Ultimate Spider-Man "Venom" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 15, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - USM "Venom"

1. *****

5.9%
  2. ****1/2

11.8%
  3. ****

23.5%
  4. ***1/2

2.9%
  5. ***

20.6%
  6. **1/2

5.9%
  7. **

8.8%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

5.9%
  10. 1/2

14.7%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD today starting at 11:00am (ET/PT)!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man "Venom"
    Episode Premiere Date - April 15th, 2012
    Spider-Man and the other S.H.I.E.L.D. trainees must fight off Doctor Octopus' latest creation, Venom. Things get complicated when Venom shows up at a party held at Harry Osborn's place.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. sparkykandy

sparkykandy New Member

This episode definitively felt like a step in the right direction. Sure, you still have the obligatory cutaway gags and jokes, and the unnecessary exposition still exits, but making the tone of this episode more serious (and taking it seriously for the most part) was a definite plus.

Hopefully, the episodes will continue to improve over time.

3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

I am conflicted

My feelings for this episode are complex I don't know if I liked it or if i didn't like it. so i will start with the positives.

+ Spider-man was less of a complete jerk compared to how we was last week. he was closer to how peter Parker/Spider-man is suppose to be.
    + The team as a whole seems better then last week, Sam/Nova still annoys me but White Tiger was not as bad as last week.
    + I liked the Harry and Peter friendship subplot.
    +The fight with Venom was great, and well i really liked the last few minutes when Spider-man was possessed.

The negatives
    - The childish humor, it's even worse then Super hero Squad was at times and is really dragging this show down
    - Venom's origin, too simple I wish they went with the ultimate comic origin of being Peter's father's creator. This venom has Ult carnage's origin basically,
    - Sam/Nova, I really hate that guy

Over all, I don't hate this episode and it had lots of great moments. I liked the Peter stuff and the fights, but the humor is killing it. My favorite episode yet so there have been to me slight improvements every week but really i don't know how much longer I will be watching the show.

4. jph139

jph139 Immortal

See, complete opposite for me. This was the first episode I had to make an active effort to actually enjoy... other than Doc Ock (who is just brilliant here, possibly the best character in the show so far), there wasn't really anything I enjoyed. Maybe Osborn? Iron Fist? I can't even pinpoint why... I was just really, really lame.

5. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

Usually, among Marvel's '70s heroes, Nova is my favorite. But this version is just so annoying! Oh well, at least my second favorite, Iron Fist, is there.

6. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

The episode was only a little better, if only due to the Peter/Harry stuff and the creepy Doc Ock. Everthing else was terrible, from the unfunny gags to the obnoxious teammates, a completely unlikeable Flash Thompson, and a stupid, incompetent Norman Osborn. I don't think I'll keep watching this. I will probably tune in from time to time, but yeah, I'm done with this for the most part.

7. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

Maybe I missed something but how was Norman stupid or incompetent? I did not see it. I agree with everything else but I did not see that. Well for the team mates only Nova really annoyed me today. I like Iron Fist, Power man is still too uninteresting as a character but not bad and White Tiger was no where near as bad as she was last week because there was less "Boys are stupid" comments from her.

8. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I enjoyed this episode a lot. The intensity of the action scenes definitely seemed to be kicked up half a notch. Despite a couple of dialogue/performance hiccups and whatever else, I had a pretty good time with this one. It's kind of funny that the new Venom origin is basically the Ultimate Carnage origin.

9. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

I thought this was a good episode, much better than last week's. I like where they're going Venom, and the end tells me that Harry going to be the next host. Also at this point I really don't see Eddie Brock showing up.

10. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

I'm trying to give this show a chance but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. For the most part, the animation is very good, but I can't get into the chracters or the story. The cut away scenes are getting to be too long and Spidey isn't likable at all. I so miss The Spectacular Spider-Man...

11. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Granted, I'm one of the few folks who really dislike Venom, but that said, the animation remains the high point of the series; the humor style still grates, and even my eight year old is sick of it already. He says he'd rather see Deadpool; Come to think of it, that may be my problem with the humor, which is more Deadpool that Peter Parker (Come to think of it, isn't Joe Kelly, of Men of Action fame, a former Deadpool writer? That would explain a lot...).

