1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Miles From Home" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Feb 28, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

25.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

25.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! Featuring Miles Morales, the one true Ultimate Spidey! Also guest-starring Doctor Strange!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Miles From Home"
    Episode Debut - February 28th, 2016
    Directed by: Roy Burdine
    Written by: Kevin Burke & Chris "Doc" Wyatt

When Doc Ock and Baron Mordo use the Siege Perilous to pull in the Goblin from another universe, Spider-Man enlists the help of Miles Morales and Doctor Strange to try to keep reality from collapsing.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

I'm shocked to see another casualty in Season 4. (This time it was Baron Mordo. Making this literally his only appearance in the MAU.)

Also, nice Japanese Spider-Man mech cameo. ^_^

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

Given how he "died" Mordo could have been sent to another reality.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ChessKing

ChessKing Active Member

I was surprised to see that this version of Miles still has his Mother and lost his farther while in the comics it was the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

... Huh. This episode was, actually rather profound.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a really good and enjoyable episode, with some great action sequences and character moments, and did a nice job reintroducing Miles into the show and sticking him with the main cast while still developing the ongoing seasonal plot :).

Though I really didn't need to see both Peter and Miles speaking to the audience at the beginning. That's not something I think needs to be associated with Spider-Man's of any dimension :rolleyes:.

I really liked getting to see more of Miles' life and to actually get to see his family. Rio being alive, while Jefferson is dead, and knowing Miles was Spider-Man was a big surprise, though I wonder if part of the reason they did that was to mirror Aunt May's status in Peter's dimension? We even had Miles getting a cake for his mom as a contrast to Peter forgetting to get Aunt May a cake in the pilot ;).

But it was still really neat to see Rio in animation, and Maria-Canals Barrera was perfect casting, though Jefferson apparently being a police officer on Miles' world, while fitting for another "Uncle Ben" for Miles, was a big surprise given comic Jefferson :sweat:.

I was also kinda hoping we'd see more of what Miles' world was like and how it was different from Peter, though there was one interesting tidbit when Miles mentioned his world also had a Doctor Octopus. But seeing Miles interacting with Rio did do a good job of conveying how important his life there was, which made his sacrifcing his chance to go back home and his last scene with Rio all the more poignant...

Liam O'Brien as Dr. Strange, with all due respect to Jack Coleman's performance in earlier MAU appearances, was amazing. Just some really great casting there, almost to the point where I'm surprised O'Brien had never played Strange before this episode. Strange also had a pretty good showing in this episode, with some nice action sequences and character moments. I hope O'Brien stays on as Strange's new VA, because I think he really owned the role in this one appearance :cool:.

Mordo was also pretty good, with a nice adaption his classic design and a solid performance by Danny Jacobs. I thought the show used him fairly effectively, and he had some nice interplay with Stephen and Goblin/Ock. I really hope they didn't actually kill him off, because that would feel like such a waste to do in his first appearance :(.

The Spider-Knight and Noir cameos were neat, though I was expecting a few more cameos and maybe a surprise or too, but holy crud was that an animated Leopardon? Awesome :D!

So...is Ock now leading Hydra in place of Zola, who's still stuck in space? Or is Zola already back, given there seems to have been a little time-skip from the premier given the Triskellion has been repaired? It seems like Ock is using Hydra resources given Mordo was working for him, but obviously he has his own agenda separate from Hydra's that is more focused on killing Spider-Man o_O.

And now, after losing out on changing Osborn again, Doc Ock has his Goblin general in Ultimate Gobin. Rather then try and control him, which would likely not work given how much stronger Ultimate Goblin is from his normal counterpart, Ock appeals to this Goblin's hatred of Spider-Man to become partners in destroying him. So now we have member #2 of the Sinister Six.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

My personal comments:
    + I have to say, I didn't expected to see Baron Mordo as a member of Hydra. Then again, his colors match classic Hydra: Green, Yellow and Black.

+ It's Baron Mordo dead? Don't bet on it. I suspect what the Ultimate Goblin did to him somehow "scattered" him through dimensions. And I bet that, in future episodes, this will end into "Spider-verse II". If I'm right, and I hope to be, I hope "Spider-Verse II" will allow us to meet in detail the new "Robo Spider". It seems inspired on Leopardon or the Spider-Bot of Armor Spider in 90's series. I hope we will see Spyder-Knight and Spider-Noir again too. They made a good representation of the "Web of Realities", anyway.

+ This episode had a lot of interesting serious moments. Miles is now trapped in another reality and it was a really sad way to say goodbye to his mom.

+ It was an interesting twist in Miles' history being a little different from comics. His mom is alive, his dad was a cop and apparently, he died in act of service. So I guess we could say Rio Morales is like Miles' Aunt May. Do you think they are maybe giving us clues of what is going to happen to Miles is All New All Different Marvel?

+ One observation, I suspect his dad died recently. Because in his last appearance, when Peter visited his world, Miles said "We are not ghosts, right? Because if I'm dead, my mom and dad are going to kill me". Funny apart, that phrase seems to mean that his dad was alive in that moment. So, it's obvious he died between these episodes.

+ One interesting point that should be explored in the season. Miles and Peter's world are almost the same. Therefore, don't you think there might be a Miles Morales in the mainstream reality too? I think that would be interesting to explore. And another thing, it seems this episode was influenced by Spider-Men, because while it was day on Miles' world, it was night on Peter's world.

