1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Graduation Day, Parts 1-2" Series Finale Talkback (Spoiler)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jan 7, 2017.

?

Rate & Discuss the series finale for "Ultimate Spider-Man"!

1. *****

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. ****1/2

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. ***

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dank

Dank Member

Good point. Actually I think I would have had more of an impact if Osborn was the one to cure Ock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Scrappy-Fan92

Scrappy-Fan92 Well-Known Member

The end of an era, folks. The Marvel television series with the highest episode count comes to a close. This finale did what most good finales do and raised the stakes while tying up most of the loose ends (and true, lack of Coulson and Jameson hurt). After the multi-dimensional foes Spider-Man faced in past episodes, choosing Dr. Octopus as the final boss seems a little odd, although he definitely had the most impact in this show. Spidey's various teammates praising him got a bit heavy-handed at points, but it's a nice way to show that they've bonded and consider each other friends, which is a definite improvement to everyone in this show kicking Spidey around. I was worried that Vulture would be left as a slave to Ock, but the writers got the job done (this is the benefit of action shows not getting cancelled partway through: actual resolution). Ending with Spider-Man and Fury was nice.

Ultimate Spider-Man, a show with many flaws, but with writers who, in my view, rose to the challenge and steadily improved the series. For that, they have my undying gratitude and respect. May they find success in whatever show they work on next. The voice cast I grew to love also. Drake Bell is a great Spider-Man and I hope he can reprise in a video game one day. Chi McBride is Nick Fury as far as I'm concerned, and Tom Kenny gave a chilling performance as Dr. Octopus. And before I stop gushing, I just want to give the writers props for giving life to Scarlet Spider (who I didn't think was going to ever appear in a cartoon again) and Agent Venom. So long and farewell, Ultimate Spider-Man. You've come a long way :).

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I'm glad Tom Kenny got to play Doctor Octopus and show his versatility with this role, but also we got to see Doctor Octopus change a lot over the course of the show. He starts as a broken wreck of a mad scientist, but by the end he's closer to Ultimate Doctor Octopus and a couple steps away from being Superior Doctor Octopus. Though I'm glad they stopped short of making him a vigilante or doing a Superior Spider-Man arc.

In the comics, there's always a precedent at times for Doctor Octopus not being a complete curmudgeon and even lending Spider-Man a hand in order to help save innocent lives. It just depends on his mood.

• Like Like x 3
  4. wickedmountain

There is a new spider man show coming on this spring I believe it said saw it on Disney XD's twitter page.

via tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  6. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I finally got around to watching. Not perfect, but it had enough good moments that I can safely call it a solid ending.

My main gripes were some plot holes/conveniences, the silly-looking giant form Doc Ock used at the end, and the villains mostly going down too easily. Also, Norman, despite a big role, got a weird send off. Like, he shouts a threat at Ock and then vanishes?

But I liked that the writers tried to give all of Spider-Man's teammates a role (even the original four, who has basically been forgotten), wrap up loose ends even I had forgotten (Honestly, I forgot the whole Rhino was being controlled thing), and we even got some sweetly sentimental moments (Aunt May's present being helpful was nice, and as other have mentioned, the callback to season 1 with the cake and Fury finally accepting Spidey as the ULTIMATE Spider-Man worked well).

Doc Ock possibly being reformed was really pushing things, and Crossbones was forced in, but...still. One of the better two parters.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Y'know, it's always going to bother me that not once this season did the show ever have Captain America acknowledge the return of Arnim Zola :sad:.

I know this isn't Cap's show, I know he was just a recurring guest star, and I know this is just really nitpicky of me, but it just doesn't feel right that we had one of Steve's most notable villains return from the dead and never once see him address or learn about it. Which is all the more glaring considering the semi-prominent role Zola and Hydra played this season o_O.

Although I guess, all things being equal, we'll never see Spidey, Coulson, or any of his teammates reacting to Beetle now being a good guy, so squandering juicy plot points for a supposed shared continuity is at least consistent for Marvel Animation :shrug:....

Looking back, this show did use a lot of Cap villains overall...Batroc, Zola, Hydra, and Crossbones. I'm honestly surprised Spidey never tangled with Red Skull :sweat:.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShadowBeast

ShadowBeast Well-Known Member

I think the only thing that bugged me about the finale was the constant praising Spider-man kept getting. He even got a big head about the thought about being better than Captain America. Otherwise it was a great finale.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Well it had a decent run. Now on to the real Spidey.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  10. TheVileOne

Reporter

Which is what exactly? What if you like this new show less? I'm just confused what will make the new show more of a "real" Spider-Man than this one.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Well, from the sounds of it we're going to getting a classic and more traditional Spider-Man cartoon, presumably a little truer to the comics, then USM was for a good portion of it's run.

Whether one regards a certain take as more "real" or not, we do seem to be going to a more back-to-basics Spider-Man.

12. TheVileOne

Reporter

What will make it more traditional though? Ultimate Spider-Man was pretty true to the comics, other than he got to become a leader of his own superhero team as a teenager. Obviously, there were deviations with characters and other subplots, but it looks like this new show will have Spider-Man teaming up with other alternate Spiders as well.

To me something more traditional would be akin to the 1990s series. If there's going to be an equal focus on AU Miles and Gwen teaming up with him, IMHO that's not traditional Spider-Man.

13. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I truly hope we will see this Spidey in the other series, possibly "Avengers - Secret Wars". And I wish the news about an animated Spider-Island will happen in this continuity.

14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Or Spectacular Spider-Man, which directly preceded USM...

I don't think an over-emphasis on Peter leading multiple team's of teenage Superheroes while also working for SHIELD and using a teched-out, SHIELD issue, Web-Shooter and Spider-Cycle, his traditional supporting cast playing minor roles more often then not, while focusing more on the Spider-Man side then Peter Parker, is very true to the comics.

USM tried to do a lot of new things and spins on the property, some maybe working out better then others, but it was also pretty far from what Spider-Man is like in the comics or in most cartoons.

We don't know exactly what Miles and Gwen's role in the new cartoon is going to be outside of their appearances on merchandise, and from all accounts the new series is meant to be a more back-to-basics and traditional Spider-Man series then USM was.

15. PapaGreg

PapaGreg Peppermint tea for me

Giving us Peter Parker instead of Ben 10

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

It's a different interpretation of Spider-Man, the same way Batman '66 is for Batman.

17. PapaGreg

Its an interpetation that I come to despise, at least 66 Batman was based on Silver Age comics this one is basically Ben Tennyson with Spider powers

18. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

Despise? Kind of harsh, don't you think? :sweat:

Regardless, it's still a different interpretation. (Plus, the show is more about Peter maturing yet still being an optimistic individual who tries to redeem his enemies. It's a progressive Spider-Man instead of angsty one.) It's harmless.

19. PapaGreg

Spec Spiderman had all of that and we still didnt endure Peter Tennyson

20. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I will say that, barring a few boneheaded moves every now and again, USM!Peter later on did not have the consistent lapses of judgement and responsibility that defined Ben Tennyson over the years :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1