Ultimate Spider-Man "Doomed" Talkback (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 8, 2012.

?

Rate and Comment - Ultimate Spider-Man "Doomed"

1. *****

14.6%
  2. ****1/2

4.2%
  3. ****

20.8%
  4. ***1/2

6.3%
  5. ***

12.5%
  6. **1/2

4.2%
  7. **

12.5%
  8. *1/2

4.2%
  9. *

8.3%
  10. 1/2

12.5%
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey Administrator

Check out an all-new episode of Ultimate Spider-Man inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD today starting at 11:00am (ET/PT)!

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Spider-Man "Doomed"
    Episode Premiere Date - April 8th, 2012
    Spider-Man and his fellow teen super heroes have their first training session together. After some intense competition, they decide to venture to Latveria to capture the infamous super villain Doctor Doom, but their plan soon backfires

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

2. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

So far I'm enjoying this episode a bit more then the first two. The cut away jokes don't seem as numerous or random. There still is too much talking down to the viewer and immature jokes but Doom seems like himself so far, Even this silly show knows you have to play DOOM straight.

3. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

Okay, I knew that they would end up capturing a Doombot, but I wasn't expecting it to go all Russian doll on us.

4. Dragnatek

Dragnatek New Member

The moment they captured Doom I knew it was a Doom Bot. That was way too easy. anyway yeah this was an improvement over the first two episodes to me and did a better job being silly and serous when it needed to be. I'm enjoying the show but it has a long way to go.

5. alexnvrmnd

alexnvrmnd New Member

This episode was God awful. This show is God awful. The cutaways aren't even close to being funny, and it's just way too silly. They've turned Spider-man into freakin' Teen Titans, maybe even worse. After the first two episodes, I was ready to chuck the show, but I figured I'd give it another shot. No more; I'm done.

6. sparkykandy

sparkykandy New Member

Didn't feel like that any major improvements were made, but it did feel like they cut down on the cut-away gags to a degree. The humor was hit and miss. Didn't care for the jet-pack running gag but did like the school budget running gag.

I'm hoping that any and all character development sticks instead of going back to square one. While having everybody learn to work as a team was fine for this episode, I hope that it sticks, and we don't have to deal with anymore let's learn to work together episodes for the future.

7. M.O.D.O.K.

M.O.D.O.K. Scientist Supreme

A little better than last week's, but it's not saying much. The gags and jokes still ruin most of the show. The jetpack thing was annoyingly stupid, and Spidey's "WHOA" when the others stepped up to take responsibility completely ruined what could have been a great moment. The ONLY remotely amusing part was Coulson worried about his cover job as a principal, and that's stretching it.

Doom was played surprisngly straight in this one, and while not as impressive as his showing in the other show, I am glad they didn't reduce Doom to typical 80's villain that gets easily defeated.

8. Mistah K88

Mistah K88 New Member

I knew it was a Doom Bot as soon as Doom was taken down (If it wasn't a Doom Bot this show would go on the list of most disrespectful comic based cartoons ever). I liked this episode better than the last couple; however that's not saying too much as it still manages to hit such a sour note with me. Also, I swear to God, Thor, AND Darkseid if I see that stupid jetpack gag one more time I will actually go crazy and commit a murder... Well, at least Doom was played completely straight...However I did enjoy him more on Avengers EMH.

9. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Trickin' N Treatin'

I think I actually liked this one less than last week's episodes but I was glad to hear LaMarche surprise me as Doom's voice. I wasn't really sure what to expect prior to seeing this. It was probably my tv but the look of the episode felt pretty off. Everything felt a little stilted.

Not to be too hard on the episode, I do think that things started coming together once we see the kids using actual teamwork. Most of the gags and cutaways didn't do it for me but I did like the brief Dinner With Fury scene. The reuse of the jet pack cutaway was pretty irritating though. I just wish that an equal amount of focus was going into building likable characters as was going into figuring out what joke goes where.

10. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

I didn't find this episode as funny as the last two, but it still kept my attention better than Avengers did this week.

I liked Coulson obsessing over the school budget and White Tiger's inability to compliment Spider-Man: "Spider-Man, you're a geniu . . .you gave me an idea."

