1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "Ant-Man" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jul 21, 2015.

?

Rate and Comment on this episode of "Ultimate Spider-Man"

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Tuesday means an all-new Spidey adventure! Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man tonight on Disney XD. This time, the Spider-Man teams up with the Ant-Man as they embark on a Fantastic Voyage homage!

[​IMG]

Ultimate Spider-Man: Web Warriors "Ant-Man"

Episode Debut - July 21st, 2015
    Directed by:
    Roy Burdine
    Written by: Tom Pugsley

Spider-Man and Ant-Man must shrink down to miniature size in a special submarine to rid Nick Fury's body of nanobots implanted by Doc Ock.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My opinions:
    1º) Doc Ock's nanobots: I have to say this was one of the parts that called my attention the most. I'm quite surprised that Ock didn't just made Octo-Bots in this episode, but also robots based on other villains. Their look was peculiar:
    + The Octo-Bots: You know, they didn't look like Octo-Bots entirely. If it wasn't because they had six legs instead of eight, they almost looked like spiders. He could have painted them like Venom to make it more interesting, don't you think?
    + The Lizard-Bots: They had the Lizard's head, right; but their bodies didn't look like the Lizard's at all. In fact, they looked muck more like Scorpio-Bots than Lizard-Bots. They had six legs, pincers and a powerful tail. Just like they could combine Octo-Bots with Venom.
    + The Beetle-Bots: Not much to say. I believe Ock simply stole some of the Beetle's technology to create this. The Beetle also had Beetle-Bots in his first appearance in "Beetlemania".
    + The Goblin-Bots: Considering the relationship between Ock and the Goblin, it surprised me he used his design. They were practically the Goblin-Glider but designed to look like tarantulas or something.

In fact these robots made me suspect something. Maybe we will see these robots again in the future, but in bigger versions; as I believe these robots could become the future models of... THE SPIDER-SLAYERS!!!! The scene where they combined together almost confirmed it, as it made me remember the combination of the first three Spider Slayers (Black Widow, Tarantula and Scorpion) back in the 90's animated series. I posted some time ago a potential spoiler related to the Spider Slayers' debut in the series, so don't you think this is highly possible?

*By the way, I read about some comics of "Ultimate Spider-Man - Infinite Comic" where the six first issues were about the debut of Spencer Smythe, his Spider-Slayers and his alliance to J Jonah Jameson. This could even increase the chances and turn these comics into a new animated episode in the next season.

2º) Power Man finally get a new outfit this episode, which is the same one I discovered back in the trading cards I posted some time ago. With this, now all the original members (Nova, Iron Fist, Power Man and White Tiger) have been "upgraded", and all the spoilers I found from the trading card game have been confirmed. Well, except one. There's a card of Jack O'Lantern where it flies on a different platform than the one from the Halloween Special; one way more technological. So it's possible that we will see this character again in the future, even without Morgan LeFay.

*In the comics I mentioned previously ("Ultimate Spider-Man - Infinite Comic"), the preview of the first issue showed Spidey fighting Jack O'Lantern after he robbed a bank or something. This really improves the chances that I'm right.

3º) It's quite funny that Amadeus designed the Spider-Bot because he was bored, just like he designed Power Man's new outfit. (Well, if he's going to be a spider, he definetely needs to know how to sew). The Spider-Bot looked cool, but not enough to be used regularly by Spidey and his team. I would really like to see Spidey using his Spider-Tracers again.

4º) A few little details more:
    + Ant-Helmet for Spidey was quite cool. He could use it to talk to spiders, as he has done it in the comics a few times. Don't you think?
    + Spidey's comment "try something fantastic" called my attention. Do you think it was a reference to the Fantastic Four? They have donde things like this several times, actually.
    + Nick Fury burping and Amadeus Cho saying Spidey makes him sick... I almost killed myself laughing without control!!! Not to mention when Spidey made him act like a fool in a videogame. But it was quite cool to see Fury using spider-moves.
    + My only complaint about the episode, the Wasp should have appeared here too.

Well, what do you say?

3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty decent episode. The plot wasn't that original (there has been at least one more Fantastic Voyage homage in a Marvel cartoon over the years), but it worked. It was nice seeing Doctor Octopus again, for the few scenes he appeared in. I think I would have preferred if the story focused more on capturing him rather than the curing Nick Fury plot, but it was expected considering the guest-star of the episode. Interesting that Ant-Man's identity was never mentioned and he didn't remove his helmet either at all during the episode - this story was probably made before his Scott Lang identity was revealed over on Avengers Assemble, or it's just another case of inconsistency between the two shows.

