1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpaceWay2008

SpaceWay2008 Member

Oh, man, I guess we have wait to a little longer. I'm looking forward to this new series.

2. PunkPhantom

PunkPhantom Addicted to Toons & Tunes

Oh, for some I thought it wasn't coming out until Fall 2012, so this is actually sort of good news for me.:sweat:

3. CyclonatorZ

CyclonatorZ Active Member

Honestly, I'm a little worried that they've pushed Ultimate Spiderman back, as that means that not a single new Marvel cartoon will be premering in 2011. In contrast, DC has both the real premier of Young Justice and Green Lantern on the docket this year, in addition to both a new Batman cartoon and another unidentified animated project in the works for 2012. As much as I'm loving Avengers: EMH, if Disney really wants to compete with Warner Brothers, they really need to step up their game and get some more projects underway. I think others have mentioned that new X-men and Fantastic Four cartoons done in the style of Avengers would be idea, and combined with the latter show and Ultimate Spiderman, Marvel could potentially offer their own answer to the DCAU.

4. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Does anybody have any speculation or predictions as to how the Ultimate versions of these character will be adaptated for this show? Any theories?

5. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Most likely this is going to be a distilled version of the story and I doubt it'll be that faithful. A lot of the material covered in the comic is TV-PG and even PG-13, and covers a lot of topics DXD will be reluctant to show. There's gun violence, Spider-Man gets badly beaten up on multiple occasions, and there's some truly monstrous villains (both figuratively and literally). Not to mention a LOT of characters get killed off in the comic, and there's a heavy dose of romance too which I bet will get ironed out or at least downplayed. Plus, the current trend in Spider-Man is to promote Gwen Stacy above Mary Jane, and the Ultimate comic kinda goes against that, and I expect that to change for the animated version.

I also think the mood will be more along the lines of Generator Rex, which is still dark for a TV cartoon, but doesn't dive heavily into weightier topics like death, romance, etc.

6. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

What about the villains, You think they'll be altered?

7. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Deadpool will likely shift to his new personality shown in the Shattered Dimensions video game, where he's more like his "standard" (aka Universe-616) self, by breaking the fourth wall, dropping punchlines galore, etc.

They might also change Rhino to be more talkative. Other than that, I don't expect many changes to the villains cosmetically.

The biggest changes would be to fit in with the distilled storyline, as well as marketing the show to the new, younger target demographic. DXD wants the TV-Y7FV crowd, not the TV-PG crowd, with this show, unless I'm sorely mistaken. If this toon is TV-PG I expect a lot more to stay than if it's TV-Y7FV.

I am also unsure if they will follow the comic's pattern of incorporating superheroes from other franchises into the story, like Shadowcat, Iceman, Human Torch, etc. Marvel and Disney may decide they're better off staying in their own franchises and not emigrate to Spider-Man's. A lot of people like Shadowcat in particular though so I would expect her to at least do a guest-spot.

I do not expect this cartoon to be a good adaptation of the comic, but I think the end result has the potential to be a good cartoon in spite of the likely heavy decay. As long as I put my fanboyism aside, I think I will enjoy the toon.

8. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

For Green Goblin they might slim him down and give him the goblin glider just so the kids know who he is. He's been officially dead in the comics for a while so they can pretty much do what they want

9. Mr. NickerNacker

Mr. NickerNacker New Member

Well, Marvel does have the Marvel Anime shows airing in the US on G4 this year.

10. CyclonatorZ

As interesting change-ups to the usual superhero cartoon formula, the animes are all right, but with only twelve episodes a piece, they're not what Marvel really needs to compete with DC. I'm talking about full-scale cartoons that have the potential to run for multiple seasons, and so far all they have for this year is the 2010-debuting Avengers: EMH. Hopefully by the middle of 2011 they'll announce some additional projects to go with Ultimate Spiderman, but I'm not counting on anything.

11. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Well not only that but Bendis has gone on record saying that Green Goblin and Hobgoblin were the only things he'd "do over" on the supervillain side, so maybe they will be remade to resemble Bendis' preferred vision.

12. adoptedBatpuppy

adoptedBatpuppy Confidence is the Key

I do not get why Disney and WB or should I say DC and Marvel has to compete with each other over their shows. These shows are shown on different channels and they are all enjoyable in their own way! :cool:

13. CyclonatorZ

It's the inevitable reality of buisiness. With perhaps the exception of that crossover comic, Marvel and DC's various characters and products have always been competing with each other for consumer's dollars and market shares. And if one of them offers a wider, better variety of shows/comics/etc than the other, it's more likely they'll succeed and benifit the networks they air on.

That's why, if Marvel wants to really compete with DC in the animation industry, it's critical that they get more shows and DTVs in the works. They already have the advantage over DC in the movie industry (Batman not withstanding), but as of now DC has twice as many shows airing or in the works.

Oh, I forgot - they are at least making a second season of Iron Man: Armored Avengers, so that will supplement their lineup for another year. But Iron Man already has a huge role in the Avengers cartoon, so I don't know whether that will affect anything or not.

14. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Well what did Bendis preferred them to be, closer to 616?

15. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

They mentioned early on that he would have som team ups with other heroes, so Torch and Iceman would actually be likely.

As for pushing it back a bit, makes sense since the first season has around 20 episodes.

And CyclonatorZ, i don't think either sees it as a competition, they both just want to focus on making their shows.

It always seems like it's just the fanboys that think of it as competing. Anyway, it's better that they take their time with it. There's no need to rush it you know.

16. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Are you guessing, or was their an interview where someone mentioned the episode count?

I agree. There's clearly room for both DC & Marvel toons and the fact they don't air against each other means people could watch both Earth's Mightiest Heroes & Young Justice. In fact here in Canada, Teletoon has a block that include shows from both Marvel & DC.

17. Venom Melendez

Venom Melendez Active Member

It was mentioned in an interview with Paul Dini, he mentions 26 episodes.

18. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

Some how I don't expect Green Goblin to be a full monster

So what did Bendis preferred them to be?

Mod Note: There's no need for successive posting when using the multi-quote function will suffice.

19. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Member

If I had to take a guess, it'd likely be a few shades closer to 616.

20. brickrrb2

brickrrb2 Active Member

The problem faced here is that Spectacular Spiderman set the bar so high

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.