1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Just in time for Halloween, enter for a chance to win a $50 Gift Card from FUN.com! Details here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Guy

Gold Guy Ride On
    Staff Member Moderator

I honestly feel pretty bad for Norman. He honestly tried to be a better person, and a better father, but then Octavius wrecked everything...

2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Peace Loving Shinobi
    Reporter

I think Harry becoming the Hobgoblin in season 3 would progress the storyline of this world nicely. Perhaps he becomes so obsessed with getting revenge on Spider-Man for what happened to his father that he decides to become the Hobgoblin himself in order to beat him.

3. suss2it

suss2it Active Member

Hobgoblin showing up and being Harry would be cool, but I feel like we already got as much as we're gonna get out of him being a villain through his time as Venom. And if Hobgoblin does show up I hope they move away from the Ultimate design. For the most part I do like the Ultimate redesigns but I think the Green Goblin was one of the few missteps.

4. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I agree. Harry's never been truly evil, he's just been manipulated by evil. That's not ruling out a transformation into Hobgoblin, though. It's pretty damn clear that in this series getting Goblined immediately makes you evil.

5. strugler

strugler Member

Am i the only one who is hoping that The Amazing Spider-Man 2 makes a billion dollars so that Marvel reboots the animated series to be more closer to the movies?

They did it for Avengers why not for Spidey?

I mean USM is as far as it can get from the Movie universe.

Plus with Marvel making an Iron fist and Luke Cage TV series that are going to be as far from their cartoon version as possible, i really think USM will not get renewed for Season 4. I think we are bound to gte a new Spidey series by 2016 maybe. Anybody agrees?

6. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

Uh no.......as much as i dislike USM i prefer that it does it's own stories by it's own right instead of going more with the movies. Avengers Assemble isn't exactly a smash hit that Disney is hoping for, the reason it got another season or i would say better "survived" it's because of the merchandise. USM would be more boring and annoying if it keeps using a ton of reference from the films as we have seen on AA.

I really can't agree with you on that.

7. Kumori MC

Kumori MC Member

Well, that's a toughie.

You see, all the movie rights for Spidey go to Sony, and Marvel is now pretty heavy on the Avengers brand. Whether we'll get a new Spider-man series, I don't know, but it seems unlikely. Expect AA and HatAoS to get at least one more season each. And the USM Spidey is more or less canon to that universe.

I don't know, I really want a more serious Spidey show, but it's not likely that we will get one soon.

8. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

I don't expect Spider-Man to become more like the Sony movies. Marvel is going to use Spidey to push the Avengers who they own 100% instead of giving Sony free publicity.

9. Frontier

Frontier Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

Which explains why this series just barely qualifies as a Spider-Man show :sweat:.

I think we're lucky the creators even bothered to bring in Spider-Man elements like his supporting cast and villains, underused and badly utilized as they are.

10. TheVileOne

Reporter

If that was really the case than we wouldn't have an animated Spider-Man show about to get a third season at all. Spider-Man is still Marvel's property. Not everything is about punking other studios that have licensed out their characters.

A big reason they started this show in 2012 was to have synergy with The Amazing Spider-Man movie. So they are already giving Sony tons of free publicity. How will that be rectified?

Not really. Spider-Man's storyline with Harry and Norman/Green Goblin is one of the major storylines of the show. Plus all throughout season 2 you had Spider-Man battling Doctor Octopus and the Sinister Six, all major Spider-Man rogues. There was also a season long storyline with Peter trying to save Curt Connors after he became The Lizard which was a recurring storyline.

11. macattack

macattack I see you!
    Staff Member Reporter

Are you deliberately misinterpreting what I said? I never said Marvel would never create a Spider-Man show or not create a third season for USM. What they are trying to do is use Spider-Man's popularity as a way to boost the Avengers and other comic characters that Marvel owns 100% across all realms of media. Making a Spider-Man show that features a lot of guest stars and rogues from across the Marvel Universe that Spider-Man doesn't usually fight serves that purpose.

You keep going on and on about 'major storylines' and all of that, but the truth is that these 'major storylines' don't have ramifications in each and every episode, there's very little buildup to them like in other cartoons like Legend of Korra, Naruto Shippuden, or Young Justice. The battles with Doc Ock and the Sinister Six were not throughout all of season 2. The Sinister Six were front-loaded at the beginning of Season 2 and then used one final time near Season 2's conclusion. Spider-Man trying to save Curt Connors also had very little bearing on the season, only brought up when the writers felt like it.

Frontier is right. The few Spider-Man supporting cast and rogues that USM are using are being underused and badly utilized. It barely qualifies as a Spider-Man show, especially as Peter Parker is woefully out of character, as he's basically a Ben Tennyson expy. If you asked me before USM whether Peter Parker would make it through two seasons of a show without a girlfriend, I would have laughed so hard. And yet . . . that came true.

12. King_of_doom

King_of_doom kiva fan

The way you mention it, reminds of Stu's review on Hawkeye from the first season of the 90's cartoon Iron Man with the supporting cast, underused and badly utilized but unlike USM, the 2nd season got better with the development of the cast.

13. sparkykandy

sparkykandy Member

So you guys never heard of half arc seasons? Because that's what the main story lines in this series are.

14. Roxas_Sora

Roxas_Sora Well-Known Member

Anyone has a link to a preview or a clip for tomorrow's episode of "Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H."? I heard it's going to be about Venom, and therefore, with Spider-Man as a "invited character".

15. TheVileOne

Reporter

Considering the amount of time put around the Connors storyline, it had much more than a little bearing on season 2. In terms of other characters, another major storyline this season was Spider-Man working to restore Green Goblin back to Norman Osborn and how Norman becoming the Goblin affected his relationship with Harry his best friend. And Spider-Man even turned to Doc Ock for help. This resulted in Doctor Octopus eventually escaping and coming back to reform the Sinister Six after he had been captured earlier.

You say that Marvel is just using this show to push their 100% owned characters instead of giving Sony free publicity. But that doesn't make any sense. They premiered this show to coincide with the release of Amazing Spider-Man. So that alone contradicts the free publicity argument. The show has incorporated a great deal of Spider-Man and other rogues throughout the show. In terms of guest stars, many of them are characters Spider-Man has had team-ups or involvement with in the past. If not all of them are not typical Spider-Man rogues, that sounds like a good thing. Not every show has to follow the same precedent or do the same things as earlier shows. In 52 episodes, the show has done a good mix of utilizing Spider-Man villains and characters and also other Marvel characters.

Batman: Brave and the Bold frequently had Batman teaming up with guest stars usually out of his wheelhouse and also facing threats outside of the classic Batman rogues gallery as well. It did something different, and so is this show. As a result, it's become very successful.

16. sparkykandy

sparkykandy Member

So, apparently with the exception of Electro, they're using this show's character designs for the Spidey villains for Marvel Universe Live thing. All I can say is how the heck are they going to manage to pull the Green Goblin?! Never got the sense that his design would translate well to live action.

17. TheVileOne

Reporter

[​IMG]

18. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

What is Marvel Universe Live?

19. TheVileOne

Reporter

20. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

Reminds me of how they used to have live shows for stuff like Thundercats, Silverhawks and Muppet Babies in the 80s or like what Nick does with Dora and Diego.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.