The spider-bot submarine was pretty nice. Doc Ock's bots were decent but their designs were kind of ridiculous. I did like the giant one they formed towards the end though. Luke Cage/Power Man's new Power Suit looks exactly like his old one, or at least I didn't notice any huge differences. The plot worked for the most part but some of the dialogue could still be better and most of the jokes were pretty lame. Spidey making Nick Fury dance like a fool while trying to alert the others was a little too silly, as was the scene where he made him burp. I admit I liked the "other right eye" gag, and while not a joke I liked the technique Iron Fist used to slow down Fury's heartbeat. Wish that was explained better.

All in all, not bad. It was inevitable Ant-Man would guest-star here as well, in addition to becoming a new member of the Avengers. I just wish they could have come up with a better story for him.

I figured it was more of a nod to Fantastic Voyage, than to the Fantastic Four.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh! I was hoping it was an FF reference, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised :(.

I thought this was a decent episode. Not one I'd say I really enjoyed, and based around a fairly overused type of plot, but certainly not one I'd call bad. Though the central premise hinged on an idea that I had a little trouble getting behind...why would SHIELD house dangerous Supervillains like Doc Ock in the Triskellion, when it's their ground base and home to the SHIELD Academy? Doesn't that put their staff and students at risk? Well, just as much as keeping them on The Tri-carrier does. Now that I think about it, isn't SMASH the only MAU show to really delve into a Supervillain prison with The Vault o_O?

It was nice seeing Ock again, and his plan was pretty effective even if I'm not sure how he was able to get those nanobots in Fury while he was locked up. I wish we could've seen Nova's team beating him, especially since I was curious to see how Nova would handle a leadership role. Then again, maybe it's for the best we didn't see it since I have little to no confidence in Sam as a leader :p.

Ant-Man being the main Avengers guest-star in this was cool, as well as seeing him make his USM debut and interact with Spidey, and he served the plot quite well and got some good scenes in. Spidey deriding him for his powers seemed odd and out-of-character, but thankfully wasn't too much of an issue during the episode. Though Ant-Man as portrayed here seemed like more of an experienced and confident hero and Avenger compared to how he's portrayed on Assemble right now, which fits with how he was shown in his debut episode in Assemble, so I think it's safe to go with Royal Rubble's theory that this episode was made before Ant-Man's personality and identity were worked out :confused:.

So now with Luke's new costume, all of the old Team have new looks, not that the changes to Power Man's suit are all that noticeable. I had to squint just to notice that it resembled his modern costume more...but it was nice to see him and most of Spidey's old Team getting in on the action more and having quite a few lines, especially considering how much they'd been sidelined this season :).

Ock's bots being based off various Sinister Six members was cool, and that they could combine into a giant robot was both surprising and pretty awesome :cool:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well that was what I thought, anyway. I'm not stating that as a fact or anything since I have no idea what the writers were aiming for. It might just be an allusion to the F4. Would be nice if they actually pop up someday on USM, not only Ben Grimm/The Thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Every fantasy show is entitled to a Fantastic Voyage plot. So here's Ultimate Spider-Man's. That's how I felt watching it and how I felt at the end of it. The design on the nanobots was pretty neat and Doctor Octopus hasn't shown up in a while.

I agree with Royal on Ant-Man, though. He's really bland and could be either Hank or Scott, which is too bad because Paul Rudd's performance was a character defining portrayal. Here, he just feels very unimpressive as a generic science hero. At least, Assemble got play up his naivete and goofiness and made him stand out.

7. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I enjoyed getting a Spider-Man and Ant-Man team-up, even if it is this universe's version of Scott Lang, and I would prefer Hank Pym. I also enjoyed the Fantastic Voyage references.

It reminded me of a classic Super Friends episode where Aquaman is turned into a shark and the other heroes are shrunken down to save him.

Also a second season Iron Man: TAS episode had Iron Man shrinking down to save Hawkeye. And of course Batman: Brave and the Bold, with Atom and Aquaman having to shrink to save Batman from Chemo's infection.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For Marvel animation, I think the "Antibody" episode from Silver Surfer TAS also counts as a Fantastic Voyage tribute, even though the Surfer didn't need to shrink to enter Galactus' body there.

9. Lamel2g

Lamel2g Member

These last couple of episodes have been pretty bad to me. They are not entertaining, the dialog in particular is awful. I hope the next couple of episodes are an improvement of what I've seen so far since the new episodes started airing.

10. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

The best is yet to come, pal.