1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Agent Web" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by RoyalRubble, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Rate & Discuss this Ultimate Spider-Man episode!

1. *****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. **1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Catch a new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD! Introducing... Madame Web!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man Vs the Sinister Six "Agent Web"
    Episode Debut - June 26th, 2016
    Directed by: Roy Burdine
    Written by: Geoffrey Thorne

When a battered Nova asks for help finding Nick Fury, Spider-Man tracks him to the dangerous ruins of an ancient city.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

#1 RoyalRubble, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. Capt.Traphouse

Capt.Traphouse Sexiest Thing Since Sex

Fun episode with an introduction to Madame Web. Her powers were sick.

Inhumans were whatever and Crossbones was your typical Saturday morning cartoon villain.

Fury was cool. I know a certain moderator will love seeing a beaten up Nova and all in all a solid episode imo. I give it 4.

• Like Like x 2
  3. trance2009

trance2009 Fun to play with not to eat

Fury basically leaving a kid in charge is still pretty reckless.

Sent from my LG G5 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JoeMabbon

JoeMabbon Dwarf-in-a-flask

Yeah, that scene where SHIELD agents are just wheeling in stacks of paperwork and not bothering to explain what they even are was absurd. I know its comedy, but it just feels silly and diminishes challenge facing Spider-Man.

I'm disappointed that they never explained why the city was sealed. Maybe that cube had something to do with it.

Other than that, just an okay episode. Maybe they should've called this season Ultimate Spider-Man vs HYDRA.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Now I wonder who you could be referring to :p?

That beach scene with the SHIELD Academy kids playing was cute, and it was nice to see some more old faces again, particularly given how many SHIELD Academy students were absent in the last episode :).

Cloak and Dagger are apparently back with no fanfare, which makes what Kraven did seem kinda pointless. I think this is also the first time we've had all of Spidey's original team in one episode since...the premier? The Arnim Zola two-parter in season 3? In any case it's been a while, so that was nice. Also neat that Squirrel Girl and Dagger were wearing swimsuits that evoked their costumes :anime:.

I still have to really question the idea behind putting a teenager, however responsible and competent, in charge of a government-run Superhero school and forcing them to deal with all the bureaucracy that comes with that position. I mean, why is Spider-Man somehow the logical choice to be dealing with all that instead of, say, Conners or Phil Coulson? Is SHIELD in such dire straits that Peter's the only one left who can effectively run SHIELD Academy? Heck, couldn't Spidey just designate people to do this work for him given how high level of a position he apparently has? Though Fury seems perfectly fine with the arrangement as he goes off galavanting on a secret mission to stop Hydra, which obviously makes it okay :rolleyes:.

Also, the whole conflict of Spidey acting more responsible and professional being at odds with his usual personality felt kind of off. Mainly because it seemed to come as a result of all the work he has to do as head of the SHIELD Academy, which never seemed to effect him in that way before this episode. If Peter was acting like this after what happened with Ben, that would make a heck of a lot more sense and actually build off what had happened in the last episode. Really, the only carry-over from that was Spidey bringing up the possibility that Madame Web could be a Hydra plant o_O.

Not to mention it's not out-of-character for Spider-Man to be serious and focused when it's important, and I'm not really sure if that should be viewed as a negative which Triton and even Fury's reactions seemed to indicate it was. Even in the episode itself, while he wasn't spouting quip after quip, he still seemed as easygoing and lighthearted as he generally is :shrug:.

I thought this was a good debut for Madame Web in USM (and it's the first time we've seen the character, or at least someone using the name, in animation since the 90's). I liked how they combined Julia Carpenter's Spider-Woman costume with the traditional Madame Web coloring to create a very nice looking look for the character overall, even if they never confirmed if this was actually Julia Carpenter. It was also nice to get a double-dose of Cree Summer after Guardians, and she did a great job here as the enigmatic, but heroic, Madame Web :cool:.

You had the classic Madame Web stuff of being vague about near-everything while still trying to help Spider-Man, along with the wrinkle of the Web of Reality (which I imagine will be involved in the next Spider-Verse), which was interesting. But unlike the original Madame Web, this one was definitely more active and involved, which was great. This show could always use more prominent and interesting female heroes, particularly ones Spider-related. Though the show never addressed it, I wonder if this Madame Web is blind like her comic counterparts :eek:?

I was also kind of disappointed when she left with Fury, because it would've been interesting to see her join the Web Warriors, especially with Flash still recuperating and Scarlet gone. Then the team could finally have a female member, and one who's spider-themed but without actual spider-powers, which would be a good change of pace ;).

It's been a while since Triton's done anything significant, so I may be forgetting, but was he always this standoffish and fussy? Still, he was an interesting choice to partner up with Spidey in this episode, and played off of Spider-Man and what was going on fairly well and in a generally entertaining manner. And It's nice that our token Inhuman can get some focus in our token Inhuman episode :D.