12. .c.h.r.i.s.

.c.h.r.i.s. Iron Man Fanatic

Completely agree.

While the animation is absolutely gorgeous, I can't get past the stupid over the top "humor". It's like SHS, but with regular sized heroes.

Going to give it a couple of more episodes but I think I'm kinda done with this one.

13. kid rabbit

kid rabbit Active Member

wow they did venom in one episode without a three episode arc or seasons worth ofbuild up
    you gotta respect
    that

14. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

This episode was actually really good! The animation during the fights were pretty spectacular, and Venom was pretty creepy. The sub-plot with Harry and Peter was surprisingly touching, and for once, I didn't hate every single character here.

Some of the humor can be a bit much, though.

15. araffa13045

araffa13045 New Member

This episode was a little better than last week's but in my opinion this show is weak. This series did not wheel me in like spectacular spider-man. Doc Oct appearance and the venom fight were the only strong points. But the humor, that bugs me so much, It is just not funny. Still not liking the whole team set-up. If the show doesn't get better I might stop watching.:(

16. Monte

Monte Active Member

The story for the episode was half-way decent and the action was good, but the characters, exposition and poor humor are really dragging things down.

i'm still not caring for the team... So far Iron fist is the only one remotely likable, but the rest are dull at best, or just plain annoying at worst. Hell their complete lack of respect for Peter's personal life is not winning them any favors; you'd think they would be more understanding... but that just brings up something else that is beginning to irk me; they are ALWAYS together. Sure they are a team, but really you'd think they would each have lives of their own on their own time; Their own friends, their own families, their own hobbies and so forth; frankly i feel like they should all want their own personal time to themselves. I Just Find it so off how they move as a unit even when out of uniform. Its almost like they are being handled like props for spiderman, instead of being treated as individual characters

I doubt we'll see a change of that next episode, but maybe the episode after that will hold more hope as it seems like it will focus on Spiderman and White Tiger, not the entire team... Some significant time on her own will be a much better chance to look into her character. It may also make or break my remaining hopes for the series.

Ya i thought the butt joke at the beginning was pretty Low, but then we got "Heh, I said Wiz" ^^

Ya, he really can get on a person's nerves. Honestly though, if Marvel wanted him on the show to help promote Sam as the new Nova in the comics, then it was a REALLY bad idea to go with the personality archetype of "Jerk"... Not really winning him any fans there; hell even if the show succeeds it will won't help Nova if no ones likes him in particular. Really, is THIS what Sam is like in the comics?

Agreed, Doc Ock is so far being handled very well and is shaping up to be a good villian... now if only this show could handled the rest of the characters as well as they handle Doc Ock and Doom and we might be getting somewhere.

17. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Its ironic that SSM turned me off with the alternate character designs, but the scripts and plots converted me, whereas USM is beautiful aesthetically, but the scripts and dialogue are so insipid that it turns me off the show.

18. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

And judging by the reaction of your eight year old to the show, it may even be starting to turn off it's target audience.I have to wonder how the show's ratings have changed since the premier.

Maybe placing it next To Avengers, an overall superior superhero show, has worked to its detriment even with a younger audience.

19. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

The only jokes that made me wince this week were whiz ( stopping time to explain that you're a science whiz is bad enough but then to end it with 3rd grade humor ? Maybe it made an 8 year old somewhere giggle but ...) and the lawnmowing cutaway, which is indicative of my main problem with the show's humor. Pausing heavy action for a quick cutaway or gag is a no-no. It wasn't as groan-inducing as last week's Armor Inspection cutaway but it still broke the flow a little.

Other than that, the other stuff seemed innocent enough (Harry's terrified fangirl) or was actually able to elicit a chuckle out of me ( I can't lie. I like the "Robots" cutaway and the Wheel Of Excuses). ​

20. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

My eight-year-old will be watching it again tomorrow - I'll let you know. ;) Last time he didn't catch it.

At least there was no jetpack joke...

"Wheel of Morality, turn turn turn, and tell me the lesson that we should learn!" :yakko::wakko::dot: