Ultimate Spider-Man "Guardians of the Galaxy" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Jul 21, 2013.

?

Rate and Comment on this "Ultimate Spider-Man" episide!

1. *****

25.0%
  2. ****1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. ****

50.0%
  4. ***1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. ***

12.5%
  6. **1/2

12.5%
  7. **

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Swing by for an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside the Marvel Universe today at 11:30am (ET/PT) on DisneyXD!

"Guardians of the Galaxy"
    Episode Premiere Date - July 21st, 2013
    Spider-Man and Nova team up with The Guardians of the Galaxy on a deep space adventure to save Earth from destruction.

Comments?

2. sparkykandy

sparkykandy New Member

Feeling lazy, so I'm going to copy and paste what I said on another forum here:

Saw "Guardians of the Galaxy." Fun episode. I am, however, disappointed by the fact that we barely learned anything new about Nova. So before he became part of Spidey's team, he used to go an adventures and stuff with the Guardians and that's it.

On the other hand, I find it kind of funny that Spidey's reaction to seeing a talking raccoon is wonder if he's hallucinating or not. You'd think that Spidey's seen enough strange stuff by now that a talking raccoon wouldn't be out of the ordinary.

3. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

^^^ Yeah I mean with Loki having turned him into a talking pig nothing should surprise this Spider-man. Of course you don't expect continuity from Ultimate Spider-man.

4. sparkykandy

sparkykandy New Member

This cartoon has continuity. (See the whole Goblin arc for example.) However, being a possible one-shot episode (unless they decide to revisit this plot line in the future) means that they're going to avoid referencing anything from past episodes.

5. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

This episode was pretty cool. It was fun seeing the Guardians kick all kinds of butt, and I was surprised (in a good way) that they used Korvac's original form. I wonder if we'll ever see his cosmic form... My one complaint would be the ending. It wasn't surprising at all, and they pulled the same thing with Iron Fist recently.

6. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Member

Quite true but this episode, from what I have learned from Marvel themselves was that, this was suppose to be the second episode of season 2 when the talked about the late Michael Clarke Duncan who voiced Groot.

7. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

"Respect the Garbage Man! Respect him!" - Rocket Raccoon

Interesting that Nova mentions both Chitauri and Skrulls; I guess here, they are different races and not the Skrull renamed.

Captain America on KP was amusing.

Its a shame that they've pretty much (Marvel, not MOA) seem to ignore the Thanos-based origin of Drax the Destroyer.

I don't know who voiced Gamora, but her voice was whiskey-smooth.

Disappointing ending. I wish Nova would have stayed with the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Star-Lord's recitation of the great heroes of Earth included Captain Marvel - so are we talking Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Minica Rambeau, or Carol Danvers? One wonders, although I presume Carol Danvers. Shame she hasn't guest-starred anywhere yet.

"I am Groot!" - its all in the intonation and context. Like Zathras.

Disappointing ending. I wish Nova had gone with the Guardians and out of the series.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2013
  8. Infinite-bit

Infinite-bit New Member

Gamora was voiced by Tia Taxada she played the lady on the subway in the "Amazing Spider-Man" movie.

9. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

I think there's only one thing that can be said about this episode and it's this: I am Groot.

10. Captain Travis

Captain Travis New Member

Good episode overall like some people said the end wasnt great. Drax sort of felt generic but hey I guess its still Spider-Man's show. GROOT! Was perfect. Wish MCD was still with us to play him in the film. Gamora had a perfect voice! Star-Lord was okay wish he had his other helmet. Rockets voice though was not my cup of tea, I prefer the cockney accent. Oh and Medinnus, Marvel isn't ignoring the fact that Drax was created to destroy thanos its brought up quite a bit in the past few years.

11. suss2it

suss2it New Member

Good, solid episode. It was really cool to see the Guardians even though I'm a completely new fan, only having read Bendis' new relaunch. I was disappointed that the Guardians didn't do much except for fighting, therefore we didn't really get to see much of their personalities with the exception of Rocket Raccoon.

Same. And since he didn't, they could have at least given us a teary-eyed goodbye between him and the Guardians instead of wasting time trying to fake us out.

Star-Lord's recitation of the great heroes of Earth included Captain Marvel - so are we talking Mar-Vell, Genis-Vell, Minica Rambeau, or Carol Danvers? One wonders, although I presume Carol Danvers. Shame she hasn't guest-starred anywhere yet.

According to the credits it was Nika Futterman who voiced Gamora.

12. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

It certainly sounded like Nika Futterman.

While certainly not a bad episode, I wasn't surprised to find that out of the Team-focus episodes, Nova's was the weakest in my opinion.

It doesn't help that the episode barely really focused on Nova at all. Not a single moment spent relaying his origins, why he came to Earth, why he's a jerk to everybody but the Guardians, or even a moment where his friendship with Spidey is put to the test and deepens at the end of the episode. I think it says a lot about the Spidey/Nova relationship that at the end they only shook hands and didn't hug it out like the other members of the Team did. I can't even say Nova grew in this episode like the other Team members did, because he really didn't.

I was a bit surprised that Bendis wrote this episode. Not because it didn't make sense, because considering his involvement with their modern incarnation I can see why he'd want to write the episode. It's like in the Guardians' appearance in EMH, where the episode was written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. But what surprised me is that I thought for sure he'd be writing the Luke Cage episode that's next week considering his love of the character and the involvement of Scorpio. Not that there's really anything stopping him, but I'm not expecting Bendis to write two episodes in a row.

The Guardians as a whole were pretty cool, both in action and design wise. But aside from Rocket Raccoon and to a degree Star Lord, I wish the episode had spent more time showing us what they were like as characters instead of just having Nova tell us about them. It struck me as lazy storytelling, and I felt the EMH appearance of the Guardians did a better job of introducing them.

But the real star of this episode was most definitely Groot. I was unsure about him at first when he was in that pot, even a little disappointed, but it was all redeemed by the end. I think I can say Michael Clarke Duncan wasn't wasted here as I feared he would be. Groot was indeed awesome. Though the "I am Groot" at the end was a little unnecessary.

There were some legitimately funny jokes, par for the course of a Bendis penned episode, though I still don't think any of his episodes have beaten the Wolverine team up in terms of quality.

So can I say I like Nova now anymore than I did before, as was the case with previous Team-focus episodes? No, not really. In fact I was actually happy when I thought he was staying with the Guardians, and was immediately disappointed to learn it was a fake-out. Still, a decent episode of Ultimate Spider-Man is better than nothing in my mind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2013
  13. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator

Actually, this version of Korvac is the original, first introduced in 1975 in Giant-Size Defenders #3. He was an anti-Badoon warlord from 2977 AD who'd had his lower half replaced with a weapons platform, so it made perfect sense for him to use the Chitauri as thugs, more or less. The later evolution of Korvac into the Korvac cosmic-powered fellow was a later evolution of the character, who was, to use your own words, "Korvac" in name only and a perfect example of how some writers essentially change enough about a character to make it a different character (and how annoying it is).

14. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi

Rocket Raccoon was way more developed and had a lot more to do here unlike in his first animated appearance on Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Tremendous episode overall. This Korvac appearance was also not unlike his storyline in the Captain America story, Extreme Prejudice. He was more of an armored dictator there as well.

15. Frontier

Frontier Moderator Staff Member

Huh. My apologies to the creative team then.

And wholeheartedly agreed on that last statement.

16. Darth_Cygnus

Darth_Cygnus New Member

Good episode.
    The Guardians had nice designs, good fighting scenes and great voices. Rocket Raccoon and Groot were awesome. Their interactions with Spidey were well done.
    Seeing the Chitauri and Korvac here was cool.

Unlike Ava and Danny, Sam didn´t grow as a character. The most interesting thing is that Rocket is his mentor (awesome Yoda/Luke scene). Nova has the heart and powers of a hero but he needs to work on his attitude.
    Funny enough I was also disappointed (like many others) when Nova decided to stay on Earth. Could have been the opportunity to have a new recruit join the team.

Darth Cygnus

17. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Member

From what I am hearing a new girl is joining the team.

18. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

I know that it was done because the Chitauri were originally Skrull with a different name but I don't like the way the LA movie and this show portray them. They have a cool zombie/mummy like designs but are pretty much the grunts of the galaxy.

Yeah Nova did not grow as a character. All we know is that he acts different around kids his own age then he does with adults. He kind of reminds me of beastboy from the Teen Titans cartoon that was who was much more mature when Doom Patrol shown up.

19. macattack

macattack I see you!

Really. Where are you hearing this?

20. Infinite-bit

Infinite-bit New Member

Funny the Ultimate Spider-Man wiki credits Tia Taxada as Gamora and looking up Futterman's and Taxada's Imdb pages neither of them were credited as Gamora.