1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate Spider-Man is 1st rate.

Discussion in 'Comic Book Culture' started by NewMaxFranklin, May 5, 2001.

1. This may be old news to some of you comic aficionados, but it's new to me. I flipped through a graphic novel, at my favorite comic shop, called "Ultimate Spider-Man." The cover was pretty cool. It had a detailed, computer colored, drawing of Spidey syingng in front of a photo of a Manhattan street. Spidey looked cool, but a little too scrawny.

Anyway, the comic is a retreatment of Spideys origin. In the comic, Parker is a 15-year-old highschool student, rather than a college guy. A lot of the characters Spidey-fans would be familiar with are there too. But, the way the material is handled is fresh and the comic has an overall freshness.

I thought it looked awsome, and bought it after only a quick thumb-through, scanning some of the dialogue. After reading it stait through I was rather awestruck at how good it was. The writing is sharp and witty, with-heart and passion. And the artwork is top notch as well. It's really excellent all around.

It cost 14.95 US, 21.95 CAN. It's well worth it, in my opinion. It's big book. Twice as thick as Batman Year-One.

Even if you're not a Spider-Fan, give it a look. I was never a big fan myself. You'll love it if you're a Batman Beyond fan.

Also, The writer of the GN is going to be the ONLY writer on the "Ultimate Spider Man" comic, which will be kept in continuity.

Marvel fans might also be in-store for retreats of other old-school superheros, judging from the "Ultimate Marvel Team-Up" series. In the first issue Spidey teamed up with Wolverine, but that one underwhelmed me. The two part (issue 2 & 3) Spider-man Vs Hulk comic was cool though.

In closing, (Man, I can gab!) I can't recommend the "Ultimate Spider-Man" GN enough. Check it out.

2. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Yeah, it's a monthly comic. The first issue came out in October.

It's on issue 9 now.

It's not "in continuity." It's in Ultimate continuity. It's not like Man of Steel was for Superman. This is a separate continuity, like a cartoon or something.

Just wanted to clear things up.

Oh, and they did it with X-Men too. Ultimate X-Men is on issue 5.

3. Nightwing

Nightwing WF Old Man

I've already ordered MY subscription, and if I miss any issues I'm definitely getting my hands on them!!!! But how is the X-Men series?? If that's as good I'll get it too because I need some brush up on the vast abyss that is X-Men's history.

4. Samhaine

Samhaine Time To Relax

Ultimate X-Men is good too. I'm enjoying it. I would definately recommend picking it up.

Although I don't know if I can recommend Joe Casey's Uncanny X-Men run, which just started. His first issue left a bad taste in my mouth.

5. Batmite

Batmite Guest

i enjoy the ultimate series immensely. they are so much cooler than the regular stuff. it has better fights and more gore and stuff. it's really cool.:D