1. We are looking for a volunteer to help out with entering the DC and Marvel comics solicitations. If you are interested, please contact Harley.
    Dismiss Notice

"Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'The Marvel Animation Forum' started by James Harvey, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Harvey

James Harvey The World's Finest
    Staff Member Administrator Moderator Reporter

Spider-Man swings into action in the exciting Ultimate Spider-Man animated series from Marvel Animation and Disney XD! Use this thread - the seventh installment in this ongoing discussion - to converse about the latest news and rumors for this ultimate animated series.

[​IMG]
    Sundays at 11:00am (ET) on Disney XD.
    Ultimate Spider-Man Series Description:
    Stay tuned for further updates here and at Marvel Animation Age as more new develops! Also check for more details at Marvel Animation Age Ultimate Spider-Man subsite!

Previous Discussion:
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part One (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Two (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Three (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Four (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Five (Spoilers)
    Ultimate Spider-Man (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part Six (Spoilers)

Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion. Keep your posts the thoughtful, relevant and insightful. Do not post any improper or inflammatory material, in addition to conducting yourself in a proper and civilized manner. And please, don't post for just the sake of posting. Have something of worth to add to the conversation. We will issue warnings and infractions if we believe it necessary. Remember, keep discussions ON-TOPIC!

2. Wonder Woman

Wonder Woman Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Teletoon plans to air any episodes past the 26th episode? I imagine we'll have to wait similar to AEMH. I don't mind watching the episodes on iTunes but if I can watch them on TV I prefer to.

3. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

I'm sorry if this turns out to be off-topic or spam, but from looking at Part One of the Ultimate Spider-Man News and Discussion (and various other message board USM threads from 2010), people were just as angry at Ultimate Spider-Man when it was first announced to this very day. Wow.

Anyways, any new episode descriptions released yet?

4. James Harvey

New episode descriptions were added to the Marvel Animation Age Ultimate Spider-Man subsite over the weekend.

2-09 House Arrest
    Original Airdate - April 7th, 2013
    Spider-Man and his team have to fight for their lives in Aunt May’s house when S.H.I.E.L.D.’s security system turns into a death-trap.

2-10 The Man-Wolf
    Original Airdate - April 14th, 2013
    Spider-Man and his team travel to the moon to save the son of Spidey’s greatest critic, J. Jonah Jameson -- but a bizarre threat awaits them on the lunar surface.

5. Webbed-Wonder

Webbed-Wonder Still thwipping!

Looking forward to the Man-Wolf episode, always nice to see a lower-key Spidey villain popping up. John's only turned into Man-Wolf in Spider-Man Unlimited before. The other one I saw a commercial for the other day, didn't look too exciting.

6. Rick Jones

Rick Jones Hero Fan
    Staff Member Moderator

7. Ultra8

Ultra8 Now all I/You can do

If it's one thing you can appreciate about the show, it's is use of obscure Spidey and Marvel U characters.

8. Webbed-Wonder

I don't know, I'd like to see bigger appearances from the likes of characters like Doop and Howard the Duck rather than them just being relegated to inside-joke cameos.

9. James Harvey

Marvel Entertainment has posted a new video clip from the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man episode "The Man-Wolf." "The Man-Wolf" airs Sunday, April 14th, 2013 at 11:00am (ET/PT) as part of the Marvel Universe programming block on Disney XD. Check the clip out below.

[video=youtube;XBXvRpt9sI0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBXvRpt9sI0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

10. bigdaddy313

bigdaddy313 Well-Known Member

11. Webbed-Wonder

Yep, Nolan North as John Jameson. Man-Wolf looks awesome. His suit reminds me of what he wears in the comics.

12. James Harvey

Marvel has provided an additional clip from the upcoming Ultimate Spider-Man episode "The Man-Wolf." Click the image below to view it in the Quicktime format.

[​IMG]
    Ultimate Heroes. Ultimate Villains. Ultimate Responsibility.

Spider-Man must lead his team of teen heroes against the greatest assembly of super villains the world has ever seen! Season Two of the hit series ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN continues as Spider-Man and his team travel to the moon to save the son of Spidey’s greatest critic – J. Jonah Jameson. But with a bizarre threat waiting for them on the surface, will they be able to make it out in one piece?

Don’t miss the next amazing episode of ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN debuts this Sunday at 11a/10c inside Marvel Universe on Disney XD.

13. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

Any episode info for May?

14. James Harvey

No new Ultimate Spider-Man episodes are currently slated to air in May 2013 on Disney XD.

15. Capt. Speedbump

My best guess is that they need more time to complete the new episodes; the second season started less than two months after the first season finale.

16. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

I find it extremely depressing that Ultimate Spider-Man has one of the smallest fanbases out of any animated series in the past decade.

17. Medinnus

Medinnus Moderator
    Staff Member Moderator

I find it depressing that its written so poorly. I don't think that its being treated unfairly; compared to other animated series, it really isn't that good. I mean, you can say "well, its written for children, and not adults" and on that scale it might be successful - but fanbases are formed by adults, not children.

I mean, I wanted to like the show. I really did; while I haven't read the comics since the clone saga days, the general franchise as portrayed in other cartoon series have been enjoyable for me. I was a decent demographic of a potential audience - I have a kid between the ages of 6 and 14, and I was pre-inclined to like it. I liked SSM, but as I discovered and watched it after it had already been cancelled, I didn't have resentment issues over its being cancelled.

Then came the press releases...

* Loeb saying continuity wasn't important, and that they wanted standalone episodes - To me, this was the warning shot across the bow. Continuity - on many levels - is essential for anything that is going to rise above mediocre storytelling. And in fact, there is actually quite a bit of meta-continuity within USM - but by the time the writers figured out it was necessary and beneficial, half of season one was already over.

* The initial announcement of the "Amazing Friends" bit wasn't so bad - I am not a particular fan of Luke Cage, but I liked Iron Fist well enough, and I have always been a fan of Richard Ryder as Nova the Human Rocket. White Tiger I didn't care much about one way or another. Then came the clarifications - they were going to de-age Luke Cage and Iron Fist into high school students, and Nova wasn't going to be Richard Ryder, but a new character devised by Loeb. I have always found de-aging characters to be a stupid concept that almost never works; Luke Cage's origin was that he was experimented on in prison, where he was for a crime he didn't commit. The essence of the character was resentment against the Establishment, and his motivation was to help people being victimized by the system. Iron Fist trained in K'un L'un for many years to achieve his level of martial arts acumen; his hallmarks were a sense of justice and a wisdom and maturity that doesn't work in a teenage kid. The new Nova is grating and devoid of any depth, so much less than Richard Ryder would have been.

The only member of the supporting cast I like is White Tiger, and she's pretty much ignored. At least they didn't have to retconn her character into a blank slate or a stereotype caricature of her former incarnations.

* The chibi and "wacky" humor. There has always been an element of humor in Spider-Man's idiom, but it has always been sarcastic and quippy in line with the plot. Their attempt at fourth-wall breaking was invariably ill-conceived and ill-timed, often breaking any dramatic or thematic rhythm they had going. Worst of all, it just wasn't that funny, especially when they'd repeat it into the ground.

With all of those factors, they lost me almost before they broadcast the first episode, although I was still inclined to give them a shot - and I did, buying the first six episodes on iTunes. But it became very clear that they were writing down to their intended demographic, and didn't care enough to try and appeal outside the 6-14 slot. Their initial half-season was insipid, with little beyond some decent character design and animation sequences to recommend it.

When you stumble like that, it shouldn't be surprising that you find limited appeal for anyone outside of the 6-14 range. Adults who were seeking more than what they got turned away, and its much harder to regain someone once you've lost them than getting them in the first place. Since the first half-season, the episodes have been getting better - this last stinker of an episode notwithstanding - but the damage for many has already been done.

#17 Medinnus, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2013
  18. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

I'm horribly ashamed of liking this show now. Maybe this show is genuinely bad, and I'm like despite that.

Well forget that, if something is legitimately bad then I shouldn't like it anymore.

19. strugler

strugler Member

Couldn't have said it better meddinus.
    I gave the show a chance, but after 12 mediocre episodes I just could watch any longer. The writing has to be the worst for a superhero show.

I tuned in for the carnage episode which I thought was meh. Other episodes I tried watching but couldn't get past the first 10min.

Meddinus I'm curious to know what does your kid think of the show since he falls under the target demographic?

20. NuclearBLt

NuclearBLt Member

Or maybe I should stay off of message boards more often and not let what people I never met in reallife say worry me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.