1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Anti-Venom" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Apr 3, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

25.0%
  4. ***1/2

25.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

25.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! This week, Anti-Venom is created!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Ant-Venom"
    Episode Debut - April 3rd, 2016
    Directed by: Jae Woo Kim
    Written by: Matt Wayne

Doc Ock and his new assistant, Morbius, create Anti-Venom in order to destroy one of the Web Warriors.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  2. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

For anyone curious, Morbius was voiced by Benjamin Diskin.

Also, a nice cameo of a certain villain that has yet to debut on the show in that opening montage.

I'll try and post a more substantial review later.

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

That was clever, preemptively taking out villains before Doc Ock could reach them.

I think the old friend/new friend rivalry thing has been overplayed, both here and on other shows, but I'm glad they didn't just end the story with a cliche moral.

Did Hydra guards ever show up? Shouldn't someone have come to investigate when heroes and the lab experiment started tearing up the base?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought this was a pretty great episode, all-around. Some fun character interaction, some awesome action sequences, some nice continuation of elements from past episode, and some cool new additions to the cast :cool:.

Shocker and Boomerang on the Sinister Six? Really Otto :p?

Neat cameo from Shriek this early. Really liking her design, and can't wait to see her role expanded in a future episode :D.

It was nice seeing Beetle again, and even getting an armor upgrade (which obviously did not carry over into Avengers), and this might be the last time we see him as Beetle before he becomes Mach-IV for the Thunderbolts. Too bad he had to end up getting beat by the new hero on the block, the Patrioteer, even if he obviously had help :shrug:.

Interesting take on Morbius here, as Zola brings him in to help Ock with his experiments. He's obviously quite intelligent, and a fan of Otto's, providing a fresh perspective and a source to fuel Doc Ock's ego. He's certainly not prepared for the dangers his line of work will lead to, as evidenced by his reaction to the heroes popping in, but I wonder if we'll ever see him become an actual Supervillain and a vampire o_O?

The bromantic triangle in this episode of Peter, Flash, and Harry was kind of amusing even if Flash was being a little too petty about it. Flash has always been Spidey's biggest fan and has always relished getting to team-up and hang out with him as Agent Venom, while Harry's always been Peter's best friend since back when Flash was tormenting him in high school. So we have Spider-Man's best friend, self-proclaimed as that maybe, and Peter Parker's best friend competing for his attention (even if it's indirectly on Harry's part). Of course, Harry's completely oblivious to who Spidey and Venom are, so it all kind of goes over his head :sweat:.

It kind of shows you how little organization SHIELD has at this point that apparently a teenager is now in charge of or has a big executive position in their big SHIELD Academy :confused:.

Hey, remember how Norman's attempts to get Spider-Man's DNA (employed by Otto) ended up inadvertently creating Venom which then latched itself onto his son? Or how his own treatment of Otto and obsession with getting Spider-Man's DNA ended up turning him into the Goblin which once again separated Norman from his son? Because it doesn't look like the show does :rolleyes:.

Admittedly, Harry rushed into a lot of things in this episode, but even still you really have to feel bad for him getting infected by another Symbiote. Especially when it was made apparent just how much he's really afraid of getting into contact with one again. Like father like son :(.

Wow, Anti-Venom was a beast, as it shrugged off pretty much everything thrown at it from the heroes, pretty much destroyed the Symbiote, and pretty much beat the tar out of Spdiey. It's lucky Anti-Venom's ability to cure Peter's spider-powers wasn't carried over from the comics or Peter would be in big trouble :eek:.

Man, that was a pretty downer note to end the episode on, setting aside the moment of Peter breaking the fourth-wall again which broke a lot of the tension. The Symbiote might be beyond repair, and Flash and Agent Venom are out of commission as a result, and Harry is stuck with the Anti-Venom symbiote and in stasis at the SHIELD Academy. Not to mention apparently everything is going as Ock planned, in a Zemo kind of way, with Anti-Venom being taken into custody. And Norman is now starting to build a grudge against Spider-Man after what happened to his son, which I don't see ending well :ack:.