I think I've also pegged what makes this Nova different from the other Nova from the comics. The old Nova, before he became the biggest superhero in the galaxy, was kind of a low self esteem case. This guy Sam Alexander seems as cocky as anything.

11. Dudley

Dudley Moderator

If there's one character I don't like on the show, it's White Tiger. Almost every other line coming out of her mouth is "you guys are all stupid!" or something of that effect.

12. MetroSparkster

MetroSparkster ...has nothing to say.

Or he could pretend to lose and handle infiltration of the Helicarrier himself. But then again, his ego wouldn't allow him to get his hands dirty, let alone throw a fight to a bunch of kids.

Anyway, this show can be a bit too silly, but it's still enjoyable.

13. Zack

Zack stuff

Yeah, she strikes me as the token female character who's smarter and more competent than the male characters in her group. And it really shows in several instances.

I'm also not liking Spider-Man's personality too much. He comes off as way too much of an obnoxious, arrogant jerk.

14. AdamYJ

AdamYJ The Saturday Morning Kid

I know her from the Avengers Academy comics, so I kind of know her story. Her big brother was the original White Tiger, who was the first big Latino superhero. So she's a bit of a perfectionist and she tries a little too hard to show what she's capable of because she's got big shoes to fill. I suppose without any backstory she just seems like a jerk for no reason, though.

I wonder if the supporting heroes will get any spotlight on their lives and backgrounds in this show. I know it's Spidey's show, but still.

15. spartanx54

spartanx54 New Member

I liked this a lot better than the first two episodes. I also thought the jet pack gag was beyond stupid. Overall, I liked this episode, the show is improving with every episode.

16. MarvelManiac

MarvelManiac New Member

I liked it. This series, to me, is growing, and is getting better with each episode. It seems that the heroes are going to start working together as a team now, and are going to be less show-boaty. There were also some hilarious and unexpected moments:

Russian-doll doombots ftw!

Spidey doesn't know if Doom is an emperor or a king. :D

Coulson taking his cover-job too seriously: "I need the entire S.H.I.E.L.D. legal teams help! How much meat, legally, has to be in something called "meat"-loaf?"

Spidey tuning Fury out. "The objective is to cross the room without triggering any alarms blah, blah, blah, blah." "This goes on for about 5 minutes. Let's watch me in a jetpack again!"

Mini-doombot’s threat cannot be taken seriously with that high-pitched voice. Then gets sent flying into the wall by Iron Man. Also, when they’re invading Latveria, when White Tiger destroys a doom-bot “Only 3 days….until retirement.”

White Tiger almost compliments Spider-Man. "Spider-Man, you're a geniu . . .you gave me an idea."

Iron Fist agrees, as a boy, that Spidey and Nova are the two stupidest boys ever.

Doom being portrayed as a bad-ass who won't take jack from anybody. "Fury dares attack me on sovereign ground?!"

17. Villano

Villano New Member

I decided to give the show another shot. You can count me in the "better than the previous episodes, but that's not much of a compliment" camp. I might check in on this show if there's a guest star I want to watch, but there's nothing I'm seeing here that makes me want to tune in regularly.

18. JTMarsh

JTMarsh Wing Commander

As expected Doom was the best part of the episode.

19. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

That's what you get when you add Man of Action into the group since most of their characters always come as obnoxious and arrogant jerks.

20. Lighthammer

Lighthammer Bringer of the Light

Yea, I am going to have to echo everyone else --- this episode SUCKED --- SUCKED HORRIBLY.

I said last week that I thought this series had potential to improve upon itself, but there is simply too much gags going on and not enough serious plot.

I mean I half chuckled the first time we saw Spidey on a jet pack, I groaned the second time it came up and I almost threw my shoe at the TV the last time they showed it.

I hope they don't have a huge backlog of episodes done already. If this series doesn't get better by episode 5, I am probably going to start asking myself if this whole Disney acquisition of Marvel was the worst thing to ever happen in history.

Yea, this series probably needs to go away, let someone else retool the scripts and start it over with some sort of disclosure at the beginning saying "Yea, those first X episode, they didn't happen. We're sorry. They will never played anywhere again legally, ever!"

The designs aren't bad. The script just needs to be tossed and redone.