+ The Ultimate Green Goblin is a real monster at all levels, willing to destroy a whole universe because of Spider-Man. As far as this beast is on the loose, I'm not going to be calm. I'm pretty sure he will betray Octavius at some point. Another thing, if mainstream Norman Osborn has really reformed (which I really doubt) and he's going to use the Iron Patriot armor again, then it will be very interesting to see Norman as the Iron Patriot fighting the Ultimate Goblin, don't you think? Ultimate Goblin said Main Goblin was a false Goblin because he wasn't as powerful as him in Goblin form. So, I don't think he will be interested in turning his alternative self into a weak Goblin again.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Roxas_Sora, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2016
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Great episode, and I think they figured out an interesting way to bring Miles Morales and the Ultimate Goblin back into the story.

I was surprised by what happened to Mordo. That being said, he might still be alive. It seemed he was still alive after he was broken to pieces, but those pieces disappeared. So if they wanted he could still be alive but in hundreds of pieces and scattered across the Multiverse.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

Yeah, like I said, that's esactly what I suspect. And I believe this will end giving us another arc of "Spider-Verse".

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This episode was really good. I mean...really good. A lot better than the opening two-parter, even.

Miles still comes across as really likable (offering to vacuum for his mom was sweet), and I prefer his new voice actor.

I love how Green Goblin just completely owns Mordo and Ock. What was Mordo thinking, telling another villain that he "owned" him? Hah, he deserved what he got (and some extra points for a possible fatality).

Most of the jokes were actually really funny, and none of them were cringe-worthy or anything. Even the "speaking to the audience" scene at the start led to a really good joke.

I suppose the only weak link for me may have been Dr. Strange. He was only really here for exposition.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

I thought he sounded slightly younger. Actually I kind'a saw this coming, as Marvel's per usual attempts to be more in sync with the cinematic universe, particularly with Benedict Cumberbath's take on the Doctor in this case, hence the re-casting.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I don't know if that's the exact reason, as honestly I felt O'Brien's Stephen sounded older (or maybe wiser) then Coleman's, and we haven't really had any indication of what Benedict Cumberbatches Dr. Strange performance will be like because the movie is still filming.

Given Jack Coleman may have been filming Heroes Reborn while they were recording for season 4, it could've been that he wasn't able to reprise his role for this episode because of a scheduling conflict.

Though if Strange is going to have a more consistent recurring role in the cartoons, likely to tie-in to his upcoming movie, getting a more experienced VA to take over the role would make sense. Just like what they did with Miles :).

13. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Great episode. Good to see that even in the third episode that Otto doesn't give a crap about HYDRA and is using them to get to Spider-man.

Demon Goblin is cool and that was a great fight scene. The way he destroyed Mordo was actually shocking, I didn't think they would actually show him die.

Humor was on point as others mentioned, the writing for Ultimate Spiderman is really getting good. It seems on par or better with 3 so far.

• Like Like x 2
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was one of the better episodes from this show. I liked how they presented Miles Morales and the story they came up with to bring him back. The scenes with him in his own dimension were good and it was nice how they mirrored some aspects of our own Spidey's life. The ending with Miles getting stuck in our dimension (at least for the time being) and having to say goodbye to his mother was pretty emotional. I'm sure he'll manage to make it back, but I'm guessing it will take a while. Looking forward to how Miles will interact with the other Web Warriors, he seemed to be doing fine at the end of the episode.

Other than Miles, the Demon Goblin was a good adversary and provided some nice action scenes. And since he's still in our dimension as well and his little talk with Doc Ock, it should be obvious we haven't seen the last of him. It will be interesting to see how things will play out in the future.

Doctor Strange was a neat guest-star, and I liked his new voice actor. I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of him either, so I'm really looking forward to his next appearances. His "spell-ing bee" with Baron Mordo in this episode was pretty awesome. Mordo was a nice surprise, I wasn't expecting him to appear or for him to be working for Hydra. His death scene was handled pretty well, a nice shocking moment but I agree he'll most likely return thanks to the multiple dimensions gimmick.

All in all, a great episode. Good action scenes, the humor worked, a pretty interesting story and some touching moments regarding Miles. Plus, those cameos of alternate Spideys which seem to be hinting at another visit to the Spider-Verse.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

I liked it a lot (it was a pretty good day for me watching Marvel shows). I'm not digging how much Miles seems like Peter, as far as humor goes, now but it wasn't to a degree that annoyed me. I've never been the biggest fan of Jefferson so I don't mind seeing that he died a hero and Rio was around to be a supportive parent to her son. It sucks that he got stuck in Peter's world but at least Miles got to say goodbye for the time being. The Mordo send-off felt brutal, especially seeing his eyes in the shattered pieces practically crippled with fear (maybe I'm overthinking it). I'm not a bloodthirsty guy but it just helps make the world feel real to me when there are consequences like this.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk.

• Like Like x 2
  16. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

I really want donald glover to be miles again....

17. Dudley

Dudley Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Miles saying goodbye to his mom was the highlight of the episode for me. I thought it was really sweet.
    Mordo getting blown up was pretty intense. I did not expect to see a giant robot Spider-Man. I hope we go on another trip through dimensions just to see more of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Well, that's one way to bring back the Goblin without completely undoing the best story arc in the series. Other than that, a pretty good episode. Both Spider-Men played off each other well and the humor actually had more hits than misses! Some nice character beats and serious stakes.

• Agree Agree x 1