Sinister Six Counter: Shocker, Beetle, and a various assortment of other villains are taken into custody, as well as Anti-Venom, leaving open spots on the Six. The Sinister Six still stands at three members.

I found it fitting that the last major voice for Eddie Brock ends up playing a character who helps create Anti-Venom ;).

• Like Like x 2
  5. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

I have some things to comment around here:

1º) Shriek's cameo was really unexpected. I can't wait for the symbiote arc where she will make her official debut, especially because it's based on "Maximum Carnage".

2º) Beetle has made me to wonder several things:
    + Doc Ock called Beetle "useless", so we can guess he's removed from Octopus' list of candidates. How can he say that from Beetle? He's has been one of the toughest villains that Spidey battled, and one of the original members of the first Sinister Six. Well, I guess this left him free to appear in "Avengers Assemble" without causing any continuity troubles for Spidey.
    + Speaking of which, how is it that Beetle didn't appear with his upgraded Hydra's armor in "Avengers Assemble", but with his broken armor after Agent Venom stole some pieces? Can somebody explain me that?
    + By the way, there was a animation error around here. In the very first scene where we have a close look on Beetle, he's already wearing his upgraded Hydra's armor. Then, in the next scene, he's back to the original one and he later activates the upgrade.

3º) What was on that Hydra's agent on the screen? I mean, since when do they where monster masks? I don't see any sense.

4º) Michael Morbius? Bad signal, especially since this version seems to work for Hydra. It's clear that Zola and Ock are starting to plot the betray against each other, since it's obvious he's spying Ock for Zola. We already had vampires, so how it will be explained this version's origin? Very weird he said so quickly to Spidey how to stop Anti-Venom; and then he said Spidey was "vicious"? Please, I'm pretty sure Ock didn't fall for that. I mean, if he really thinks he knows Spidey, he knows Spidey is not "vicious".

5º) "One Step Ahead". I really don't like the sound of that. Do you think Anti-Venom had something hidden inside of him or something? Or maybe Ock has something else in mind?

6º) Somebody noticed that Flash had his left leg hurted? I hope that won't take the same direction than in comics, because if it wasn't funny what they did to Connors, it will be way less funny if they do that to Flash.

7º) Something weird in their healing chambers. What happened to the symbiotes of Harry and Flash? Where are they? I don't think they have managed to remove them. Are they inside of them, healing too? I hope so. By the way, I hope Agent Venom won't be out for much time, because we didn't see much of his "upgrades" after "Double Agent Venom".

Anyway, I have great expectations for Harry as Anti-Venom in the future. You know?, I think that if he receives a blast of Dagger's purifying light, it could turn the monster Anti-Venom into another Spider for the Web Warriors.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

So is the original Venom symbiote now destroyed?

7. Roxas_Sora

Don't bet on it. Spidey thought to have destroyed the original Venom several times in the past, but it always managed to return. Right now, sure, Venom's symbiote is down, but not out. Besides, why it will be the symbiote destroyed after its upgrade back in "Double Agent Venom"?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty cool episode, but it was mainly the ending that impressed me. So two allies down? Geez, things are getting serious.

Also, can't blame Norman for being upset with Spider-Man. He had ONE job! I can't wait until Ock gets his.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Roxas_Sora

Norman is the last guy with rights to criticize Spider-Man for what happened to Harry in the first place. If you remember Season 1, Osborn wasn't at all terrified when he discovered that Harry was possessed by Venom; in fact, he looked like quite proud of seeing his own son turned into a merciless monster. Even when Harry/Venom threw him through a window or when he punched him. He simply said "Isn't he magnificent?". And that was even way before he became the Goblin.

10. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

Spiderman: Sorry flash, but Harry's my friend.
    Agent Venom: So was I.
    sums up the character development in this episode.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I thought Agent Venom's dilemma about feeling jealous of Harry being Spidey's best friend was sort of understandable, at least compared to the sudden changes in character Iron Spider suffered from in last week's episode. It still got kind of annoying as the episode progressed but at least the story got a little more serious towards the end and I wasn't expecting both of Spidey's friends and teammates to be incapacitated. That was pretty surprising. Norman's anger at Spidey for what happened to his son was also pretty understandable and it should be interesting seeing how things continue to play out from here.

Morbius' introduction could have been better but I did kind of like this take on the character, with him working for Hydra and impressing Doctor Octopus with his knowledge. He was a little too cowardly when Spidey confronted him but I think we haven't seen the last of him so things might change later on. Doc Ock mentioning that everything is going according to his plan pretty much officially makes him the Kingpin on this show. :p

Anti-Venom was pretty cool. The fight scenes he participated in after finding a host were great and more brutal than I was expecting from this show. Turning Harry into Anti-Venom seemed to make the most sense in this continuity since he was the original host for the Venom symbiote and it did help make things more dramatic by the end of the episode.

Those short scenes at the beginning explaining how Spidey plans on taking down any potential recruits for the new Sinister Six were a nice surprise. We even got a cameo from Shriek, though I was expecting there will be an entire episode devoted to her introduction. The fight with Beetle was pretty amusing with the villain getting beat up like that. Overall, a good episode with some neat and pretty surprising twists.

• Like Like x 2
  12. superspidey2257

superspidey2257 Your Friendly Neighbourhood Forum User

agreed, doc ock is becoming the new kingpin and he seriously doesn't need to be the reason for everything, hopefully after his sinister six has been properly formed,things will change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

One interesting thing I took note of was Zola acting like there's a degree of Hydra leadership above him. So I guess Zola isn't the actual leader of Hydra at the moment, just leading the section Ock's a part of o_O?

Which then begs the question of who's actually leading the organization at this point. Zemo? It seemed like he was involved with the organization, enough to use their soldiers and iconography for his own purposes, but Zemo's relationship to the group past his father's high position in WWII is a little murky :confused:.

Red Skull was the only direct leader of Hydra we've seen so far, but he hasn't been leading the group since season one of Assemble.

I'd say Strucker was a possibility, but given the MCU killed him off so ignobly, I doubt he has high chances of appearing in the cartoons :p.

I've probably put way more thought into the leadership and chain of command in Hydra then the show writers actually have, and probably Wacker, but I can't help but think about it all :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JoeMabbon

I love internal conflicts between villains. They're one of my favorite things about action cartoons. Watching the struggle within Hydra play out early in Earth's Mightiest Heroes was one of first things that grabbed my attention.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, Earth's Mightiest Heroes actually had a clear chain of command for Hydra :cool:.

Strucker was the head honcho with Viper and Grim Reaper below him, with Zemo abdicating leadership (afforded by his history with the organization) after his escape because he was more concerned with his vendetta against Captain America, while Red Skull was just MIA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JoeMabbon

And Black Widow was equal with Viper and Reaper as a part of her undercover mission.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Comicman2014

Comicman2014 New Member

I have a question. What is up with Arnim Zola popping up so many times in this show? Do people like this villain? I don't understand why the writers keep bringing him back. Personally I don't find him all that interesting. To me, he's just another egotistical mad scientist.

#17 Comicman2014, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  18. Freddy

Freddy Active Member

Here's your reason:

Mod Note: Changed posted image to link since it was too big to display on the forum, even inside a spoiler box.

#18 Freddy, Apr 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2016
  19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

Pretty dark episode in what happened to Flash and Harry. I liked how they introduced Anti-Venom.

Norman being a hero now is sort of weird. A part of me believes he's up to something and not turning over a new leaf, but I guess we shall see.

So what happened with high school for Peter and Harry. Are they just done with high school? Did they graduate? I wonder what's going on there. Especially since Spider-Man is now defacto leader of SHIELD Academy.

• Like Like x 1