And continuing the trend of Spidey fighting Captain America villains (for some reason), we have Crossbones making his USM debut. Compared to his appearance in Assemble season one, this was a much more flattering and in-character showcase for Crossbones and Fred Tatasciore did a solid job in the role with his "generic tough guy" voice that's a tad lower then his Hulk voice. I thought he gave a solid challenge to Spidey in this episode, both physically and with his men, and his presence in the episode showcased that we're not done with Hydra yet apparently :ack:.

Ugh...three fourth-wall immersion moments in one episode. Really :mad:!?

So not only have the Web Warriors lost two members...but Nick Fury appropriated their jet. Jeez, that's got to be a kick in the butt :(.

Wow, the rest of the Royal Family got relegated to basically just a cameo at the end. I was expecting to see something a little more significant with them then that, let alone a joke at their expense :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  6. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Pretty good episode. I liked Madame Web though they could have added a bit more background information about her. They still managed to mention the most important stuff about her, like her powers, and I'm guessing we haven't seen the last of her yet so I can't really complain. Her design looked very nice, and the way she used her powers did lead to some cool scenes.

The team-up between Spidey, Triton and Madame Web was cool. The ancient Inhuman city filled with traps made for a neat setting for this adventure. Crossbones was a decent adversary though they could have used just about anyone, really. The fights were pretty good and I liked the brief mention of Captain America. I was expecting the Inhumans to play a larger role in the story but I wasn't disappointed they only appeared at the ending. Nice seeing Crystal (since I think she wasn't featured in the last Inhumans-themed episode of this show).

Nice to have some kind of conclusion to the on-going plot about Nick Fury's disappearance. I admit I wasn't expecting him to leave just as he came back to the show. Leaving Spidey to run SHIELD by himself was a pretty strange decision, and it might probably lead to some even stranger developments in future episodes.

It was neat seeing Spidey's original team again, even if only for a few short scenes. Nova is back as well though I honestly didn't miss him that much. As long as he'll continue being useful on the show after all this everything should be fine. All things considered this was a decent enough story which managed to tie some loose ends about what happened to Nick Fury and Nova after the events of the season premiere.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

So looking at the preview for the Symbiote Saga at the end of the episode, it looks like everybody in New York (including heroes) are going to get infected by Carnage Symbiotes and turned into Carnage themselves. There's even a Hulk!Carnage :eek:.

I wonder if this was part of Doc Ock's endgame since the beginning, and part of his plan with Anti-Venom? Though it would be kinda odd, given he never created Carnage...that was al The Goblin o_O.

And I hear Dee Bradley Baker's voice, so it sounds like he's still voicing Carnage....Could it be Cletus Kasady, or some kind of Carnage Prime? Though with all the villains he voices in this show, and all the other Spider-Man villains he's voiced in other media, I think at this point Dee Bradley Baker has voiced Spider-Man's entire Rogues Gallery :p.

It also looks like we're finally getting some Avengers presence for the arc. I wonder if they're finally going to explain whatThe Avengers have been doing all season instead of dealing with Hydra :sweat:?

• Like Like x 1
    #7 Frontier, Jun 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  8. TheLemsterPju

TheLemsterPju Well-Known Member

There's no way Crossbones could have survived getting squashed by that giant robot.

Or IS there?!-Oh. He's not a technological villain. So yeah, he's dead.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Crossbones is a tough cookie, and can take a lot of punishment, so I wouldn't be surprised if found a way to survive. And we never saw the foot actually hit him either ;).

Mark my words, if the cartoons ever need an elite Hydra grunt, he'll be back :sweat:.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. JoeMabbon

A HYDRA foot soldier remembered he had his kid's flute with him and played it at the last possible minute. Then Crossbones called him an "pansy."

Possible explanations:
    • Space or somewhere else far away.
    • Ultron.
    • None.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

OK, I managed to see the episode and I have some things to comment. Unlike some of you, I really think it was worth it:

1º) Spider-Man trying to act more mature and serious, can you really blame him? After what happened in the previous episodes, I doubt Spidey can find funny anymore. And I'm not talking about what happened to Scarlet Spider/Ben Reilly, which I think he deserved it. Thanks to what Scarlet did, now Octopus knows the face who hides under Spider-Man's mask, and he knows about that's man's life. Which means Ock can attack Spider-Man/Peter through his Aunt May or any other of his beloved ones when we less expect it. Do you think that is a matter you can laugh on?

2º) Awesome to see the Web of Reality again, but it's quite weird this time. I mean, we haven't seen the parallel worlds of each Spider-Man, but different versions of the MAIN reality, each one with a different alternative Spider-Man taking the place of Main Spider-Man. It's like in those realities, something happened to the main Spider-Man and one of his counterparts took the responsability of "cover the void". I could recognize Spider-Man 2099 (which they said he wouldn't return), Spyder-Knight and Spider-Noir. I'm not sure, but I heard in other websites that Spider-Girl (Petra Parker) and Spider-Ham appeared too. I didn't see them anywhere, did you? Did you noticed any other weird thing, by any chance?

