Ultimate Spider-Man "Flight of the Iron Spider" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 22, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - USM "Flight of the Iron Spider"

1. *****

5.0%
  2. ****1/2

10.0%
  3. ****

20.0%
  4. ***1/2

30.0%
  5. ***

5.0%
  6. **1/2

10.0%
  7. **

5.0%
  8. *1/2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. *

5.0%
  10. 1

10.0%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD today starting at 11:00am (ET/PT)!

Ultimate Spider-Man "Flight of the Iron Spider"
    Episode Premiere Date - April 22nd, 2012
    When Spider-Man meets Iron Man, one of his favorite super heroes, he receives an Iron Spider suit developed specially for him by Tony Stark. Spidey must learn how to operate the complex suit before jeopardizing his relationship with his fellow teen super heroes.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 New Member

I don't know if this had been addressed yet, but when Spider-Man gets the Iron Spider suit, is he going to use it all the time, or will it be every now and then? I would think that getting the Iron Spider suit would make him want to use it more than his normal suit.

3. Chaotix12345

Chaotix12345 Shine Like Rainbows

Okay, the Superhero Squad cameos made this episode. Absolutely hysterical. :lol:

4. BigEclipse

BigEclipse New Member

I can't lie, I laughed out loud on more than one occasion during this episode. Still doesn't feel like a Spider-Man show, though.

5. sparkykandy

sparkykandy New Member

Personally thinks that this series gets slightly better with each episode. While I didn't care the plot of Spidey does something stupid and learns a lesson from it, I did like the rest of the episode.

Found Spider-Man's man-crush on Iron Man somewhat amusing. Also, liked it when the villain (whose name I don't remember) ended up in the Super Hero Squad universe and immediately got whacked by Thor.

6. Manhunter

Manhunter Super-Tech Cat Ninja Guy

I have a confession to make: I geeked out at the Spider-Ham cameo.

7. macattack

macattack I see you!

Okay, I admit it, the Super Hero Squad cameo made me laugh. Only took this series five episodes to do it.

8. LordTerminal

LordTerminal The old-school DK is back!

You're right. It feels like this should've starred Deadpool. Love the Superhero Squad Show cameos though. As someone who's never watched that show, does Living Laser even appear in that cartoon to begin with?

9. Webbed-Wonder

Webbed-Wonder Still thwipping!

It was an ok episode, still not liking how immature Spidey acts.

The best part bar none was the Spider-Ham cameo and the Super Hero Squad stuff, that was totally unexpected and honestly hilarious. :D

10. Knightmare

Knightmare New Member

I really liked and enjoyed this episode, but even so this series still really dis-jointed and feels like it has no idea what it wants to be. More and more this feels like a Marvel "kiddie" version of Family Guy with Spider-Man in the lead role. Some of the cut away gags are cute like the Spider-Ham and Super Hero Squad cameos but over all this series feels like its trying too hard to be hip.

What really bugs me is that the premise of this series a young inexperienced Spider-Man getting training from Shield and working with young heroes is very promising but it's really really not being executed well at all.

11. Gold Guy

Gold Guy This ain't Pokemon!

According to Wikipedia, he hasn't.

Anyway, for this episode, I'm mixed:

As an Iron Man fan, it was cool seeing him. He one-shotted Living Laser in the first few minutes, and gave Peter a cool suit. And some of the fights were well done.

On the other hand, Peter is still a jerk, I only like Iron Fist out of all his partners, and Spidey has such a cool suit, and yet for the most part, can't even use it right?

Still, it certainly wasn't awful.

12. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Spider-Ham and SHS cameos was the only good thing to come out of this episode. Peter Parker being a jerk really killed it for me.

13. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

The Superhero Squad cameos were probably the funniest gag the show's done so far. Gotta love how SHS Thor hams it up.

14. Chaos Yoshi Mage

Chaos Yoshi Mage The Lonely Raven

Two things: The Superhero Squad Show bits were hilarious and Adrian Pasdar has gotten better at voicing Tony Stark/Iron Man and I say this as someone that watched two episodes of the Iron Man anime today. The rest of the show wasn't very good though...

15. Sketch

Sketch not like those other old guys

Spider-Man is way too much of a jerk in this series and it's grating on me.

The SHSS and Spider-Ham cameos were clever. I liked seeing Spidey in the SHSS style.

If I don't think of this as a Spider-Man show I can somewhat enjoy it but as a Spider-Man show it is failing on so many levels.

At least this episode offered some genuine laughs.

16. araffa13045

araffa13045 New Member

I did not like this episode. But I did laugh at the SHS cameo but thats about it. I feel this show is trying way to hard in every way Just cut back on the gags. I HOPE next week is better.

17. reflection

reflection Active Member

It's just not funny. Maybe it's funny to adolescent boys but it's not funny to me.

The Iron Man design was very bland.

The characters haven't become more likable. I like Iron Fist, but you may as well add "Confucious say" before all of his lines.

I think I'm going to read reviews before watching this from now on. As of now, it's wasting time before I watch A:EMH, Fox animation, and Mad Men.

18. Frontier

Frontier Active Member

I'm not saying I didn't enjoy this episode, I thought it was overall decent, but I really just can't stand the Spider-Man characterization. The first two episodes I thought he was fine, but after that he's descended into basically a caricature of Rex from Generator Rex except without the Spanish and with some Deadpool added in for good measure. Macattack had a good point when he said that Man Of Action is basically writing Spider-Man as the type of protagonist they usually write, which isn't who Spider-Man is. And this is coming from a guy who enjoyed Generator Rex!

Peter Parker isn't perfect, but he's definitely not a jerk. Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker? He's kinda a jerk.

I'm still going to watch the show and hopefully, and I mean hopefully, it'll get better. Though I take solace knowing that right after it is Avengers, which I know I'll enjoy.

19. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

Look on the bright side guys - this show probably won't last more than two seasons given the short life span of cartoons, especially action cartoons.

20. Choppasmith

Choppasmith Member

Well I definitely have to echo the sentiments for the Spider-ham and the out-of-the-blue SHS cameo (with Thor even!) were great.

I really think the show is getting even better with this episode (gags more subtle and less overdone compared to the first few episodes, basically more in line with TT)

I haven't seen the Iron Man Anime yet, but I'm kinda meh on not hearing Eric Loomis' voice.

I really can't share the same sentiment toward Peter's "personality problems" you guys do. I just see it as a different interpretation, nothing more. But then I really liked Super Hero Squad so I must be crazy, right?

I WILL say I think the show's really lacking is character development with the rest of the team. I know this is Spider-man, but they really should give a little insight as to what makes the characters the way they are. Yeah I agree with people that White Tiger just seems like a token female made to go "Eww Boys", Power Man is just "there" and Nova's there just to give Spider-man a bad time. Although again, I think it really got better with the last couple of episodes and I'm just as optimistic as ever that the show will really shine by the end of the 1st Season into Season 2. If they simply made a couple episodes that fleshed out these guys a little more (like maybe a back story that basically comes full circle into the present) we'd be good.

But again, I do feel like this show is slowly heading in the right direction. It's still it's own unique beast that's not to people's tastes, but a charmingly different beast for sure.