1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Force of Nature" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 10, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

66.7%
  2. ****1/2

33.3%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! This week, Hydro-Man is unleashed!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Force of Nature"
    Episode Debut - April 10th, 2016
    Directed by: Roy Burdine
    Written by: Gavin Hignight

After receiving a mysterious signal from an unknown base, Spider-Man traces it to an abandoned building in the hopes of finding Nick Fury and accidentally releases Hydro-Man into New York City.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

"You won't like what you see." Takes off his mask and has a really small scar on his face but otherwise looks perfectly normal. Talk about being overdramatic.

Like with Sandman this show does a good job taking these powerful characters who are under unilized in the comics but aren't and make them serous threats. It's easy to understand why they are in special prisons.

Pretty good episode, it shows how far this show has came. In season one Spiderman probably would have freed Hydroman because he was looking for a quite place all to himself of something stupid like that. Here he was searching for Nick Fury.

• Like Like x 3
    #2 Dragnatek, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  3. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Scarlet Spider was the star of this story as far as I'm concerned. His scenes with Aunt May were great, a nice surprise since the episode seemed to be only about the Web Warriors fighting Hydro-Man. Character development like this is always welcome on the show. It was neat seeing Scarlet learn more about Peter's upbringing, plus we get to see his scarred face (not as horrible as he made it out to be, really) and he gets his new official name as Ben. Good stuff, and it will be interesting seeing how his character arc will play out in the future. There's still lots about him we don't know.

Hydro-Man was a decent villain, and provided some good fight scenes. It's kind of funny that out of the many shows Spidey has had over the years, this is only the second cartoon to feature Hydro-Man (and the third to feature Morris Bench). I thought it was predictable his back-story was fake and he was actually a prisoner there. And it looks like he'll be joining the new Sinister Six as well. Interesting we didn't get to see Doc Ock in this episode - I think it's the first one this season where he's absent. He still made his presence felt though.

Spidey taking charge of SHIELD was pretty cool and he seemed to get the hang of it by the end. Miles' comments about ghosts were pretty funny at the beginning but they got annoying by the end. Still, not as bad as some of the other "running gags" from the last few episodes. Overall, a pretty good episode.

• Like Like x 2
    #3 RoyalRubble, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  4. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

So...is Ben/Scarlet Spider supposed to be Peter's clone? All the faces here generally look similar. Yet Peter and May saw his face and didn't freak out like..."What the hell, that's Peter's face!"

Is Peter done with high school now or what? Because he's not going to school anymore. He's not going to college. And now he's the freaking head of SHIELD HQ. All the SHIELD agents were reporting to Spider-Man at the end.

Would like it if the writers would clarify this.

At least Triton and Squirrel Girl had some speaking lines this week.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Ben is undoubtably a clone, and $10 still says he's in cahoots with Doc.Oc. ;)

Yeah that does worry me a bit. He may be a hero, but he's still a teenager, and requires a proper education (Though I suppose S.H.I.E.L.D. could be backing up his academics since he's student anyway.)

And I would like it if he were interacting more with Mary Jane Watson.

Seconded, though I still want more from them.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

They really are doing a great job with this season. Each episode better than the previous one!!

OK, to basically comment:

1º) We finally see Scarlet Spider unmasked. I think it's obvious he looks like enough to Peter to confirm that he's a clone of Spider-Man. The scar, wel, it's representative, but without being something traumatic. And they start to calling him Ben? Do you think this version of Kaine is going to be "designed" with some features of Ben Reilly? If we have another clone, who do you think it will be? Maybe Ultimate Jessica Drew?

And I can't wait for Aunt May to interact wiith the other Spiders. I mean, how do you think she will react if Miles tells Aunt May that in his dimension, Peter died saving the world?

2º) Well, as far as I see, there's only one member left for the Sinister 6:
    + Doc Ock is the leader.
    + Kraven the Hunter was apparently the first recruit.
    + DemoGoblin (Ultimate Green Goblin) was the second one.
    + Rhino might have been turned into the third one considering his last appearance.
    + Hydro-Man seems to have been rescued to be the fourth, possibly replacing Sandman.

So, who do you think it will be the sixth and final member? I think Octopus will be stupid if he picks Electro. I mean, Electro and Hydro-Man in the same team? Water and Electricity?, bad move.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty solid and fun episode, with some nice humor and action sequences to make it all-around enjoyable :D.

So...Peter is now officially in charge of SHIELD Academy? When he's barely out of high school, never had a real job in his life let alone one in an administrative field, and the same age as pretty much everybody else in the academy? Is there seriously no responsible adult or official left in SHIELD who can run the Academy in Fury's absence, Conners recovering from becoming the Lizard, and Coulson being on Agents of SHIELD o_O?