3º) Nobody said nothing when I mentioned previously the window where we see Triton being saved by Ock's arm instead of Spidey's web. Well, this time we have seen the whole picture and it confirmed what I said. Nobody found it suspictious? The disgusting word "Superior" came to my mind after seeing this. I really hope this means that, if "Superior" appears, it will be as an alternative Spider-Man and not something that happens to the original one.

4º) I liked this Madame Web, although continuously talking about probabilities and statistics got my nerves. Also, besides her precognitive powers, she doesn't seem a TRUE Spider. I wonder if she will get somekind of "spider-upgrade" later in the season. Even without it, she would be a very good member for the Web Warriors. Can you imagine her precognitive powers combined with a Spider-Sense?

5º) I saw the promo of the next Symbiote arc, and boy, I can't wait to see it!! I think I recognize which scenes of the promo belongs to each of the parts. Hulkarnage comes from the Part 2, and I'm with Spidey, I liked Hulk better in green. And Spidey and Agent Venom facing a giant Carnage in the park must be from Part 3. I recognized Carnage's voice from some other places, like that videogame with "Monster Ock" or "Ockarnage", as I like to call it. I'm seriously scared, guys. The narrator is right, Carnage is without a doubt, Spider-Man's deadliest enemy. He can even take Venom's role in Spidey's list of worst enemies, where we can put Doc Ock and the Green Goblin. By the way, I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect the new Carnage will be Michael Morbius (interesting twist). And in the end, it seems they will defeat the giant Carnage with some kind of "giant sonic attack".

Well, any opinions?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Speaking of characters who end up not being as relevant in the season named after them :p.

I do kind of want to see Spidey complain to The Avengers about the fact that he and his group have been doing their job of taking on Hydra, and running a SHIELD Academy in disarray, while they've been off doing who knows what :rolleyes:.

And maybe in the next episode we'll finally get a reaction from Cap to Arnim Zola (maybe) being alive :sweat:.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Troy Troodon

Troy Troodon Well-Known Member

Is it me, or does Triton seem more prissy and priggish than usual?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. RoyalRubble

RoyalRubble Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Crossbones didn't really impress me that much in this episode but he was still used better here than on Avengers Assemble where he only showed up briefly once or twice. I wouldn't mind seeing him again on the show as long as he can put up a decent fight. It can't be too hard to come up with a plausible enough explanation for him surviving the events of this episode.

I think it would be funny if Ultron was revealed as the reason the Avengers haven't shown up here, seeing how he's barely made his presence felt on the Avengers show, so far.

I didn't see them either. In Spider-Man 2099's case, it could be that he was only seen in this short scene and won't be featured in the new Spider-Verse arc.

They probably did that since Spidey was acting more serious in this episode.

• Like Like x 2
    #14 RoyalRubble, Jun 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2016
  15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

It definitely sounded like James Arnold Taylor poured on more of the snobbery this time.

Glad we got a new animated version of Madame Web, even though this one is different and clearly younger. She seemed closer in resemblance to Julia Carpenter version of Spider-Woman.

Also a bit of a return of Team Awesome this week, though it didn't really seem that Iron Fist and White Tiger had any discernible dialogue this week. Still it was nice to get a return for Nova at least.

I know Clark Gregg is a busy guy, but is it impossible he could make a return as well?

Still a little weird to me to see Spider-Man essentially as the default director of SHIELD.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Yeah, the red hair and basic costume design was all Julia Carpenter. The fact that she was Madame Web during Wacker's tenure on the Spider-Man books probably means it's her, though somehow I doubt they'll ever outright name her o_O.

I'm kind of surprised he healed so fast given they're doing a slow-burn with Flash's recovery, though obviously Nova and Flash's situations and abilities are completely different.

Now that Nova is back, maybe we'll see him get transformed into a Carnage :p?

I have to imagine it's easier then getting JK Simmons back apparently :sweat:

Well, moreso the director of SHIELD Acadmey. We have no idea what's going on with SHIELD :confused:.

• Like Like x 2
  17. JoeMabbon

The target demo probably has no idea about any of this, so Madame Web will suffice. I don't think she'll appear enough for it to matter anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Darth_Cygnus

Darth_Cygnus Member

I liked Madame Web. Nice voice and design. Hopefully we see her again.

Too bad the Inhumans didn´t play a major role but at least Triton got more screentime. Maybe Ms Marvel will join the academy one day so he´s not the only Inhuman around.
    Crystal finally appears and she looks great.

The Peter Parker in Doc Ock´s body has it really bad. Poor guy.
    At least he got Ock´s previous body design so he´s not bald and uglier.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

They seemed to leave the Fury/Web situation open enough that they will revisit it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Watching this kind of cemented my wish that Crystal was the inhuman they used for the New Warriors over Triton. Not a bad episode.

• Agree Agree x 3
    #20 Rick Jones, Jul 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2016