1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Beached" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Mar 27, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

100.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! Sandman returns!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Beached"
    Episode Debut - March 27th, 2016
    Directed by: Young Ki Yoon
    Written by: Geoffrey Thorne

Spider-Man and Iron Spider discover Doc Ock has taken control of Sandman.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty good episode though not as exciting as the last few have been. It was nice seeing the Vulture again, even if only for a few scenes. Sandman was a decent enough adversary, with his multiple personalities providing some good action scenes with some nice choreography. The dialogue could have been a lot better but I though this time they did kind of have an excuse since each one of these Sandmen was supposed to represent a different aspect of Flint Marko. Doc Ock being responsible for these Sand clones wasn't that much of a surprise (the episode description even gave it away!) but seeing Sandman Prime as a prisoner, not eager to work for Ock was a nice touch.

The team-up between Spidey and Iron Spider was pretty good though the latter's constant use of code-names and viewing villains as freaks with no redeemable qualities got a little annoying. More so than Scarlet Spider trust issues in the last episode. Plus, this characterization for Cho kind of came out of nowhere. It was pretty obvious he would have a change of heart by the end of the story though, and the way he worked together with Sandman to escape was a pretty nice moment.

Sandman was used pretty well, I liked the call-back that he's not really a villain, something which was pretty much over-looked the last time he appeared on the show (during the Contest of Champions arc, I think). It does look like he won't be part of the new version of the Sinister Six, unless something drastic happens and makes him change his mind again, or if Ock manages to perfect one of those Sand clones he could control. Overall, a decent episode but I thought it was kind of boring.

• Like Like x 1
  3. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

This episode was decent but not great.
    1. Cho is starting to be that one annoying character and the kind that does stuff before thinking, ironic how hes the smartest person on the team but makes the dumbest decisions.
    2. this design for sandman was great. His jawline and facial features are a lot more realistic now and his "ultimate" Sandman look is pretty cool.
    3. it was pretty damn obvious doc ock was behind this but its taking way too long for him to get his sinister six, hopefully we see it formed at least by episode ten then he adds on new members throughout the rest of the season.
    4. I really hope sandman isnt in rhinos situation where he plays the nice guy act but still has all the evil locked away inside him, he seems like a genuine guy and I'd hate for him to betray spiderman...
    5. maybe vulture is creating a mini sinister six before doc ock? nice theory at the end
    6. this also felt like an episode similiar to venom bomb and lizards and they kinda need to stop recycling that method.
    but overall this episode wasn't the greatest episode compared to the rest of the series, it felt weak and just felt like one of those mini adventures that don't contribute to the story as much (saw a ton of those in earlier seasons)

also we really really need a new spider thrown into the mix, spider-woman would be a great additon and black cat is also long overdue.

• Like Like x 1
    #3 superspidey2257, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2016
  4. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

So Iron Spider was suddenly trying to top Scarlet as the biggest jerk on the show. What happened? He suddenly became a braggart who wants to finish off the enemies without mercy? Also, like the last few episodes, the message was very ham-fisted, with the characters arguing about it every single chance they got. All-in-all, not the best episode.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cjeromek

cjeromek Member

Alright! Another good one! First let's get the complaints out the way. Why are they being so heavy handed about the episode's lesson. Both this one and last one made it a point for Spidey to get into it with one of the Spiders and spend the whole episode just repeating their respective viewpoints over and over. And why is Cho just randomly casted as Mr. Shoot-em-up out of nowhere. Then the codenames thing. Wtf!? Also why is Ock the reason for everything. He's turning into the Kingpin from the 90s show.

Now on to the good. Holy crap was the action intense! That choreography was on point as well. This episode was a complete joy to me despite my minor quibbles. I'm in absolute amazement at how beautifully animated this show is. I liked most of Spidey's jokes though I can't remember many. It was great to see Flint's character growth stuck. I love how every episode has like these high stakes battles. They just keep getting bigger and bigger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

a good way to describe this episode would be saying its basically "the batman v superman" of ultimate spiderman episodes
    the action and choreography was amazing
    but the story was terrible.