It was nice hearing Triton and Squirrel Girl get lines in the episode, even if it was only because their VA's were also voicing other major characters in this episode ;).

What was with Miles and ghosts in this episode? I mean, it was funny most of the time, but it seemed a little out of nowhere. Was he just deliberately trying to mess with Iron Spider :p?

Seeing Hydro-Man in this episode and being used so prominently and effectively was really cool, especially given the general treatment the other B-listers of Spidey's Rogues Gallery have gotten on the show. The twist of him conning the Web Warriors into helping him escape was neat, and he did a fairly good job of selling it, though given the trend for Spidey's rogues to be more or less misunderstood villains, I wouldn't have been surprised if they had actually made Hydro-Man a good guy :sweat:.

And, while he's often been compared to Sandman, Hydro-Man here felt more like traditional Sandman then the actual USM Sandman :confused:.

They certainly got a lot of mileage out of Hydro-Man's powers, both from a visual and story standpoint, leading to some interesting and dynamic fight scenes as the Web-Warriors battled him :cool:.

So I guess Scarlet Spider is now an official composite of the two Scarlet Spiders in the comics? He has Kaine's personality, costume, and powers, and here he gets Ben's name. We also get to finally see his face, which doesn't really look that bad aside from that one scar, and honestly I think he looks like an older Peter with a buzzcut. Though I guess if there was an intended resemblance, Peter and May would've commented on it :shrug:.

It felt kind of contrived to have everybody land in Peter's neighborhood, but it was nice to see Aunt May actually play a fairly important role in the episode by meeting Scarlet and teaching him more about what makes Peter Peter and how he's not as bad as he thinks he is :).

But we do get a few more interesting tidbits about his origin here, in that he doesn't remember ever having a name or being raised by anyone like Peter was raised by Aunt May and Uncle Ben. I think that might lend credence to the idea that he is actually a clone, but we'll see :ack:.

Sinister Six Counter: Doc Ock apparently orchestrates Hydro-Man's escape, twice, leaving him open to join the Sinister Six. The Sinister Six currently stands at three members.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

This was more of a by-the-numbers episode, but the scene between Ben and May was actually pretty nice. But yeah, the face reveal was weak. Dude, you don't look that bad. :p

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

That's my thing about Ben. If he was meant to be Peter's exact clone, wouldn't they have noticed? A mother would know if she was looking at her son's face. Scar or no scar.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

On second thought, Miles' comments about ghosts might have been a callback to his first meeting with Peter Parker back in the Spider-Verse arc, where he thought he was a ghost since he saw the Peter of his world die. That was supposed to be a more serious moment and yet the line was still funnier than it was here. :p

Also, was this the first appearance of the "barber shop secret entrance" gimmick from the old Nick Fury comics on the show? I honestly can't remember if it was used before.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I wonder if Ben looking and sounding older then Peter, implying that he was artificially aged during the cloning process, is what threw May and Peter off as to the resemblance o_O.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I really liked them brining in such a classic SHIELD element and it was used in a pretty funny way too :D.

As I recall, it was used in Earth's Mightiest Heroes when Cap and Fury first met :).

• Like Like x 2
  12. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

It was even funnier that this time it was a barbershop located inside an abandoned building.

I just finished re-watching that episode of Avengers EMH ("Everything is Wonderful"). And now I'm off to re-watch JLU's "The Return" where Luthor had a similar set-up. :p

• Like Like x 2
  13. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I thought that was a decent episode. Hydro Man's true nature was handled clumsily, though.

All empty/abandoned buildings in the Marvel Animated Universe are fronts of some kind.

I got a good laugh out of that little shaving nick.

Those ghost jokes really didn't land.

Spider-Man is taking charge of SHIELD? Where's Maria Hill when you need her?

• Like Like x 2
  14. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm legitimately surprised she hasn't been used yet, especially given her recurring and semi-major status in the MCU. I think she made one cameo in the season one finale of Assemble and that was it o_O.

Heck, MCU Hill is actually pleasant and reasonable compared to her comic counterpart. She would probably be a good fit for taking care of a bunch of kids, if maybe not as much in an entertaining way as comic Hill would :p.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    #14 Frontier, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  15. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Marble

I don't know, maybe they could blend the two?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

It kind of feels like a wasted episode for me.
    Nick fury has been absent for way too long and this episode still didn't give us enough info as to where and why he's gone!
    also the running jokes... i get it, its what makes spiderman but there is such a thing of overusing them to the point where it just gets annoying.
    now that I have had my little rant
    this show seriously fooled me into thinking hydroman was good due to hwo many times they have done the villian actually being a nice guy theme, morris sounded like a decent guy like sandman but no... no.
    also, scarlet spiders face reveal was cool but now it has removed all seriousness from him and the element of mystery which is what made him great is gone.
    hopefully next weeks episode is better

• Like Like x 1