to survive past a round, which feels weird and unearned, especially when Cap would probably have been a better choice to survive. Just Black Widow's whole contribution in this episode really took me out of it :rolleyes:.

But round three was still decent, especially with the additions of Doc Ock and Zzzax. Zzzax was nice since we haven't seen him since early season one, and he proved to be very effective in this episode. And Doc Ock's single-minded obsession with killing Spidey and their tussle was really exciting to watch. Though, honestly, once he got hold of Aunt May I was kind expecting he'd actually flirt with her a little more then just threaten her considering their relations in the comic (and how they usually interact in animation), but Aunt May headbutting him was pretty awesome :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

I love the Contest of Champions arc. Its an a great concept with great execution and is fun to watch. Grandmaster is such a good villain, cocky and devious while remaining a threat.

While Black Widow beating Absorbing Man ( and I'm a huge Widow fan) is a bit unrealistic, I'm glad the heroes who aren't Spiderman finally have some semblance of competence.

I know the show is called Ultimate Spiderman but the way Capt lost was depressing along with the way Skarr and Power Man. At least Red Hulk had some great action scenes and dialogue.

Anyway, great use of teams and I loved seeing how the heroes and villains interacted with one another.

Edit: Anyone else feel bad for Sandman? I wouldn't consider him a villain, just confused and hurt. He's not outright evil like Blastarr, Doc Ock or Absorbing Man.

• Like Like x 2
    #16 Capt.Traphouse, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  17. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow, they somehow managed to fit in two battles.

Anyway, pretty good episode, but I preferred part one overall. I do think Spider-Man's teammates had more to do this time, though.

I keep laughing whenever Grandmaster taunts Collector, though. So far, Collector's teams have won every single round. How is Grandmaster still gloating?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I think I liked this episode more than the previous part. Spidey teaming up with characters from the other "shared universe" Marvel cartoons is nice, and the mix of villains is pretty good, too. It's too bad the heroes were taken out so easily just to reinforce the idea that Spidey is the "ultimate" hero and star of the show. It's understandable, but still kind of disrespectful to the other characters. Great that Black Widow appeared, and was used rather well. I'd say she probably did more in this episode than in the majority of episodes of Avengers Assemble, where she's supposed to be one of the main characters. Her fight with Absorbing Man was kind of unrealistic but it was pretty entertaining so I didn't really mind that much.

The villains were decent, it was great seeing Doc Ock again, as well as the other bad guys assembled here even if some didn't really do that much. The scene between Spidey, Doc Ock and Aunt May was pretty awesome. None of the other villains really left an impression on me this time. Plus having Sandman once again on the villains' side was disappointing. Overall, a good episode and it will be interesting to see how things will play out in the next parts.

19. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Couldn't they have, I don't know, had Widow dodging and avoiding Absorbing Man while blasting him with her stingers? Maybe maneuver him into falling off the building and into the sea? That would've made more sense from both a logical and character standpoint instead of seeing her actually being able to effect him with a punch and a kick :rolleyes:.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. FTPC

FTPC Member

I would like to see The Punisher in some spider-man-web-warriors Episodes perhaps next week and I like How they kept the Voice of Scar the same from the Hulk's/ Agents of smash cartoon