7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a decent episode, with a welcome return of a villain with a few twists, some great action scenes, and some nice humor ;).

It still amazes me that Miles and the creators really think his new codename is something worth being used multiple times. I mean, "Kid Arachnid?" Really :confused:?

I wasn't really feeling the direction for Cho in this episode, being so cold, logical, and prone to lethal force. First it felt like he'd learned nothing about being overly-judgemental from the "Lizards" episode and his debut in season 3, and his constantly advocating for putting Vulture and Sandman down makes Scarlet look like more reasonable by comparison. I mean, I know Iron Spider is supposed to be the really smart and logical member of the team, but I don't think that part of his personality has ever come across to the point where it's believable that he would qualify everything into scientific/dehumanizing terms while ignoring facts like Sandman's previous mental instability and that there's still somebody inside that Vulture armor o_O.

I thought the element of Amadeus having always been so relied on and used for his brains that he never got the chance to have any real friends or get to have fun like normal kids was interesting, but it felt like something that could've been better established beforehand. Aside from being arrogant because of it, Amadeus has always seem pretty well-adjusted prior to this episode :shrug:.

It also felt like the episode also kind of glossed over Sandman's mental instability and how that's part of why he can't control his powers. Spidey was acting like Flint being childish and turning into a kid was as new as him being able to split into multiple Sandmen, but that was exactly what he was like in his debut episode in season 1. Though by the end it seems like Doc Ock's experimenting on him fixed all the issues he had with his powers and personality, bringing him more in-line with comic Sandman, at least in terms of the actual control he has over his abilities. It'll be interesting to see where the show goes with Sandman in the future :).

It also seems like Vulture isn't as completely feral as we were led to believe when he flew off after losing his mind a few episodes ago, or at least he's acting instinctually in a way that might mean Adrian still possesses some will within that suit. Though I don't think they should be worried about Ock inducting Vulture into the Six, given the whole reason Adrian is stuck in that suit with little of his mind left was because he betrayed Hydra and wasn't cut out for the Six :eek:.

I thought that whole sequence of Spider-Man fighting all those Sandman monsters was one of the best action scenes in the whole series up to this point. Just some really dynamic and well-choreographed action sequences as Spidey dodges and fights everything Ock throws at him :cool:.

I guess you have to give Ock credit to the effort and planning he's putting into his new Sinister Six. The last two versions of the team failed, all his plans to kill Spider-Man have failed, so now he's meticulously taking his time to build the best team possible to finally kill Spider-Man once and for all while exploring any and all avenues for membership in the group. Granted, it didn't feel like it took him near this long to form the original Sinister Six, but I guess he really wants to do it right this time :sweat:.

So I guess if Spidey wanted Sandman in the SHIELD Academy, there aren't any age requirements? Then again, who knows how old Flint is, especially when his personality so often shifts to that of a child. I mean, if Falcon can have his body type and still be 18, maybe Flint is a lot younger then he looks :p?

Sinister Six Counter: Ock fails to create the perfect Sandman for the Sinister Six and Flint escapes him by the end of the episode. Vulture is also still flying around New York City seemingly aimlessly. The Sinister Six still stands at 3 members strong.

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Frontier, Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  8. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Will be curious to see if Sandman stays reformed this time or if he will fall back into his bad habits. I liked that he did essentially save the day this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tungki

tungki New Member

Sandman too strong, he beat most of spidey

Mod Note: Video removed. In the future, please do not link to, or post any illegally uploaded material, as it is against the rules.

10. Dragnatek

Dragnatek Well-Known Member

While we were not given an exact age in Sandman's first episode it looked like he was captured by SHIELD in the seventies. Of course maybe Fury and Coulson just went though a seventies style phase a few years before the show started. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    #10 Dragnatek, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2016